Lack of English players in the squad

bababoom

You clearly don't know Jose Mourinho, its about who is the best for the situation at hand. Positions aren't one based on transfer fees or place of birth(though I do think British talent would take precedence if all things are equal). If Loftus Cheek and Chalobah are good enough they will play ahead of Van Ginkel, its as simple as that.

As for buying Shaw at £30m your fucking head is GONE. In no way did he prove he was a £30m player, not even close. Right now he's just potential English talent that has yet to be realized.

Shaw was the best natural left back in the PL last season, he 'proved' he was capable, and since he's just 19 years old.. the £30m (bargain) would soon be recouped.

What a stupid thing to say about Mourinho, he has practically zero record of bringing through academy players. Varane is Zouma, in the sense that these young foreign talents block the path of our own young talents. It's ok when 25-30 year olds are blocking the path of academy players, but for every raw foreign youth we buy it kills a potential domestic/home-grown academy player.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's simple, Lampard was a top player that even foreign clubs like Barcelona wanted him.

Cole the same, real coveted him so much.

But that wasn't the original point you made, was it?

The club has to develop its own if it wants the identity of English players in its team.

How can it be one rule for one and another for others?

Now in England which foreign team will covet a English player?

The only one I can see are sterling and maybe sturridge.

Now these are players that have many years left in them and could be in a top team for a while.

The Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard are on decline. So won't put them in that same bracket as these two.

Oh and we had one, in sturridge but gave him away because of Torres.....

Funny now you're using whether other clubs want the player as a criteria to judge if that player is shit or not. As if that is such a valid way to judge whether a player is good or not.

But that wasn't the original point you made, was it?

Funny now you're using whether other clubs want the player as a criteria to judge if that player is shit or not. As if that is such a valid way to judge whether a player is good or not.

For a top team that wants to rule all of Europe, yes!

Hey its not our fault that England players have regressed.

If anything England has to look at the German model because they must be doing something right.

I do believe bringing the English identity back to the football club is essential to Jose, and it will come in time with the introduction of young players and buying young English targets in future transfer markets, But the most important thing was to bring our Starting 11 and bench to a world class level first.

We must be patient, as the integrating of young players will only be successful with managerial stability at this club it seems.

For a top team that wants to rule all of Europe, yes!

Hey its not our fault that England players have regressed.

If anything England has to look at the German model because they must be doing something right.

Objective judgment. 'Objective judgment' indeed...

No offence mate but think you're being rather ignorant on the lack of English players issue in our squad. It's utterly depressing that we only have 2 English players in the squad right now and only 1 is an England international. We are an English club and we should be having more than that. It's what helps fans to associate the club and if we don't have that, we'll lose that bit of identity.

The situation is all the more depressing when you see Arsenal have 6 English players in their squad with all potential first choice in their starting XI. Their first XI was used to fill with foreigners while ours almost have a blend of the two but now, it's like we have switched places. Their squad now is more balanced while ours is top-heavy with foreigners.

Yes maybe we do not have a lot of English players but honestly when you look at the value for money that United, Liverpool and Arsenal have got for splashing out for players like Shaw, Lallana, Welbeck, Chambers and Oxlade-Chamberlain a few years back is it any wonder? I would rather get value on players who were foreign as opposed to English if it meant we got better deals. The better a team you have the more chance of winning the title, simple as that.

Some of the arguments for having an English core is ridiculous sometimes, we are an English club bla bla bla, yes I know that but honestly who out of the England squad tonight would get in the current Chelsea XI other than Cahill and perhaps Sterling and Baines?

Hart ahead of Courtois? No.

Stones and Baines ahead of Ivanovic and Azpilicueta? No. Well, Baines maybe? Even though Filipe Luis can't get in the team?

Jones ahead of Terry? No.

Chamberlain and Sterling ahead of Willian and Hazard? No. Sterling maybe would instead of Willian perhaps.

Henderson and Wilshere ahead of Cesc and Matic? No.

Rooney and Sturridge ahead of Costa? No.

If there were genuine English players better than what we have then I would be all for signing English players but the point is there aren't. Even the average English players get sold for a fucking shitload of money too, 35M for someone like Andy Carroll? We got a very good striker for 32M in Diego Costa. The value for money ain't there and until it changes I wouldn't be surprised if clubs like ourselves and Man City keep looking towards more foreign players than English players.

There is a reason England haven't won a world cup since 1966 and why teams like Liverpool and Arsenal, who have a lot of average English players in their starting XI, wont win the PL any time soon. I would rather we promoted youngsters from the academy than bought English players like Lallana or Henderson or whoever else for ridiculous prices if we were to have a more English core. We have had 3 of the very best English players of the last 10-15 years in our team last season in Lamps, Cole and Terry and we still have Terry, but who that is English right now is as good as any of those 3? There is nobody at that sort of standard, which was a high quality.

I get that it's an English club, but I'M NOT, and most of the fans aren't. Only a small percentage of the Chelsea fan base is English. Can't Belgian Chelsea fans identify with Tibo and Hazard? And German fans with Schurrle? And Brazilian fans with Ramires, Oscar, Willian and Costa?

I get that you're English and want an English core, but the club will ALWAYS have an identity, with or without English starters. I would rather have a good foreign player than a mediocre English one. But that's just me.

That being said, I would LOVE for some of the young guys like Baker, RLC, etc to make it to our squad.

If I supported say PSG I would want a French core to the team as much as I do an English core to Chelsea, me wanting a HG core has absolutely nothing to do with me being English.

Given our need to get back to having a top top squad and JT in relitevely good condition we can let it go this year, from next summer we really need to start rebuilding our host country group, starting with a back up keeper if Cech leaves and someone like John Stones.

Shaw was the best natural left back in the PL last season, he 'proved' he was capable, and since he's just 19 years old.. the £30m (bargain) would soon be recouped.

What a stupid thing to say about Mourinho, he has practically zero record of bringing through academy players. Varane is Zouma, in the sense that these young foreign talents block the path of our own young talents. It's ok when 25-30 year olds are blocking the path of academy players, but for every raw foreign youth we buy it kills a potential domestic/home-grown academy player.

You clearly know nothing about Jose. His first spell here there was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING close to a proper youth set up. When he went to Inter he basically built that foundation for them and brought in Balotelli into a treble winning squad... And yes at Real with their high standards he got Varane, Morata and Jese through.

What you guys will all come to understand sooner rather than later is for youth to come through you need stability in the management position. Until Jose is here for 4-5 yrs you won't see youth brought in.

You can wank all you want over Luke Shaw, he hasn't proven anything to me other than having some potential and being an English Chelsea fan... That's it. 30m for him looks ridiculously dumb.

Personally I don't have a problem with choosing the likes of Courtois over Hart, Fabregas over Henderson. It's only really a problem when there's such little difference in quality. Players like Salah and Zouma could easily be replaced by similarly talented English players.

Real exploded with the galáctico era in this modern world.

Nobody in the world really cared if they was Spanish or not. Just that it was a team assembled of top stars riping teams apart.

And those crying because lack of English, well you guys are ridiculous. There's not many good ones available at this moment.

Arsenal and Liverpool might have more English players but they are mediocre.

Save sterling who might be great if he continues the way he's going.

Other then that not much you can do because English players suck at the moment.

And a lot has to do with the pl giving large amount of money from TV revenue.

With the money that is being generated for even lower level teams does it benefits them to develop younger players or buy them to compete in the pl and stay in it?

So it has to fall on the big teams to develop them ala Barcelona. And that's what Mourinho has been talking about.

It won't happen this season, maybe next season but more then likely in 3 years we might see progress in this.

The thing is, there are quite a few really good English players knocking about right now, the team that played Norway have the potential to be a really good team unit, I tell you the problem and that's the dinosaur sitting in the dugout.

Im not saying we should splash money on any Tom, Dick or Harry but they are some talented young English players that would work in our system as squad players at the very least.

Yes maybe we do not have a lot of English players but honestly when you look at the value for money that United, Liverpool and Arsenal have got for splashing out for players like Shaw, Lallana, Welbeck, Chambers and Oxlade-Chamberlain a few years back is it any wonder? I would rather get value on players who were foreign as opposed to English if it meant we got better deals. The better a team you have the more chance of winning the title, simple as that.

Just because those clubs pay big money for those players, doesn't mean they are automatically average. Not their fault that those clubs pay so much for them.

Some of the arguments for having an English core is ridiculous sometimes, we are an English club bla bla bla, yes I know that but honestly who out of the England squad tonight would get in the current Chelsea XI other than Cahill and perhaps Sterling and Baines?

Hart ahead of Courtois? No.

Stones and Baines ahead of Ivanovic and Azpilicueta? No. Well, Baines maybe? Even though Filipe Luis can't get in the team?

Jones ahead of Terry? No.

Chamberlain and Sterling ahead of Willian and Hazard? No. Sterling maybe would instead of Willian perhaps.

Henderson and Wilshere ahead of Cesc and Matic? No.

Rooney and Sturridge ahead of Costa? No.

I would argue that Wilshere, AOC and Henderson could. Okay, maybe not Henderson but he would certainly be a decent option to have on the bench. He's like a more refined version of Ramires. As for the other 2, think we would all be in denial if we do not acknowledge that they have shown their qualities. If anything, they just need someone to sort out their mental attitude and consistency to be quality players, something which Wenger hasn't necessarily achieved.

Cheers for proving my point. You practically picked 1 English player and categorize the entire NT as 'stink'. :clap:

Funnily enough, the core of English players in our squad - which we were all proud about - over the last decade had 2 English players who we didn't develop and got them from other clubs.

I guess it depends on how you define 'top'. I'm not disagreeing with points about England lack top quality players but to categorize everyone as rubbish just because majority, not all, are mostly that is nonsensical.

What english players can get into the Chelsea XI as is right now?

Just because those clubs pay big money for those players, doesn't mean they are automatically average. Not their fault that those clubs pay so much for them.

I would argue that Wilshere, AOC and Henderson could. Okay, maybe not Henderson but he would certainly be a decent option to have on the bench. He's like a more refined version of Ramires. As for the other 2, think we would all be in denial if we do not acknowledge that they have shown their qualities. If anything, they just need someone to sort out their mental attitude and consistency to be quality players, something which Wenger hasn't necessarily achieved.

What do you really think any of those 3 would start week in week out for Chelsea Jason? Cmon man....

The point was there aren't very many English players who are at the same level as players like Courtois, Fabregas, Hazard and Costa who are gonna be the backbone of this team for the next 5-7 years.

We must hope that the likes of Baker, RLC, Chalobah, Solanke etc. make the step up over the years.

I would rather try to develop those under our books because the top English talent out there isn't that impressive, and it would be way too costly. Imagine bringing in a Barkley for example? He would cost north of £30m, and that isn't justified at all. Sterling would be the same.

See above.

Wilshere over Fabregas? doubt it. Not even over Oscar.

It doesn't even matter though the fact that you're struggling to find even three names of English players who can get into the side shows what type of talent Chelsea have assembled and the gulf in class compared to the English players.

See above.

Solid point with Wilshere tbh, might be unpopular but he could possibly start over Oscar here (as I can see him performing Oscar's duties perhaps?). He has good work rate and a good motor, clever player but has a bit more finesse than Oscar in his vision of the pitch. Oscar is probably the better goal threat though.

Wilshere would be a really interesting one IMO.