Petr Cech "going nowhere", according to Sky Sports

BlueLion.

Sky Sports reporter Ian Bolton has suggested Petr Cech is staying at Stamford Bridge, according to club sources.

The Czech goalkeeper, who has been usurped as the Blues' number one by Thibaut Courtois, had been linked with French champions Paris St-Germain, with a loan move touted.

But Bolton, reporting outside the Chelsea training ground this morning, has confirmed that, after holding talks with club insiders at PSG, the club have withdrawn their interest in bringing Cech to the French capital.

Chelsea have also commented, saying that Cech is "going nowhere", according to Bolton's segment on Sky Sports News HQ's transfer deadline day special earlier this morning.

The Czech goalkeeper, 32, says he sees no reason to "panic, pack up and leave" after speaking out in Prague ahead of his national side's friendly with the United States on Wednesday.

"I've been at the club for 10 years, the situation is now new to me. The three opening matches I could not play for the team. I have no reason to panic, pack up and leave."

"I am a Chelsea player, where I have two more years of contract. In football, nothing can be predicted in advance, nothing is ever perfect.

"A lot of players go on representative duty, yet still many transfer clubs. The offer would have to be right for everyone. I do not exclude anything (or) know the answer."

Cech will compete with Courtois for first-team action, with it highly possible José Mourinho will rotate his goalkeepers in the same fashion he did with Diego Lopez and Iker Casillas at Real Madrid.

Click here to view the article

Cech will compete with Courtois for first-team action, with it highly possible José Mourinho will rotate his goalkeepers in the same fashion he did with Diego Lopez and Iker Casillas at Real Madrid.

Really? Cech will not compete, nor will he be rotated for one simple reason.

Courtois is better.

Cech will sit on the bench unless Courtois needs a rest, gets injured or the game is pointless....and that will cost us £5 million. Essentially we'll have a player who is one of the top five earners in our squad amongst the bottom five appearance makers which is financially silly and ain't gonna last long here.

Really? Cech will not compete, nor will he be rotated for one simple reason.

Courtois is better.

Cech will sit on the bench unless Courtois needs a rest, gets injured or the game is pointless....and that will cost us £5 million. Essentially we'll have a player who is one of the top five earners in our squad amongst the bottom five appearance makers which is financially silly and ain't gonna last long here.

Until we see how the season pans out, no-one knows except Mourinho.

i'm not sure how to feel about this, seeing Cech one of my favorites players on the bench?... i know Courtois is the future, but can't we loan Cech with a recall option incase of injuries so he could play?

Not sure that would be financially viable, as cancelling loans normally incurs quite a hefty severance fee.

"José Mourinho will rotate his goalkeepers in the same fashion he did with Diego Lopez and Iker Casillas at Real Madrid."

What ? He didn't rotate them at all, Diego Lopez played all the games.

In Mourinho's last season, Casillas played 2640 mins; Lopez played 2396; Adan played 649; and even Fernandez played 93 minutes. He rotated regularly.

Not sure that would be financially viable, as cancelling loans normally incurs quite a hefty severance fee.

In Mourinho's last season, Casillas played 2640 mins; Lopez played 2396; Adan played 649; and even Fernandez played 93 minutes. He rotated regularly.

Diego Lopez came in January, he played all the games as soon as he was transfered, CL + Liga + Copa Del Rey. He didn't rotate them.

I don't like this. I think Cech isn't going to see a lot of game time. A player of his caliber should be playing regularly. Cech staying isn't good for us financially and sitting on the bench isn't good for him, he could easily get into other top teams and keep showcasing his class and ability. Rotating goalkeepers is kinda meh. If he gets relevant play time it's probably going to be on pointless matches. I don't see how this is profitable for him or for us, not the ideal situation.

I don't like this. I think Cech isn't going to see a lot of game time. A player of his caliber should be playing regularly. Cech staying isn't good for us financially and sitting on the bench isn't good for him, he could easily get into other top teams and keep showcasing his class and ability. Rotating goalkeepers is kinda meh. If he gets relevant play time it's probably going to be on pointless matches. I don't see how this is profitable for him or for us.

Leaving now is very unlike Petr. That's just not how he thinks or how his attitude is. Leaving now, to him, is like quitting, like cowering out of a 'duel', something he's never done. He wants to stay and have a chance to win his spot back because that's the type of professional he is.

For us, having Petr here in Thibaut's first season to help and mentor him could be a very good thing. Plus, it's a great chance for Thibaut to prove himself and gain a lot of confidence by retaining his spot with someone like Petr Cech breathing down his neck.

Competition for places inside a football club is always healthy. And it is clear that this is what Jose and the club want.

Leaving now is very unlike Petr. That's just not how he thinks or how his attitude is. Leaving now, to him, is like quitting, like cowering out of a 'duel', something he's never done. He wants to stay and have a chance to win his spot back because that's the type of professional he is.

For us, having Petr here in Thibaut's first season to help and mentor him could be a very good thing. Plus, it's a great chance for Thibaut to prove himself and gain a lot of confidence by retaining his spot with someone like Petr Cech breathing down his neck.

Competition for places inside a football club is always healthy. And it is clear that this is what Jose and the club want.

The only problem I have with that is goalkeepers are sort of a different species from outfield players. Competition isn't always a good thing in this case and it is usually a waste of a sub to change GKs in ongoing matches. What this mean is that they'll play alternated matches if they rotate, but that isn't good for building understanding with the back four or for building confidence, which is important for the job.

Of course it has its pros, having Cech will safeguard us with an world class backup in case Courtois gets injured and/or if he doesn't renew his contract. But I still think the best case scenario would be finding a top team where Cech could challenge for titles and be motivated to give his best whilst also lessening our wage burden so we can improve other areas. Having two world class goalkeepers isn't as beneficial as having two world class players for the same outfield positions. I just can't help but feel rotating isn't the best choice and having Cech on the bench is not only demeaning to him but also a waste of his talents.

Players can learn from other, more experienced players in real life too you know? Have you never played a team sport with an older person in your squad before?

Players can learn from other, more experienced players in real life too you know? Have you never played a team sport with an older person in your squad before?

I have, but at the time I wasn't la liga champion whose last club game was the Champions League Final and who spent his summer in Brazil playing in the World Cup (and has more World Cup experience than the incumbent).

What exactly can Cech teach Courtois, specifically (note the use of the words 'exactly' and 'specifically')? Where the bogs are at White Hart Lane?

I have, but at the time I wasn't la liga champion whose last club game was the Champions League Final and who spent his summer in Brazil playing in the World Cup (and has more World Cup experience than the incumbent).

What exactly can Cech teach Courtois, specifically (note the use of the words 'exactly' and 'specifically')? Where the bogs are at White Hart Lane?

You can always carry on learning. As soon as a player thinks they know everything there is to know (Lukaku) then their attitude is wrong. You should never stop wanting to learn and improve, even if it's little things. Courtois is one the best keepers in the world, but so is Petr.

I don't know exactly what Petr could teach him as i'm not a professional GK or GK coach, but you can't believe that Tibo is perfect in every way? Maybe he could work on his distribution and Petr has a technique of throwing that he could teach Tibo for a longer throw or a more accurate one. Maybe he could help him with his parrying of the ball and certain ways you could angle your hands to make sure you deflect the ball behind/away from the goal rather than back into the box. Tibo's distribution and parrying could use a bit of work, and Cech might have picked up tricks of the trade during his years playing as a GK that he could teach Tibo.

By your logic we shouldn't have coaches; if coaches can teach players new techniques/ideas/moves then why couldn't other players? Who might have learned them from previous coaches or managers.

EDIT: As for the major tournament experience; Tibo has 5 games, Cech has 15. You can't count WC games and not Euro games.

The only problem I have with that is goalkeepers are sort of a different species from outfield players. Competition isn't always a good thing in this case and it is usually a waste of a sub to change GKs in ongoing matches. What this mean is that they'll play alternated matches if they rotate, but that isn't good for building understanding with the back four or for building confidence, which is important for the job.

Of course it has its pros, having Cech will safeguard us with an world class backup in case Courtois gets injured and/or if he doesn't renew his contract. But I still think the best case scenario would be finding a top team where Cech could challenge for titles and be motivated to give his best whilst also lessening our wage burden so we can improve other areas. Having two world class goalkeepers isn't as beneficial as having two world class players for the same outfield positions. I just can't help but feel rotating isn't the best choice and having Cech on the bench is not only demeaning to him but also a waste of his talents.

Of course it's not the same for keepers as it is for outfield players, but who says that competition is only on the pitch? Compitition between players is first and foremost on the training ground. This kind of competition can push Thibaut to develop better. Just the mere fact of having someone like Petr behind you will push Thibaut to having to perform at 100% every single game.

You can always carry on learning. As soon as a player thinks they know everything there is to know (Lukaku) then their attitude is wrong. You should never stop wanting to learn and improve, even if it's little things. Courtois is one the best keepers in the world, but so is Petr.

I don't know exactly what Petr could teach him as i'm not a professional GK or GK coach, but you can't believe that Tibo is perfect in every way? Maybe he could work on his distribution and Petr has a technique of throwing that he could teach Tibo for a longer throw or a more accurate one. Maybe he could help him with his parrying of the ball and certain ways you could angle your hands to make sure you deflect the ball behind/away from the goal rather than back into the box. Tibo's distribution and parrying could use a bit of work, and Cech might have picked up tricks of the trade during his years playing as a GK that he could teach Tibo.

By your logic we shouldn't have coaches; if coaches can teach players new techniques/ideas/moves then why couldn't other players? Who might have learned them from previous coaches or managers.

No, I believe we should have coaches and I think that we have very good coaches who can help Courtois.

I simply think that the £5 million or so we spend on Cech each season is a waste when he won't actually play unless Courtois gets injured. His parrying is actually great, but there's this myth that he puts it back into the danger zone more than other keepers.

The simple fact of the matter is that Courtois is already better than Cech and he's replaced him. Have you never take someone's role in a team or job and had them still hanging around trying to give you advice?

No, I believe we should have coaches and I think that we have very good coaches who can help Courtois.

I simply think that the £5 million or so we spend on Cech each season is a waste when he won't actually play unless Courtois gets injured. His parrying is actually great, but there's this myth that he puts it back into the danger zone more than other keepers.

The simple fact of the matter is that Courtois is already better than Cech and he's replaced him. Have you never take someone's role in a team or job and had them still hanging around trying to give you advice?

And Cech is old enough and experienced enough to be like another coach to Courtois. The £5M or so spent per season (plus the loss on transfer fee) is a different debate tbh. I agree i'm not sure it's worth it but the reason for him staying for our perspective might be for 2 reasons: 1) Don't let Courtois get lazy and think he has the no.1 spot guaranteed even if he plays badly and 2) Courtois is still young and could (unlikely I know but still possible) just drop out of form massively at some point during the season. With Cech there we could rotate him and and take some of the pressure off of the young man to hlep him get his confidence back. We simply couldn't afford to do that if we had Mark Schwarzer as a back up.

Well if someone has done that role in a team or job for a long time and I am new to the role yes I would be asking that person for advice on the role and for little tips and tricks to make my life easier/to help me do the job better. They had done the job for a long time before so would know better than me, no matter how good I was at the job.

I guess I'd be ok with Cech leaving as long as we signed a decent, experienced back up keeper to replace him (Ruddy or someone like that?) as I don't think the tutoring is a large factor. To pretend it doesn't exist though and is FM faux-logic is just silly.