Chelsea 1-1 Schalke

Jase

Man of the Match  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match?

The way the game was, I think it's better for us that we didn't win it. The draw should be a wake-up call and I hope the players and the manager realize that we can't afford treating this competition like it is Capital One Cup. This is UEFA Champions League and there's no time for taking it slow. I'm expecting a much better display against Sporting.

I'm also expecting Filipe Luis to be an important man for this club rather sooner than later.

I agree with this; last night's performance and result should do us more good than harm in the long run, especially with the Sporting/Maribor draw.

Some people here, and almost everyone in the media, have gotten carried away by our 12 point start to the season. Our squad is improved but it is not the finished article and we certainly can't expect to coast to any results. Even the Bolton game will be tricky with a squad team. To complete the squad rebuild will require either that some youngsters come through to fill the gaps or that we go back to the market. Probably the latter I think.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The importance of a proper finisher(costa) up front has been underestimated, that was the only thing preventing Mourinho from playing more attacking football last season. We would turn to Arsenal attacking in vein then conceding when we miss all our chances.

We have to pray Remy is far better finisher than drogba is or I can see Mourinho getting frustrated and going defensive once again if costa is not fit.

I'm not the best person in the world to comment on Drogba's performance since I always saw myself as being equally aware of his weaknesses as I was of his strengths. I would never have brought him back as a player and simply don't believe that he offers us anything worth spending a squad place on. The only thing which makes his return tolerable for me is that Jose did it. If any other manager had done this I'd have blown a gasket. I guess all of this makes me predisposed to see the negatives rather than the positives with Didier so it's best if I say nothing about his display.

I'm not a huge Remy fan either. My worry is that his touch is too loose and he therefore won't contribute to the precise controlled build up we aim for. Doesn't rule out him playing his part by just finishing things off however. :) That said, I do think that he improved us when he came on and deploying him wide looks like an option Jose may be able to use.

One of the things I love about Jose is his pragmatism. Any manager can decide to commit men forward but the trick is to be able to do it and win. If Jose doesn't have the players available to play on the front foot then he won't waste his time trying. If he needs to be defensive, he will. An attacking style is something we all want to see from our team but it's not an aim in itself; attack and win is the aim.

Finish off chances like in previous games and this game could've ended 4-1 (or 5-2, you pick).

Hopefully this won't be the case vs City.

Perhaps so but you can't deny that was an average performance, especially when we failed to control the game and still looking suspect defensively.

Perhaps we'd all agree that last night just confirmed what we already know. Change the results of the 4 PL games and the actual performances might attract just as much scrutiny as last night's. Those good PL results have stemmed from some good play but, to an extent, they have also camouflaged aspects of our play that could be better. Last night could turn out to be a helpful reminder of where we are in our development and a warning not to get ahead of ourselves.

Fucking hell. Why the fuck would we waste 40m on Draxler? Some fans are so fickle its unbelievable

First,this post was a joke to reduce tensions all over this forum cause everyone are like "bring back him,sell him,sack him blah blah"

Second,that thing doesn't change fact that Oscar is our worst player last couple of months,even from january he is lost and unrecognizable and I think if he doesn't improve in the future he could be benched or even selled.

And third,if we sell Oscar it would be min.30m € so please,tell me. do you think we would bankrupt if we add 10m for better player like Draxler is?

Some of my random insightful comments on the match:

- This team has no idea how to play with effort for a whole game. Since last year and probably before that, depending on 1) who they play or 2) whether or not they already scored determines how much effort they will play with at said point in the match. Mid-table team? Trot up and down pitch. Score 1-0 in our favor? Trot up and down the pitch. It's frustrating.

- Hazard weaves through defenders effortlessly. He was a little selfish at times yesterday though.

- Filipe Luis is quite dependable with the ball at his feet, and does a good job finding teammates with passes and crosses. He has to play more.

- Drogba....happy to have you back. Father Time has clearly taken some ability away from you, the explosiveness is gone. You made the right cuts, you played hard and were always aware of what to do...but you just didn't have to speed or touch of the past to finish it off. Aging sucks.

- Draxler is a speed demon. I'm shocked he's still at Schalke but who knows...maybe he stays for a prolonged period of time.

- Prince-Boateng...very versatile and very abrasive. Took some stupid shots, took some threatening shots but it was Huntelaar who managed to even it up.

My Take on yesterdays nightmare:

1) Agree with all Drogba should not start and be used as 15 Min supersub

2) Like Phillipe Luiz a lot. Hope we play him more

3) We are going to regret as hell not getting either Benatia or Mangala

4) Our Defence sucks. Terry and Cahill need to work very hard on their positioning. Endless times through ball I believe we should try Ivanovich in the middle and let Terry rest more.

5) Instead of getting better Matic has gone down a bit this year, hope that changes.

6) Our front players are fine and no worries there. Yesterday could have been 4-0 if luck was on our side.

I think we will all find out how good we are this weekend. City attack will terrorize our defence, so I can see another rugby score

My Take on yesterdays nightmare:

1) Agree with all Drogba should not start and be used as 15 Min supersub

2) Like Phillipe Luiz a lot. Hope we play him more

3) We are going to regret as hell not getting either Benatia or Mangala

4) Our Defence sucks. Terry and Cahill need to work very hard on their positioning. Endless times through ball I believe we should try Ivanovich in the middle and let Terry rest more.

5) Instead of getting better Matic has gone down a bit this year, hope that changes.

6) Our front players are fine and no worries there. Yesterday could have been 4-0 if luck was on our side.

I think we will all find out how good we are this weekend. City attack will terrorize our defence, so I can see another rugby score

A good analysis

A point against Schalke in our group isn't bad at all.

It's not the end of the world that we only got a draw but one can't help but to feel disappointed at getting only a draw. Schalke were horribly depleted and have been on a poor run of form. We were at home but failed to take our chances. We really let them off the hook. Sporting Lisbon away next is gonna be a tricky game.

First,this post was a joke to reduce tensions all over this forum cause everyone are like "bring back him,sell him,sack him blah blah"

Second,that thing doesn't change fact that Oscar is our worst player last couple of months,even from january he is lost and unrecognizable and I think if he doesn't improve in the future he could be benched or even selled.

And third,if we sell Oscar it would be min.30m € so please,tell me. do you think we would bankrupt if we add 10m for better player like Draxler is?

No, we wouldn't go bankrupt. But we don't need him, especially for 40m (he's worth 20m max, unfortunately football is all about money now). Oscar and Draxler play a different role, so I don't understand the comparision. Oscar is essential in our system, he's played well so far this season.

No, we wouldn't go bankrupt. But we don't need him, especially for 40m (he's worth 20m max, unfortunately football is all about money now). Oscar and Draxler play a different role, so I don't understand the comparision. Oscar is essential in our system, he's played well so far this season.

Draxler only worth 20m? He's only 20 and went to the world cup with Germany. If James was 35+ for Monaco. Draxler is damn good.

Draxler only worth 20m? He's only 20 and went to the world cup with Germany. If James was 35+ for Monaco. Draxler is damn good.

He should be worth 20m. But because of the amount of money in football, he'll go for around 45m.