Petr Cech

eldo

People don't appreciate what they have until it's gone.

Half of the people who want to see Courtois displace Cech will watch this young man come in, thinking he is as good as Cech, and they will only be disappointed. Courtois will, one day, be as good as - maybe even better than - Cech's current standard, but right now Cech is the better keeper.

I think some people are thinking off the Cech of a couple of seasons ago and not the one who is presently in goal. The simple fact is that he's actually costing us points for the first time I can remember. He looks dodgy at crosses despite our defence being more settled now than it has done for a while.

He'll go down in history as our greatest keeper but I can't think of a single point from this season which will be used to support that argument.

Honestly I don't see this gulf in class. If Courtois was here this season then he would've got a chance already because Cech has been dropped once already. I'd drop him for the Spurs game to be quite honest but Schwarzer isn't the right replacement.

I think some people are thinking off the Cech of a couple of seasons ago and not the one who is presently in goal. The simple fact is that he's actually costing us points for the first time I can remember. He looks dodgy at crosses despite our defence being more settled now than it has done for a while.

He'll go down in history as our greatest keeper but I can't think of a single point from this season which will be used to support that argument.

Honestly I don't see this gulf in class. If Courtois was here this season then he would've got a chance already because Cech has been dropped once already. I'd drop him for the Spurs game to be quite honest but Schwarzer isn't the right replacement.

Each to their own, but I have to pick you up on that point I've highlighted. He's made some absolutely outstanding saves this season, particularly against Bayern in the Super Cup, which for me was his single-best ever performance for us. Every goalkeeper makes mistakes, even when he was at what you would identify as his best in 2004-2006 he made some absolute howlers, but either managed to bail himself out or Riccy Carvalho or JT would do it for him. Then let us not forget how poor he was for large periods in 2008, either side of the Euros, where he was, quite frankly, terrible. Since his head injury his form has peaked and dipped but there are far, far more highs than lows.

Each to their own, but I have to pick you up on that point I've highlighted. He's made some absolutely outstanding saves this season, particularly against Bayern in the Super Cup, which for me was his single-best ever performance for us. Every goalkeeper makes mistakes, even when he was at what you would identify as his best in 2004-2006 he made some absolute howlers, but either managed to bail himself out or Riccy Carvalho or JT would do it for him. Then let us not forget how poor he was for large periods in 2008, either side of the Euros, where he was, quite frankly, terrible. Since his head injury his form has peaked and dipped but there are far, far more highs than lows.

He made some fine saves in that match, but what you want is consistency in that position. He's looked a little skittish at crosses which you don't expect with someone of his experience and when that's the main thing he has over Courtois then you have to wonder why we aren't jumping at the chance to give the Belgian a chance.

He made some fine saves in that match, but what you want is consistency in that position. He's looked a little skittish at crosses which you don't expect with someone of his experience and when that's the main thing he has over Courtois then you have to wonder why we aren't jumping at the chance to give the Belgian a chance.

Agreed he has been a little shaky. My point is that in the past when he's looked shaky, he has always bounced back and demonstrated how good he is.

The headache, though - and it is a nice headache to have, in a way - is whether or not to replace him with Courtois. Sadly it is a cyclical argument. The fact is none of us will know what will happen. Mourinho has shown sentiment is not a problem in the way he has replaced Casillas and Cole respectively with better performing players over the last two seasons. I would much rather see Petr leave than be discarded in the same was Casillas was at Real, though.

No wonder, he's got absolutely no competition. Sometimes I just wished he changed his nationality so he would get a chance to have some kind of success on the international level. He would never do that, though.

Similar case with Ivanovic and the Serbian Player of the Year award.

Similar case with Ivanovic and the Serbian Player of the Year award.

Well, he'll have some competition in Kolarov and Matić, and maybe Nastasić. Subotić has been injured for most of the season so he's out from the competition.

Well, he'll have some competition in Kolarov and Matić, and maybe Nastasić. Subotić has been injured for most of the season so he's out from the competition.

-iva--subotic--nastasic--kolarov-

--------------matic--------------

How the hell did they not qualify for WC?? What a shame!!

True, supposed Ivanovic will have more competition now but won't be surprised if he wins it again.

Because of former NT coach and lack of good attackers, but now with new coach and some youngsters coming (Marković and Mitrović) hopefully we'll produce some good results.

A bit off-topic but is this guy named Mitrovic from Mitrovica or is it just a coinsidence?

Made a great save before that in the second half, saving a sitter, but this cost us the win. By the way, it was a first game of a new coach Pavel Vrba. Guess Cech definitely did not make him happy, screwing up his debut :D

Made a great save before that in the second half, saving a sitter, but this cost us the win. By the way, it was a first game of a new coach Pavel Vrba. Guess Cech definitely did not make him happy, screwing up his debut :D

You sound happy about the result..

You sound happy about the result..

Nah, I'm just used to being disappointed in our country's results. BTW, Tomas Rosicky publicly slated Cech for not saving the goal, saying he should be able to do so. Fucking wanker.

Nah, I'm just used to being disappointed in our country's results.

That's the spirit. :Goober:

BTW, Tomas Rosicky publicly slated Cech for not saving the goal, saying he should be able to do so. Fucking wanker.

What did he say exactly?