Petr Cech

eldo

Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech believes he can play on at the highest level for another 10 years.

http://www1.skysport...s-10-more-years

The 29-year-old's long-term future at Stamford Bridge has been the subject of speculation after an indifferent campaign by his high standards.

The Bluesspacer.gif signed Thibaud Courtois as the Czech Republicspacer.gif international's eventual long-term replacement before loaning him out to Atletico Madridspacer.gif so that he can get some valuable first-team experience under his belt.

However, Cechspacer.gif has no plans to quit and feels he can play on at Stamford Bridge until he is 39 as goalkeepers can have longer careers than outfield players.

"I think, for an outfield player, it's different because maybe they can't continue to do what they were doing before as they get older and then they need to adjust their game in order to think faster, or something. But, as a goalkeeper, I think your reactions can be more or less the same until you are 39"

Experience

"I think that gives you a lot of experience. In your life, you can be a professional player at the highest level only once and that means, as long as I can play at that level, I will carry on. I hope I have another six or seven years to play.

"In terms of goalkeeping, you need to know that you are still sharp, still strong and that you have a good speed of execution in terms of reflex movements and hand-eye co-ordination.

"These are the things you train the most on and they are the results you compare to see if you are still at the same level.

"I think, for an outfield player, it's different because maybe they can't continue to do what they were doing before as they get older and then they need to adjust their game in order to think faster, or something.

"But, as a goalkeeper, I think your reactions can be more or less the same until you are 39."

Is there any news about Courtois...cause i remember there were rumours that Atletico Madrid wanted him on-loan next season as well..

Yeah they do. That was André's plan though, so who knows what RDM/New manager would do. Ranieri/Mourinho brought Cech straight into the squad when they signed him, albeit because Cudicini picked up and injury in pre-season. But I do imagine he'll be back at Chelsea for our pre-season and will be given his shot.

That more sobering assessment was shared by the goalkeeper, Petr Cech, as he addressed Chelsea's immediate prospects. "It would be wrong to judge on one game," he said. "We are far from being over [our problems] this season, so let's wait. It was important that an English team is still in the Champions League, and important for the country's coefficient as well. The Italian and Spanish teams are doing well and maybe fourth place in the Premier League may not get you into the Champions League the season after next.

"We are still on track. We can still finish third and our next two games in the Premier League will be crucial. In 10 days' time, this season could look completely different again, in a good or a bad way. For now, we can still think we can win two trophies, and hopefully we will win at least one. If we do that we can attract players and strengthen the squad for next year, too."

Was anyone else furious with Cech conceding that second goal? Once again he was caught off his line! This seems to be a major problem with Cech, even v. Birmingham or West Brom he was almost done by a chip because he was caught off his line.

Not taking anything away from the strike, but him wondering off his line is a common trait and it's starting to be exposed.

Was anyone else furious with Cech conceding that second goal? Once again he was caught off his line! This seems to be a major problem with Cech, even v. Birmingham or West Brom he was almost done by a chip because he was caught off his line.

Not taking anything away from the strike, but him wondering off his line is a common trait and it's starting to be exposed.

I think he became a bit complacent when the game was in the bag....

I think he became a bit complacent when the game was in the bag....

I think it's a trend in his game though. I've been watching him closely lately and him venturing off his line is becoming increasingly worrying and obvious. I think some teams could quickly figure this out..

I disliked how he didn't even try to catch the ball, kinda like with the Nani shot in the first ManUtd game. Due to his height I'm more worried about his effort than his positioning in such cases.

I'm more concerned you lot think any goalkeeper in the world could have reached that shot, in all honesty.

:lol: I agree, that shot was impossible. And let's not forget that amazing save he made in the first half. Cech, imo, is the type of keeper who is smart enough to do a lot in a game and make it look easy, unlike Van Dersar, for example, who made every simple save look dramatic.

Yet van der Sar was an amazing goalkeeper in his own right. But that is another debate.

I see no cause for concern in Cech's performances. Even during his best days he was prone to the odd error. Yes, there are shots he should have saved, but think of the occasions even this season when he was single-handedly (no pun intended) won us matches. He is no longer the keeper he once was, but he is still a damned fine all-round goalkeeper and remains one of the world's best. This season we have leaked goals because our defence is now shot. With all respect, Ivanovic and Luiz are no Gallas and Carvalho. Terry is not as good as he was, and I'd love to know who this imposter dressed up as Ashley Cole is. Don't even get me started on Bosingwa! Our style of play is more adventurous as well, which has led to us conceding goals more often. You can't blame the goalkeeper at all. If you were to make a count of the amount of times Cech has made a stunning match-winning save in the dying seconds and compare them to the amount of shocking gaffes he has committed, you'd be looking at a 10:1 ratio. As a keeper myself and also a goalkeeping coach, I'll take that.

I think he's had some of his best games lately. I was hoping to see some positive comments when I entered this thread but instead people are criticizing him. Goalkeepers usually already get very little love but he made 2 superb saves yesterday and was probably our best player over the two legs against Napoli.

Yet van der Sar was an amazing goalkeeper in his own right. But that is another debate.

Of course, there is no denying that. I was merely commenting on the style of saves that Petr often makes by being in the perfect position, as opposed to van der sar's full-stretch slow motion saves he seemed to make for the simplest of shots.

I see no cause for concern in Cech's performances. Even during his best days he was prone to the odd error. Yes, there are shots he should have saved, but think of the occasions even this season when he was single-handedly (no pun intended) won us matches. He is no longer the keeper he once was, but he is still a damned fine all-round goalkeeper and remains one of the world's best. This season we have leaked goals because our defence is now shot. With all respect, Ivanovic and Luiz are no Gallas and Carvalho. Terry is not as good as he was, and I'd love to know who this imposter dressed up as Ashley Cole is. Don't even get me started on Bosingwa! Our style of play is more adventurous as well, which has led to us conceding goals more often. You can't blame the goalkeeper at all. If you were to make a count of the amount of times Cech has made a stunning match-winning save in the dying seconds and compare them to the amount of shocking gaffes he has committed, you'd be looking at a 10:1 ratio. As a keeper myself and also a goalkeeping coach, I'll take that.

Totally agree. I would even add that he has been the most consistent in the back for us this season.

I'm more concerned you lot think any goalkeeper in the world could have reached that shot, in all honesty.

Not trying to take anything away from the shot, or even how he's been this season, but this is a weakness that's becoming increasingly evident in his game. His reactions for the low shots and such are still up there, but it's these kinds of shots were you see such minimal effort to attempt the save and I think this comes down to his poor footwork. It was exposed in the Arsenal game too when he should've got a glove to Van Persie's goal.

I disliked how he didn't even try to catch the ball, kinda like with the Nani shot in the first ManUtd game. Due to his height I'm more worried about his effort than his positioning in such cases.

Yeah, it's more both for me though, because he could've used that height with much more effectiveness if he's been closer to his line. He made some good one-on-one saves this season and even in the game, but these long range shots are ones he's struggling with.