Lack of English players in the squad

bababoom

We still have Cahill who will probably be our next captain, after that who knows.

No offence mate but think you're being rather ignorant on the lack of English players issue in our squad. It's utterly depressing that we only have 2 English players in the squad right now and only 1 is an England international. We are an English club and we should be having more than that. It's what helps fans to associate the club and if we don't have that, we'll lose that bit of identity.

The situation is all the more depressing when you see Arsenal have 6 English players in their squad with all potential first choice in their starting XI. Their first XI was used to fill with foreigners while ours almost have a blend of the two but now, it's like we have switched places. Their squad now is more balanced while ours is top-heavy with foreigners.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offence mate but think you're being rather ignorant on the lack of English players issue in our squad. It's utterly depressing that we only have 2 English players in the squad right now and only 1 is an England international. We are an English club and we should be having more than that. It's what helps fans to associate the club and if we don't have that, we'll lose that bit of identity.

The situation is all the more depressing when you see Arsenal have 6 English players in their squad with all potential first choice in their starting XI. Their first XI was used to fill with foreigners while ours almost have a blend of the two but now, it's like we have switched places. Their squad now is more balanced while ours is top-heavy with foreigners.

I love the English guys/core we HAD, but I just want the club to win, be it with foreigners or the fucking English NT. I'm not English so I don't need an English core. If the club wins with a Belgian/Spanish core, I'm happy. Foreigners can love the club too, (Drogba, Cech, Mikel, Mourinho).

I love the English guys/core we HAD, but I just want the club to win, be it with foreigners or the fucking English NT. I'm not English so I don't need an English core. If the club wins with a Belgian/Spanish core, I'm happy. Foreigners can love the club too, (Drogba, Cech, Mikel, Mourinho).

This is an English club, so it's important for the identity/the culture, football clubs the world over have their own distinct characters; you lose that when you lose domestic players. It becomes soulless, faceless and more of a corporation than a club when the fans don't have someone to identify with.

This is Chelsea not 'World XI'.

This is an English club, so it's important for the identity/the culture, football clubs the world over have their own distinct characters; you lose that when you lose domestic players. It becomes soulless, faceless and more of a corporation than a club when the fans don't have someone to identify with.

This is Chelsea not 'World XI'.

I get that it's an English club, but I'M NOT, and most of the fans aren't. Only a small percentage of the Chelsea fan base is English. Can't Belgian Chelsea fans identify with Tibo and Hazard? And German fans with Schurrle? And Brazilian fans with Ramires, Oscar, Willian and Costa?

I get that you're English and want an English core, but the club will ALWAYS have an identity, with or without English starters. I would rather have a good foreign player than a mediocre English one. But that's just me.

That being said, I would LOVE for some of the young guys like Baker, RLC, etc to make it to our squad.

At the risk of being unpopular, while I see your point about 'this being an English club...' What I don't agree with is 1) paying ridiculously high transfer fees for 'English talent' 2) downgrading the quality of the squad in order to make our XI more England friendly 3) looking at the models laid out by Liverpool and now Arsenal as the blueprint for success.

We are in it to win it all, you can't have both since English talent is piss poor right now. While there is a need to stay true to the local supporters, football is a GLOBAL game now and though the games are played at SW6, its watched by millions of people all over the globe who have taken this club as their own. Chelsea FC is not limited to its English borders anymore, and to be the global entity we are and a top 5 team in the world the faces around the club can't be limited to English... Unless they are the best in their position. That to me is the only policy, if you're good enough you will play. If you're good enough and English preference will be given to you first, nothing more.

Luke Shaw was bought for £30M and likely won't even start at Utd... This is the price you guys expect Chelsea to pay in order to keep up with the EVER-CHANGING culture around Premier League clubs? Hell no. Sorry there is a limit to this madness and I for one am glad we aren't paying the English tax anymore.

The way to integrate British born home grown talent is to develop it, not buy it at ridiculous fees... We have a nice young core coming through now but they still have to work extremely hard to get into one of the top sides in the world, that's just football now.

The top clubs should be a showcase for the country they reside in, like Real & Barca for Spain and like we had with Cole, Terry and Lampard.

If you identify with the club, then you should be able to identify with the national mentality and adopt it.

Real and Barca or Spanish talent is still amongst the best in the World. You want Chelsea to by Jack Colback, Fabian Delph and Adam Lallana instead of Cesc Fabregas, Nemanja Matic and Eden Hazard?

We need to develop the next english star, not buy him.

Real and Barca or Spanish talent is still amongst the best in the World. You want Chelsea to by Jack Colback, Fabian Delph and Adam Lallana instead of Cesc Fabregas, Nemanja Matic and Eden Hazard?

We need to develop the next english star, not buy him.

I wanted us to buy Shaw, who had 'proved' himself capable of playing for a top club.

And the reason it's worth paying the tax is because academy players like Loftus Cheek & Chalobah have foreign talent like Van Ginkel blocking the path, the latter cost money.. so it's more beneficial for ROI to water the flowers you've paid for.

I wanted us to buy Shaw, who had 'proved' himself capable of playing for a top club.

And the reason it's worth paying the tax is because academy players like Loftus Cheek & Chalobah have foreign talent like Van Ginkel blocking the path, the latter cost money so it's more beneficial for ROI to water the flowers you've paid for.

You clearly don't know Jose Mourinho, its about who is the best for the situation at hand. Positions aren't one based on transfer fees or place of birth(though I do think British talent would take precedence if all things are equal). If Loftus Cheek and Chalobah are good enough they will play ahead of Van Ginkel, its as simple as that.

As for buying Shaw at £30m your fucking head is GONE. In no way did he prove he was a £30m player, not even close. Right now he's just potential English talent that has yet to be realized.

The top clubs should be a showcase for the country they reside in, like Real & Barca for Spain and like we had with Cole, Terry and Lampard.

If you identify with the club, then you should be able to identify with the national mentality and adopt it.

Real exploded with the galáctico era in this modern world.

Nobody in the world really cared if they was Spanish or not. Just that it was a team assembled of top stars riping teams apart.

And those crying because lack of English, well you guys are ridiculous. There's not many good ones available at this moment.

Arsenal and Liverpool might have more English players but they are mediocre.

Save sterling who might be great if he continues the way he's going.

Other then that not much you can do because English players suck at the moment.

And a lot has to do with the pl giving large amount of money from TV revenue.

With the money that is being generated for even lower level teams does it benefits them to develop younger players or buy them to compete in the pl and stay in it?

So it has to fall on the big teams to develop them ala Barcelona. And that's what Mourinho has been talking about.

It won't happen this season, maybe next season but more then likely in 3 years we might see progress in this.

Real exploded with the galáctico era in this modern world.

Nobody in the world really cared if they was Spanish or not. Just that it was a team assembled of top stars riping teams apart.

And those crying because lack of English, well you guys are ridiculous. There's not many good ones available at this moment.

Arsenal and Liverpool might have more English players but they are mediocre.

Save sterling who might be great if he continues the way he's going.

Other then that not much you can do because English players suck at the moment.

And a lot has to do with the pl giving large amount of money from TV revenue.

With the money that is being generated for even lower level teams does it benefits them to develop younger players or buy them to compete in the pl and stay in it?

While I do agree there aren't many top quality English players out there right now, sometimes I do wonder if people's judgment of English talent has been clouded by the general mediocrity of the England NT and influenced by the media. More often than not, I see people are being so immediately dismissive of English players without seemingly have an objective judgment.

While I do agree there aren't many top quality English players out there right now, sometimes I do wonder if people's judgment of English talent has been clouded by the general mediocrity of the England NT and influenced by the media. More often than not, I see people are being so immediately dismissive of English players without seemingly have an objective judgment.

So is lallana better then Fabregas or Alexis Sanchez?

Seriously get a grip.

They stink!

The club has to develop its own if it wants the identity of English players in its team.

Is there top English players not getting called to the NT ?

So is lallana better then Fabregas or Alexis Sanchez?

Seriously get a grip.

They stink!

Cheers for proving my point. You practically picked 1 English player and categorize the entire NT as 'stink'. :clap:

The club has to develop its own if it wants the identity of English players in its team.

Funnily enough, the core of English players in our squad - which we were all proud about - over the last decade had 2 English players who we didn't develop and got them from other clubs.

Is there top English players not getting called to the NT ?

I guess it depends on how you define 'top'. I'm not disagreeing with points about England lack top quality players but to categorize everyone as rubbish just because majority, not all, are mostly that is nonsensical.

Cheers for proving my point. You practically picked 1 English player and categorize the entire NT as 'stink'. :clap:

Funnily enough, the core of English players in our squad - which we were all proud about - over the last decade had 2 English players who we didn't develop and got them from other clubs.

I guess it depends on how you define 'top'. I'm not disagreeing with points about England lack top quality players but to categorize everyone as rubbish just because majority, not all, are mostly that is nonsensical.

You want me to go over the list and see how shit they are?

Only 2 or 3 would be starters at Chelsea.

You want me to go over the list and see how shit they are?

Only 2 or 3 would be starters at Chelsea.

You might want to read the points I made in the previous post again...

I see people are being so immediately dismissive of English players without seemingly have an objective judgment.

I'm not disagreeing with points about England lack top quality players but to categorize everyone as rubbish just because majority, not all, are mostly that is nonsensical.

You might want to read the points I made in the previous post again...

It's simple, Lampard was a top player that even foreign clubs like Barcelona wanted him.

Cole the same, real coveted him so much.

Now in England which foreign team will covet a English player?

The only one I can see are sterling and maybe sturridge.

Now these are players that have many years left in them and could be in a top team for a while.

The Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard are on decline. So won't put them in that same bracket as these two.

Oh and we had one, in sturridge but gave him away because of Torres.....