• Remy
    • Hazard (sub)
    • Drogba (sub)
    • Matic (sub)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thought is that it would take a lot of effort to turn Ake into a barely acceptable LB, whereas he could become a really good DM. My preference would be to encourage Ake to become the best player he can possibly be and that would mean allowing him to play at his best position.

It could be though that the versatility you quite rightly point out will allow Ake to hold down a squad place and buy himself time to develop here.

The Only Place to Be, is that you?

Overall a good performance, but didn't like team attitude in both half. In first half too arrogant, in second too selfish. This Schurrle obsession with "cut inside and shot" starting to annoying, even he is unlucky to score, but taking 12 shots is too much. And why he takes corners? It always looks random, most of the times he can't overkick first defender.

I also thought Shurrle was good. He showed a willingness to get things done. Also his free kicks are also very good and even though he only got three shots on target there is no point counting a shot on target if it is struck straight at the keeper,loads of his shots were not far off. He tracked back well and was always causing Boltons defenders trouble.

Drogba's touch was always hot and cold, mainly cold. We all remember the spectacular moments that built Didier's reputation and they are glorious memories but, throughout his Stamford Bridge career there were many more bad touches than great ones. The Drog has not lost his touch, on average it was never that great in the first place; what he's lost is his ability to make up for it.

Exactly, I remember how many times Drogba turned on irritating 'first touch pass' mode - he tried to play everything on first touch, and mostly he was loosing the ball.

I also thought Shurrle was good. He showed a willingness to get things done. Also his free kicks are also very good and even though he only got three shots on target there is no point counting a shot on target if it is struck straight at the keeper,loads of his shots were not far off. He tracked back well and was always causing Boltons defenders trouble.

I thought Schurrle was bordering average in all honesty. It seems he decided that when he crossed the white line last night it was all about him and the decision to take everyone on and not pass was made from the start. His FK's were decent but the options he had when going on these solo runs was quite alarming. Salah, Remy and Oscar all made very good runs where they could of been played in on numerous occasions.

I thought Salah looked really sharp last night, he was direct and also created some good chances for others. Ake was really solid, he looked so composed on the ball and distributed it very well all night. Filipe Luis is growing on me and the way things are with Ivanovic the transition should be simple for me with Azpi going to RB and Luis at LB. The goal was so fucking avoidable it was scary......Nobody challenging the man and for Cech to be beaten from just inside the 18 yard box is really, really poor.

We have progressed but there is still work to do, the defence still look worryingly shaky when teams either have a set piece or get at us with pace. I think the positives level out the negatives and I fully expect us to see off Shrewsbury in the next round but we must be much better.

@Special Juan I understand your perspective but I would rather have a player trying things and getting involved rather than a player that's just a passenger.

P.S I tried quoting you but for some reason it doesn't work.

@Special Juan I understand your perspective but I would rather have a player trying things and getting involved rather than a player that's just a passenger.

P.S I tried quoting you but for some reason it doesn't work.

He wouldn't of been a passenger because he would of been assisting. Andre works incredibly hard both on and off the ball but last night he was on a martyr mission just to do things alone, I mean he did the same with FK's. Of course this could of been instructed but after so long and it doesn't work something else should of been changed/tried.

If Schurrle can get a run in the team and keep getting shooting opportunities like tonight, I believe he will score about 15 goals this season. Think hes one of those guys who needs a sequence of goals to start a decent run. Sure he only got 3 shots on target out of 12 but hes getting shooting opportunities due to him not being afraid to shoot when others would maybe pass and that itself is encouraging giving how Hazard and Willian sometimes refuse to shoot when in a decent position a lot last season.

30 yards from goal is not really a shooting opportunity.

I tend to agree with Special Juan on Schuerrle.... I can't help but think of Tadic, Yarmolenko, Cuadrado, or maybe even Brahimi when I see a couple of our wingers operating (Willian, Schuerrle). I think the clock is ticking for Willian (in the mind of JM and others). We have too many young players and possible targets, plus high aspirations for this club to not expect more of a winger/AM.

Schuerrle strikes the ball very well, and plays counterattack well, but doesn't take on defenders with the ball at his feet nor make the better decisions on build-up play. This is the same thing I saw from him before Chelsea bought him from Leverkusen. 50-50.

I tend to agree with Special Juan on Schuerrle.... I can't help but think of Tadic, Yarmolenko, Cuadrado, or maybe even Brahimi when I see a couple of our wingers operating (Willian, Schuerrle). I think the clock is ticking for Willian (in the mind of JM and others). We have too many young players and possible targets, plus high aspirations for this club to not expect more of a winger/AM.

Schuerrle strikes the ball very well, and plays counterattack well, but doesn't take on defenders with the ball at his feet nor make the better decisions on build-up play. This is the same thing I saw from him before Chelsea bought him from Leverkusen. 50-50.

None of our ams bar hazard beat the defender unless it's on the counter.

I thought Schurrle, Oscar and Salah too to some extent were all selfish. Remy just seemed to follow suit since he wasn't going to get much service.

Thought Oscar, Schurrle and Salah pretty much confirmed last night that if Hazard is injured for any length of time we will be in serious trouble.

This is what I was saying in another thread, we have no proper dribbler on the right wing. We used to have robben and Cole, when we were the best 3 teams in Europe.

Schurlle can't beat his man often enough so he ends up shooting from 30yards because he can't get close enough. Willian is a strange one, at first it seems he can do it, then it seems he just does stopovers without actually beating his marker, but since his thread is as divided as Oscar's, then he's actually not good enough on his main ability. Salah is actually a good dribbler but he is easily pushed off the ball and he seems to shoot the ball as hard as my little sister. Even Jésus navas is a far better dribbler than any other am in our team except hazard. Salah/willian/schurlle all dribble by knocking the ball into space and running to get it, but when the bus is parked, only players like hazard, reus, shaqiri, cuadrado, can take on their marker one on one, with the ball close to their feet.

We need better dribbler on the right to make my heart not to beat everytime hazard falls on the ground.