Stamford Bridge set for major redevelopment?

BlueLion.

Rumours regarding a potential redevelopment of Stamford Bridge have begun to circulate after The Sunday Times reported that Chelsea are in talks with the RFU over a potential temporary move to Twickenham.

Despite the 2015 Rugby Union World Cup meaning that any potential switch would be delayed until the 2016/17 season at the latest, Sky Sports have similarly reported that the Blues are seriously considering a substantial redevelopment of their Stamford Bridge home.

An RFU spokesperson, commenting in The Sunday Times, said: "We are regularly contacted by a variety of organisations, within and outside sport, on a wide range of opportunities concerning the use of what we believe is a world-class stadium.
"We have had an inquiry from Chelsea FC but have not had any discussions of any substance.
"While we don't comment on any specific confidential conversations, each request is taken on its merit, assessing a variety of factors, such as the effect on the pitch, availability, transport and local considerations and other important implications".
Football has never been played at Twickenham - which has a capacity of 82,000 - but the stadium has occasionally been used as a rugby league venue, and also hosted a number of concerts.
Located a matter of miles away from Chelsea's home ground, Twickenham would be a viable alternative whilst Stamford Bridge is regenerated.
As to how the Blues' stadium could be reconfigured to allow the desired 18,500-seat expansion to a capacity of 60,000 is yet unclear, though it is likely that any redevelopment would see the deconstruction of one - or perhaps both - of the hotels behind the Shed End to allow that stand to be rebuilt.
In June, The Daily Mail reported a potential path to follow was the construction of decking over the District line railway that runs alongside Stamford Bridge - which in turn could lead to reduced pedestrian traffic on Fulham Road and nearby streets on matchdays.
With the existing Battersea Power Station site a prime target for the Blues prior to its acquisition by Malaysian developers SP Setia and Sime Darby in 2012, it has become exceedingly clear that expansion of Chelsea's current home is perhaps the best route forward and these plans would suggest that.

Of course, Chelsea Football Club was founded to play in Stamford Bridge, which has been in existence far longer than the club - that idea, then, to remain in the club's spiritual home is one that will prove popular amongst the Blues faithful.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this idea! Mainly because Twickenham is closer to me than The Bridge :lol: Certainly would be an experience watching our home games there.

I look forward to seeing what plans they have to expand The Bridge also. Like Alex said, The Shed and West stand are the only two stands that can be redeveloped due to the train line and cemetery. I can't see how they will get 18'000 extra seats by just adding onto two stands.... we will see I guess.

Agreed. Still a little confused as to how we'll expand. Do we expand the Shed and the West Stand, leaving a two-tier approach to the stadium, <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140314011157/areanokishifanon/images/f/f0/St.James" href="http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140314011157/areanokishifanon/images/f/f0/St.James" _park_(newcastle).jpg"="">like St James' Park?

Personally, I don't like the St James' Park concept at all but if it's the only option to redevelop the Bridge then I hope our architects make something iconic and unique out of it.

Personally, I don't like the St James' Park concept at all but if it's the only option to redevelop the Bridge then I hope our architects make something iconic and unique out of it.

Either way, I'd rather stay at the Bridge with an architecturally-unique stadium, rather than some soulless bowl like the Emirates.

I like this idea! Mainly because Twickenham is closer to me than The Bridge :lol: Certainly would be an experience watching our home games there.

I look forward to seeing what plans they have to expand The Bridge also. Like Alex said, The Shed and West stand are the only two stands that can be redeveloped due to the train line and cemetery. I can't see how they will get 18'000 extra seats by just adding onto two stands.... we will see I guess.

Well the Daily Mail article suggested decking over the District Line on the East Stand, á la Villa Park's Doug Ellis Stand. Then the Shed could be expanded as I said, quite possibly by building a third tier and having it connect in the corners with the existing West Stand structure (thus building over the megastore, as indicated by the orange triangle below) and the West Stand itself might be expandable, but the issue is the amount of exits. It's a health and safety nightmare. This is going to cost at least £500m to do, as we'll have to buy the hotels and quite possibly these plots of land (red area):

z6imjaX.jpg

Either way, I'd rather stay at the Bridge with an architecturally-unique stadium, rather than some soulless bowl like the Emirates.

Well the Daily Mail article suggested decking over the District Line on the East Stand, á la Villa Park's Doug Ellis Stand. Then the Shed could be expanded as I said, quite possibly by building a third tier and having it connect in the corners with the existing West Stand structure (thus building over the megastore, as indicated by the orange triangle below) and the West Stand itself might be expandable, but the issue is the amount of exits. It's a health and safety nightmare. This is going to cost at least £500m to do, as we'll have to buy the hotels and quite possibly these plots of land (red area):

z6imjaX.jpg

Ok, I see. So the decking would lead the East Stand to the streets the other side of the District Line and onto the Fulham Road that way.

Knocking down the hotels would, I assume, leave adding a third tier to The Shed quite simple but that would only add another 6/8 thousand seats if you connect the corners with the West and East stands? Unsure how you could add to the West, only with another tier which would make it huge and quite silly tbh. Where would the other 10'000 seats come from?

Ok, I see. So the decking would lead the East Stand to the streets the other side of the District Line and onto the Fulham Road that way.

Knocking down the hotels would, I assume, leave adding a third tier to The Shed quite simple but that would only add another 6/8 thousand seats if you connect the corners with the West and East stands? Unsure how you could add to the West, only with another tier which would make it huge and quite silly tbh. Where would the other 10'000 seats come from?

Well decking over the East Stand would allow for a fourth tier on that stand, adding another 6,000 seats at least. A third and fourth tier on the Shed, connected with the West and East Stands could add another 7,000. That's 13,000-ish. We'd probably then have to look at extending the corners of the MHS for another 1,500 or so, but that would still leave us well short of the desired 60,000.

This is how I think we could expand, but it would involve serious investment. Apologies for the bad handwriting. Bear in mind I'm no engineer or architect so this could be absolute bollocks. It cut off at the bottom, it should say something along the lines of connecting the corners of the Shed with the East and West Stands to add another 1500-ish seats.

1P60hNU.jpg

This is how I think we could expand, but it would involve serious investment. Apologies for the bad handwriting. Bear in mind I'm no engineer or architect so this could be absolute bollocks. It cut off at the bottom, it should say something along the lines of connecting the corners of the Shed with the East and West Stands to add another 1500-ish seats.

1P60hNU.jpg

Is a 4th tier really feasible though. The view from the back of the East stand is bad enough as it is.