Blues legend Lampard rescues 10-man City

BlueLion.

Chelsea legend Frank Lampard scored a late leveller for new club Manchester City to earn the champions a share of the spoils at Etihad Stadium.

Pablo Zabaletta saw red for City after he was shown a second yellow card for an altercation with Diego Costa, and within moments of his dismissal Andre Schurrle gave Chelsea the lead.

Costa then saw a deflected strike hit the woodwork with Joe Hart well beaten, only for Lampard to arrive late in the area and finish with trademark aplomb.

That goal was the ultimate sucker punch for Chelsea, who looked completely comfortable to sit on their lead given their man advantage. The Blues were understandably stunned and were forced to quickly recover to compose themselves and leave with a credible draw.

After many wonderful moments in a Chelsea shirt, a clearly remorseful Lampard approached the vociferously vocal Blues travelling support at the end of the match - almost apologetically applauding the fans that chanted his name for 13 seasons, and throughout this match also.

The point, in truth, is the least City deserved for a strong performance, where they dominated for large parts of the match. Whilst Thibaut Courtois was relatively untroubled - one very good save from Sergio Aguero besides - City had the lion's share of possession and Chelsea were forced to showcase their defensive steel for prolonged periods to keep the champions at bay.

And even when the Blues went a goal up with a man advantage, Manuel Pellegrini's side still looked more than capable of responding, and in the end José Mourinho will rue not going for the jugular after Schurrle's strike.

Ultimately, this performance thoroughly vindicated City's title as Premier League champions, and the script was written for Lampard for make Chelsea pay for their lethargy, and he duly delivered. The terrific James Milner's driving run was not picked up by Schurrle, and his cross was met terrifically by Lampard to earn his new side a warranted share of the spoils.

A draw means Chelsea retain top spot, moving three points clear of second-placed Southampton. Crucially, and more to the point, their were at least able to maintain their five-point advantage over City, which, even at this early stage of the season, could prove pivotal come May.

Countless glorious moments for Frank Lampard in Chelsea blue - in Bolton and Munich to name but two - have not been undone. A dropped two points represents negligible recompense for his service of nearly 650 matches and 211 goals.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

BREAKING:

Roman Abramovich phone conversation to Jose Mourinho and Mike Emenalo (Sporting Director) after the Chelsea drew with Manchester City at the Etihad amidst Frank Lampard late equalizer:

Roman: Congrat Jose, I have always knew you are a Great Manager.

Jose: (With shock/ scare) Thanks.

Roman: I didnt see the game but my PA told me that young Great German (Schurle) that gave Germany the World Cup scores and Chelsea Legend, Lampard.

Jose: yes Sir.

Roman: So, we are still keeping our 100% record in the EPL intact, thats great.

Jose: No Sir, out of 5, we won 4 and drew 1.

Roman: Which one is that? We (Chelsea) only drew in the Uefa Champions League

Jose: Frank Lampard was introduced and he scores and the game ended Man City 1 v Chelsea 1

Roman: What? Lampard scores own goal again after John Terry scores own goal against Swansea last week?

Jose: No Sir, he scores playing for Man City

Roman: What? He scores against us after all this years, that boy is an ingrate, and the FA, FIFA and UEFA will allow the goal to stand.

Jose: No sir, He is a professional, he is allowed to scores against us if given the chance.

Roman: Shut up Jose, why would you and your players allow him scores, where you not suppose to know the best way to stop that Goal scoring machine called Lampard?

Jose: Sir, its Terry, before he remembers he is not with Chelsea again, he has shoot, and our young goal keeper, Courtois, cant stop it.

Roman: Why would you use that small boy against Frank Lampard team, you would have use Cech?

Jose: but.

Roman: Shut up, by the way, why would you allow Lampard to leave Chelsea?

Jose: I want him to stay, but the all those guys at the office calling themselves Directors wont give him a new contract because they believe he is old.

Roman: stay on the line; let me put a call through to Mike Emenalo and that fat belly Chairman

Putting Jose on hold, Roman dialed Mike Emenalo Number:

Roman: Hello Mike Why would you approve Lampard to leave Chelsea?

Mike Emenalo: Sir, you gave us instruction on how to give players over the age of 30 a new deal, and Lampard is in his late 30s

Roman: I thought you always claim to know it all, why am I paying you good salaries? Cant you find a way to convince me that Lampard case is exceptional?

Mike Emenalo: but

Roman: Wait, let me invite the coach again to this vital conversation

Roman tries to invite Jose to the conversation again, Mourinho didnt pick the call. and Emenalo also hung up and switch off his mobile.

After trying for sometimes, he sent a text to them:

You all refuse to answer my call again?

If at the end of the season, Chelsea didnt win the EPL, you know what to do, I will be waiting for your resignation letter Honorably.

BREAKING: Roman Abramovich phone conversation to Jose Mourinho and Mike Emenalo (Sporting Director) after the Chelsea drew with Manchester City at the Etihad amidst Frank Lampard late equalizer: Roman: Congrat Jose, I have always knew you are a Great Manager. Jose: (With shock/ scare) Thanks. Roman: I didnt see the game but my PA told me that young Great German (Schurle) that gave Germany the World Cup scores and Chelsea Legend, Lampard. Jose: yes Sir. Roman: So, we are still keeping our 100% record in the EPL intact, thats great. Jose: No Sir, out of 5, we won 4 and drew 1. Roman: Which one is that? We (Chelsea) only drew in the Uefa Champions League Jose: Frank Lampard was introduced and he scores and the game ended Man City 1 v Chelsea 1 Roman: What? Lampard scores own goal again after John Terry scores own goal against Swansea last week? Jose: No Sir, he scores playing for Man City Roman: What? He scores against us after all this years, that boy is an ingrate, and the FA, FIFA and UEFA will allow the goal to stand. Jose: No sir, He is a professional, he is allowed to scores against us if given the chance. Roman: Shut up Jose, why would you and your players allow him scores, where you not suppose to know the best way to stop that Goal scoring machine called Lampard? Jose: Sir, its Terry, before he remembers he is not with Chelsea again, he has shoot, and our young goal keeper, Courtois, cant stop it. Roman: Why would you use that small boy against Frank Lampard team, you would have use Cech? Jose: but. Roman: Shut up, by the way, why would you allow Lampard to leave Chelsea? Jose: I want him to stay, but the all those guys at the office calling themselves Directors wont give him a new contract because they believe he is old. Roman: stay on the line; let me put a call through to Mike Emenalo and that fat belly Chairman Putting Jose on hold, Roman dialed Mike Emenalo Number: Roman: Hello Mike Why would you approve Lampard to leave Chelsea? Mike Emenalo: Sir, you gave us instruction on how to give players over the age of 30 a new deal, and Lampard is in his late 30s Roman: I thought you always claim to know it all, why am I paying you good salaries? Cant you find a way to convince me that Lampard case is exceptional? Mike Emenalo: but Roman: Wait, let me invite the coach again to this vital conversation Roman tries to invite Jose to the conversation again, Mourinho didnt pick the call. and Emenalo also hung up and switch off his mobile. After trying for sometimes, he sent a text to them: You all refuse to answer my call again? If at the end of the season, Chelsea didnt win the EPL, you know what to do, I will be waiting for your resignation letter Honorably.

:blink: