Lack of English players in the squad

bababoom

Do you really think either Sterling, Shaw or Stones will be made available at a decent price? Shaw went for 30m and 100k/wk... Sterling is in dispute with the Scouse right now over fee, he will almost assuredly go for no less than 40m if he's made available.

Sterling for 40 >>>>> Willian for 32

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England are excellent at age groups U16 ----up to U20 even decent at U 21 ,,,so why dont they progress ...

I am no expert BUT someone should be capable of solving this enigma

It has to do with paying the "English tax" where every English player is valued with a 15% -25% premium because they are English and ostensibly homegrown.

It also has to do with availability of leagues in Europe that can be used a proving grounds while still getting Europa or CL games where you can get that in the Championship.

I'm still left wondering what went wrong with Josh McEachran?

He gets a chance under Ancelotti, wins young player of the year...and then goes on the typical loan merry-go around until one of the Championship/League 1 clubs decide to pay a fee for him

Kids need to play competitive football. In Spain they have Castilla, Barceona B, Sevilla B, etc and they play against real teams against professional players in second division.

The place of players with more than 18 years old is playing against professionals not in the under 21 team. I think that's one of the main problems in England.

In Chelsea, Man City, Man City there are no place for many kids, especially if they aren't amazing. The other teams have a lot of money, many more than other really good teams from Holland, Portugal, Spain, Greece... there is no incentive to produce players in that teams.

Other problem is that the players are not that good.

About CHelsea I think we should know what we want. We cant have Christensen, ZOuma and Kala and give playing time to all of that players. Choose the better, in this case it seems that Mourinho likes Zouma. If Zouma confirms all his potential or if he fails in 1 seasons we can give another oportunity to Kalas or Christensen.

Now we have Ake and Loftus maybe both for the midfield. Ake had no luck until now... next season send him on loan and give the chance to Loftus.

Now we have Bamford, Solank and Izzy (I think all of them are ST)... again choose one, we shouldn't give 10 minutes to one, 20 to another, and 30 to the other one. Choose the better and go with him for at leasst 1 season.

Like we did with Ake and Zouma. It's better to have 2 players with a good amount of minutes, than 15 with 10 minutes each one.

The fact a player like Jordan Henderson starts for England really shows the disappointing lack of quality in English central midfielders. An Area where they were re-known for producing some of the best.

And some people think he'd be good enough to sit on the bench here when Ramires is a much better player. Its laughable really isn't it?

Again since I'm in this topic, would people have preferred we spent shitloads more money on someone like Sterling or Barkley than got Cuadrado just because they are English and we don't have a lot of English players in the squad?

The days of signing good English players for a relatively cheap price has been over for years and will continue to be until English clubs start producing very very talented players regularly and in batches like Spain, Italy, Germany, Brazil, Argentina and France have all been doing, then they will stay expensive. People want lots of money for players like Barkley and Sterling partly because English teams aren't producing young players at that level on a regular basis and want to have top young English players. When Guardiola said that in Spain they have hundreds of players like Wilshere he was right, they are producing lots of talented young players at a certain standard especially in midfield positions.

The Spain U21 side that won the European Championship included players like De Gea, Illarramendi, Bartra, Inigo Martinez, Koke, Rodrigo, Thiago, Tello, Moreno, Carvajal and Isco who have all gone on to get international caps, in fact some had them before the tournament too. All talented players, who came through at around the same time, all having improved and some having gone onto better things.

The development methods and coaching of players in England (and Britain as a whole) is wrong, as well as distinctly average football players there are too many distinctly average English coaches. The Premier League wouldn't be anything like it is billed to be without all the top foreign players and coaches that come to play and manage teams.

Lots of young english talent out there, but inflated prices and the unknown makes then a difficult bet.

Kane is looking like the real deal. Jones is young player; stone even younger. Only to name players who could contribute, because if we talk about squad then a number of English players could do better than what mikel does. Barry to name one.

Lots of young english talent out there, but inflated prices and the unknown makes then a difficult bet.

Kane is looking like the real deal. Jones is young player; stone even younger. Only to name players who could contribute, because if we talk about squad then a number of English players could do better than what mikel does. Barry to name one.

Look, I am far from Mikel's biggest fan. But if rather have him on the bench than a 33yr old Gareth Barry. Henderson is the only English CM that is better than Mikel.

Kane has only looked good for 6months, chill out before saying he's the real deal. Remember all the fuss about Wilshere, Townsend and even Sterling to a certain extent?

It's like Ryan and a few others have said. Whatever way you want to cut it, the quality if English players coming through ATM is horrifically low. And even the ones who could be good enough will be ridiculous transfer fees which in the days of FFP we can't afford.

If you made a realistic combined squad of Chelsea + Any English players then let's be honest it'd look like this:

Courtois, Azpilicueta, JT, Zouma, Luis, Matic, Fabregas, Hazard, Willian, Cuadrado, Costa.

Subs: Cech, Ivanovic, Cahill, Henderson, Sterling, Oscar, Sturridge.

And Henderson, Sterling and Sturridge would all fetch £40M+ price tags on a good day.

I was always a big fan of having English players in our team. But until English players become better (better coaches and PL B teams needed IMO) then I'd much rather have no Englishmen and actually win some trophies than have 4/5 in the starting 11 and become a team like Spurs.

Arsenal and Liverpool have a core of English players now, i would love Chelsea to have to same, hopefully in a few more years that'll change.

Walcott, Chambermaid, Chambers, Welbeck... Walcott's good, Ox is becoming good, Gibbs is always injured. Question on England is: where's the next S. Gerrard or excellent CM? at Tottenham? there are a few guys out there I like, but IDK if they're coming to Chelsea anytime soon.

I genuinely like RLC though; have high hopes for him.

Daily Mail actually published a surprisingly good piece on how our academy is one of the best in the country and how a large amount of the youngsters are from the local area. Hopefully more of them can get more involved in the first team in the future, I rather we focus on our own young talent than spend crazy amounts for players only because they are english or homegrown, especially in these ffp days.

A good read : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2937796/It-s-not-quite-Jody-Morris-cleaning-Dennis-Wise-s-boots-Chelsea-filling-youth-teams-local-heroes.html

We are blessed with English talents from our own academy. Loftus Cheek, Baker, Palmer,Solanke and Jay da silva are top top prospects who, if handled correctly, can adequately replace the English nucleus of our team in the future. But I trust us to fuck it up and not produce any regular first team members out of this crop of talented youngsters.