Chelsea v Schalke

Jase

No point playing Cech anymore if it is simply to keep him happy considering he now knows he won't be no1 no matter what so he will likely want to leave in Jan/next summer. Also I don't get about resting players, Schalke just got raped but last year we also played Basel and lost. Never underestimate teams in CL, if we are 2-0 up by half time then start resting Costa, Fabregas...etc.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No point playing Cech anymore if it is simply to keep him happy considering he now knows he won't be no1 no matter what so he will likely want to leave in Jan/next summer. Also I don't get about resting players, Schalke just got raped but last year we also played Basel and lost. Never underestimate teams in CL, if we are 2-0 up by half time then start resting Costa, Fabregas...etc.

Agree with the Cech part, but a couple of changes will not affect us too much. Remy, Ramires or Willian could do well without losing our balance.

I know we have a good squad depth and all but I can't see Mourinho making THAT many changes like some have suggested here with their preferred lineups. Schalke are a decent side and the last thing we need is for us to blow up stupidly in the opening game of the group stage again.

I don't think Cech will play Cahmpions League, maybe in the last games in the group stage when everything is done... I think Cech will play in the cups.

I would rest Costa, play Luis and Oscar for sure because I wouldn't play them against City, and maybe rest Cesc. Something like this:

Tibo, Iva, Terry, Cahill, Luis, Matic, Ramires, Oscar, Hazard, Willian, Remy

I think people are underestimating this match if they think the likes of Fabregas, Costa and Hazard will be rested. I expect to see Fabregas, Hazard and Costa all starting. This on paper is the second best team in the group. We have got the easiest group on paper out of the English teams. What we should aim to do and I am hoping Mourinho will do is take the first 3 games very seriously by playing pretty much our best team. We have 4 days to recover for the City game so while we have reliable backups this is our first match and we should show a signal of intent. Get this group done and dusted then rest players.

If we win our first 3 CL games we obviously will be on 9 points and pretty much have the group sealed. Going into the fourth game against Maribor is when we should look to rest the likes of Fabregas, Hazard and Costa. That is on the Wednesday night and 3 days later we play Liverpool at Anfield in a 12.45 kick off. Realistically that is when we should start mentioning resting our key players. Not in our first game! On the other hand Liverpool play Real Madrid that week and will have to play, pretty much their best team.

You see the difference? Keep the winning formula please. Win our first 3 games. Mission accomplished. Then we can rest players against the weakest team in our group so they can be 100% fresh for the Liverpool clash.

Although early in the season, the game against City will be a massive one as Chelsea could stay five points ahead of them, or even move to eight points ahead after just five rounds. The players have to be fresh, but at the same time the team must keep the momentum going and the confidence high, so a win against Schalke is a must.

----------- Diego Costa ----------

Hazard -------------------- Andre

----------- Willian Cesc ----------

--------------- Mikel ---------------

Filipe Terry Cahill Azpilicueta

------------- Courtois -------------

with Remy, Ramires and Matic coming off the bench for Diego Costa, Hazard and Cesc.

Although early in the season, the game against City will be a massive one as Chelsea could stay five points ahead of them, or even move to eight points ahead after just five rounds. The players have to be fresh, but at the same time the team must keep the momentum going and the confidence high, so a win against Schalke is a must.

----------- Diego Costa ----------

Hazard -------------------- Andre

----------- Willian Cesc ----------

--------------- Mikel ---------------

Filipe Terry Cahill Azpilicueta

------------- Courtois -------------

with Remy, Ramires and Matic coming off the bench for Diego Costa, Hazard and Cesc.

cech and Remy should both start along with Salah

Costa will be in when needed. If we leading at half time, don't think we need to play Costa. One reason makes me thinking Remy will start, is because he scored against Swansea.

Ermmm... hello, Costa scored a hattrick laughingsmiley001.gif

Ermmm... hello, Costa scored a hattrick laughingsmiley001.gif

That's the reason to keep him, he is our bazooka, unleashed when needed. I think our magnum rifle, Remy is enough. If not working, we then use our bazooka. If still not working, we should use our grenade, Drogba.

What the hell I'm talking about.

Yeah, would like to see a rotation in the XI on this one. Costa, Fabregas, Matic, Ivanovic and Hazard all deserve a nice rest.

Way too much rotation. When you make that many you lose the team cohesion and don't perform as well Due to the lack of understanding on the pitch. I say one to two. And if we put this to bed early then we take off the key players.

With city winless in the last two we can afford to take a draw in that fixture.

Way too much rotation. When you make that many you lose the team cohesion and don't perform as well Due to the lack of understanding on the pitch. I say one to two. And if we put this to bed early then we take off the key players.

With city winless in the last two we can afford to take a draw in that fixture.

Yeah, I would like to give all of them rest, but it's probably not possible and Jose might not do it. It's likely we'll see almost our usual starting XI(+Luis, - Ivan) with Costa, Fabregas and Matic taken off as soon as possible if we're winning.