Independent Scotland

Fulham Broadway

If there is a Yes vote, I think the tories in the UK could also become less popular in England. The reason being that working class people in Scotland will benefit from no prescriptions, no university education fees, and less personal taxation. I can imagine a lot of English people looking over the border, and thinking, 'yeah, we wouldnt mind a bit of independence from this Oxbridge Westminster elite that just help the rich'

And how exactly do you pay for all this? Higher income tax and higher corporation tax? Sounds like you'll be attracting a lot of wealth with those policies.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scotland has no money to substain itself, Salmond says 'oh the oil will last forever basically' when they have said 40 years tops.

I am sorry it wasnt personal to you Skipper its just a very scary serious situation we are in and I do get slightly annoyed when people outwith Scotland say certain things when they don't know the facts and true situation. A yes vote would be terrible for Scotland.

Its really up to the Scots what they do

Hands washed again. :dunno:

It's actually up to a couple of generations of Scots to decide what they do with hundreds of years of a union and what happens when the oil runs out for future generations.

Good Salmond impression though. Can you do the accent as well?

Hands washed again. :dunno:

It's actually up to a couple of generations of Scots to decide what they do with hundreds of years of a union and what happens when the oil runs out for future generations.

Good Salmond impression though. Can you do the accent as well?

Yes it is up to the Scots. Clue is in the name, The Scottish Referendum and Westminster agreed to it. If youd bothered to read the posts before youd have read I dont have a view on it -only if you do the krankies impression

Yes it is up to the Scots. Clue is in the name, The Scottish Referendum and Westminster agreed to it. If youd bothered to read the posts before youd have read I dont have a view on it -only if you do the krankies impression

So once again it's an entirely superficial analysis that you can't actually expand upon.

Sorry, but you should really provide some sort of disclaimer if you don't want people to actually questions your posts and ask for things like 'proof' or 'even a basic explanation of how certain things would actually work in the real world'.

So once again it's an entirely superficial analysis that you can't actually expand upon.

Sorry, but you should really provide some sort of disclaimer if you don't want people to actually questions your posts and ask for things like 'proof' or 'even a basic explanation of how certain things would actually work in the real world'.

Yes I dont understand the whole facts, which is why it would be good for some Scottish members to put their case.

As you are obviously so clever. perhaps youd like to enlighten us with your pearls of wisdom on all things regarding Scottish Independence ?

*waits with bated breath*

Yes I dont understand the whole facts, which is why it would be good for some Scottish members to put their case.

As you are obviously so clever. perhaps youd like to enlighten us with your pearls of wisdom on all things regarding Scottish Independence ?

*waits with bated breath*

Actually it's not a case of me being clever, but simply haven't the intellectual curiosity that even a 5 year old possesses when they see a toy they want on television and that is thusly....

How do I afford that?

Nothing wrong with asking questions, except when you're asking them of people who have no answers to regurgita....provide.

Actually it's not a case of me being clever, but simply haven't the intellectual curiosity that even a 5 year old possesses when they see a toy they want on television and that is thusly....

How do I afford that?

Nothing wrong with asking questions, except when you're asking them of people who have no answers to regurgita....provide.

So you have no view, opinion, or analysis..great.

The oil issue is NOT guaranteed either - at present the oil fields ARE cited in UK waters - that means an equal entitlement.

If Scotland are to leave they will need to:

1) Take a portion of the national debt

2) Agree suitable compensation for the oil rights

If Scotland also take the pound without a central bank and default on (1) - then they will never be allowed into Europe and as a defaulter on debt will find it hard to borrow money from anybody, except maybe Wonga!

So this Oil revenue debate is useless because Scotland will Not have more money than they have now - they will have to service their inherited national debt first, then keep up spending on infrastructure etc

Also careful what you wish for - more Politicians does not equal a fairer deal - in fact it's likely to cripple and divide a nation as each petty politician will be self serving.

If I was Scottish, I would vote No.

The renewable energy as an ecosystem - simply doesn't work - the magnitude of investment versus the small return is a fools promise

Further scientific advances need to be made in this area before wind is even considered a potential source.

Sad times indeed

As a complete novice on the topic (hands down), I find this whole national independence question very interesting.

Let's say Scotland would do fine economically without the union. Would you then support Scottish independence?

Of course there are downsides to going independent. Many countries have done it successfully though. And is it really only a question about money? Nationalism is on the rise most places, so naturally the Scots may want to be 'free'. Agreed, it may not be the best timing ever, but it is, afterall, their country.... Hmpf...

If I was Scottish I would vote no, and as an Englishman I'd still like to see the union maintained but I can't say I'll be particularly upset if the Scots decide they want complete independence; I really don't think it will affect my life at all.

As Muzchap points out, it is a lot more complicated of a question when you have to think about debt, currency, central banks and the allocation of the natural resources (oil). I fear that some people may be voting based on the emotion of being 'free' and listening to the tripe that the politicians come out with than rationality.

I would certainly be interested to see how Scotland would fare independently, though.

I don't, and I admitted that in my first post. Looking at it from an outside perspective though (and a limited view), Scotland has the potential to go independent successfully. Sure, it won't be easy, and sure there will be plenty of problems, but it is a possibility. It wouldn't be an instant success, could take decades even, but it could potentially be a good thing for Scotland IMO. As I said, if I was Scottish, with the knowledge I have right now I would be leaning towards yes, but that doesn't mean I actually would 100% vote yes. Leaning towards something doesn't mean you've made your decision if you understand me.

Edit:

Also, quite a huge proportion of Scottish people are drawn towards yes, current polls (excluding don't knows which is a mere 8%) show a 53% no - 47% yes split, that's significant. It's unfair to say that anyone saying 'yes' doesn't know any facts on the situation. 47% is a huge percentage of the Scottish population.

The polls are a joke. They go to predominantly YES communities and they show everyone going to vote yes, and the same the opposite way with being voting NO

No one has been our area asking anyone or people I know so Skipper to speak for the 'population' of Scotland through some random propaganda you've read is almost as embarrassing as the independence campaigners themselves.

What upsets me as a Scottish person born and bred. The flag of Scotland is the solitaire but the flag of the the UK is the Union Jack, I proudly have flown both. What upsets me is that the solitaire flag is being swallowed up by the YES people. It is getting to the point here near Glasgow that it is being emblazoned with YES stickers all over it. It's like you can't be Scottish and still support the Union.

As most of you know I am also a Rangers fan and a wonderful banner was displayed at our recent game which to me was brilliant it had the solitaire and the Union Jack as one.

image.jpg

The polls are a joke. They go to predominantly YES communities and they show everyone going to vote yes, and the same the opposite way with being voting NO

No one has been our area asking anyone or people I know so Skipper to speak for the 'population' of Scotland through some random propaganda you've read is almost as embarrassing as the independence campaigners themselves.

What upsets me as a Scottish person born and bred. The flag of Scotland is the solitaire but the flag of the the UK is the Union Jack, I proudly have flown both. What upsets me is that the solitaire flag is being swallowed up by the YES people. It is getting to the point here near Glasgow that it is being emblazoned with YES stickers all over it. It's like you can't be Scottish and still support the Union.

As most of you know I am also a Rangers fan and a wonderful banner was displayed at our recent game which to me was brilliant it had the solitaire and the Union Jack as one.

image.jpg

The whole Rangers thing is just a joke, there are multiple Rangers fans I know that are voting no solely because they are Rangers fans and they sing 'God save the queen' and all that bullshit.... football should have nothing to do with voting yes or no for independence.