Petr Cech "going nowhere", according to Sky Sports

BlueLion.

And Cech is old enough and experienced enough to be like another coach to Courtois. The £5M or so spent per season (plus the loss on transfer fee) is a different debate tbh. I agree i'm not sure it's worth it but the reason for him staying for our perspective might be for 2 reasons: 1) Don't let Courtois get lazy and think he has the no.1 spot guaranteed even if he plays badly and 2) Courtois is still young and could (unlikely I know but still possible) just drop out of form massively at some point during the season. With Cech there we could rotate him and and take some of the pressure off of the young man to hlep him get his confidence back. We simply couldn't afford to do that if we had Mark Schwarzer as a back up.

We dropped Cech and played Schwarzer last year. No reason we couldn't do the same this year.

Well if someone has done that role in a team or job for a long time and I am new to the role yes I would be asking that person for advice on the role and for little tips and tricks to make my life easier/to help me do the job better. They had done the job for a long time before so would know better than me, no matter how good I was at the job.

I guess I'd be ok with Cech leaving as long as we signed a decent, experienced back up keeper to replace him (Ruddy or someone like that?) as I don't think the tutoring is a large factor. To pretend it doesn't exist though and is FM faux-logic is just silly.

The difference here is that Courtois is demonstrably superior to Cech in almost every aspect of his play.

We'll be paying Cech more this season than Arsenal pay Ramsay. He'll earn three times what Raheem Sterling does. He'll earn more than Cahill, Ivanovic, Azpi, Matic, Oscar, Schurrle and Courtois. That to me is a waste.

We dropped Cech and played Schwarzer last year. No reason we couldn't do the same this year.

The difference here is that Courtois is demonstrably superior to Cech in almost every aspect of his play.

We'll be paying Cech more this season than Arsenal pay Ramsay. He'll earn three times what Raheem Sterling does. He'll earn more than Cahill, Ivanovic, Azpi, Matic, Oscar, Schurrle and Courtois. That to me is a waste.

No offense to Mark but if we want to go for the title he's not good enough to rotate in.

Whether it's a waste or not is up for debate, but if Courtois breaks his arm this weekend and we've kept hold of him it'd definitely be worth keeping hold of him. I think h's just being kept as compensation in case Courtois gets injured or suddenly gets shit (unlikely I know). I think with all the good business we've done this transfer window we can manage to cover that. Ideally we want 2 great players in every position. Cech is on like 100k a week as back up? Remy is on 80k a week as backup. Luis is on like 60k a week as back up. Mikel 75k, Schurrle 75k, Willian 80k, Drogba 65k. To have top quality back up players you need to pay good wages.

Of course it's not the same for keepers as it is for outfield players, but who says that competition is only on the pitch? Compitition between players is first and foremost on the training ground. This kind of competition can push Thibaut to develop better. Just the mere fact of having someone like Petr behind you will push Thibaut to having to perform at 100% every single game.

Fair enough. I still think Cech deserves better than serving as a propeller to Thibaut. I'd still feel better giving him the chance to compete for silverware in top leagues as one of the main characters, I think we owe him at least that much. Perhaps he could give the belgian that little edge to improve but I still think the latter would do more than fine without Petr breathing on his neck.

If we can't find a good side for Cech I'd prefer if he stayed, yes. If we could manage to afford that little piece of shit playing as our #9 for this many years and being a complete deadweight, we can certainly pay Cech's wages, especially considering he could actually prove to be useful if anything were to happen to Courtois and he has always served this club well.

No offense to Mark but if we want to go for the title he's not good enough to rotate in.

We're not going to rotate keepers. Simple as that.

Whether it's a waste or not is up for debate, but if Courtois breaks his arm this weekend and we've kept hold of him it'd definitely be worth keeping hold of him. I think h's just being kept as compensation in case Courtois gets injured or suddenly gets shit (unlikely I know). I think with all the good business we've done this transfer window we can manage to cover that. Ideally we want 2 great players in every position. Cech is on like 100k a week as back up? Remy is on 80k a week as backup. Luis is on like 60k a week as back up. Mikel 75k, Schurrle 75k, Willian 80k, Drogba 65k. To have top quality back up players you need to pay good wages.

Remy as backup will play for us.

Luis has already played more league minutes than Cech probably will.

Same goes for Mikel, Schurrle, Willian and Drogba. To win the league, you don't need a world-class back-up keeper. United won the treble with van der Gouw, we won a league title and Champions League with Ross Turnball.

I like Cech but we've replaced him with a better keeper and I think a transfer fee and £5 million off the books is more useful to us in real terms than a world class sub keeper....although now that the window is closing he may as well stick around until January.

We're not going to rotate keepers. Simple as that.

Remy as backup will play for us.

Luis has already played more league minutes than Cech probably will.

Same goes for Mikel, Schurrle, Willian and Drogba. To win the league, you don't need a world-class back-up keeper. United won the treble with van der Gouw, we won a league title and Champions League with Ross Turnball.

I like Cech but we've replaced him with a better keeper and I think a transfer fee and £5 million off the books is more useful to us in real terms than a world class sub keeper....although now that the window is closing he may as well stick around until January.

Yeah maybe not. But my previous points still stand. I'm not saying he'll play as many minutes but i'm just making it clear that Cech isn't being paid ike 3x that of every other player in our team or even on our bench. You don't need a world class back up keeper no, but it's always nice to have one :D. Well we'd have to use part of that transfer fee to sign another back up keeper and some of that £5M will go into the new keepers wages. So we'll get some money but not as much as you quoted. Anyway, you might be right, it's up to the club and Petr tbh.

Well if he doesn't play you can't say its not his fault. He knew that Courtois was coming back and he knows how good Courtois is. Very stupid decision like Cudicini's one to stay when Cech came in, eventually won his place in the team and became the established number 1. You only get better playing football, Cech at 32 or whatever is still in his prime for a goalkeeper, ridiculous move to sit on the bench than go and play football somewhere.

Fair enough. I still think Cech deserves better than serving as a propeller to Thibaut. I'd still feel better giving him the chance to compete for silverware in top leagues as one of the main characters, I think we owe him at least that much. Perhaps he could give the belgian that little edge to improve but I still think the latter would do more than fine without Petr breathing on his neck.

If we can't find a good side for Cech I'd prefer if he stayed, yes. If we could manage to afford that little piece of shit playing as our #9 for this many years and being a complete deadweight, we can certainly pay Cech's wages, especially considering he could actually prove to be useful if anything were to happen to Courtois and he has always served this club well.

Oh, I think he's definitely moving on, just not right now. You can't turn the clocks around. He's getting older and Thibaut is getting into his prime. I just think it is important that he stays until January at the very least. Plus, there is no need to rush him out now to somewhere 'wrong' like QPR :mouthcllosed: Let him have his time picking his next team,which hopefully will not be in the EPL.