Loïc Rémy

SeB

Well he is an outlet for the midfielders. Not an outlet that directly leads to a goal, but just enough to hold the ball and give it back to them when they are no longer under pressure.

I feel he would be more useful when we play on the counter and he has space to run into, but against the deep sitting teams like Bolton and Palace we would have to expect the goals to come from midfield.

I thought he was quite good. He earned the crucial 2nd yellow for Delaney, made a few good passes, participated in the buildup for the 2nd goal. His general play was pretty good. Obviously since it was practically his first time playing with our starting midfielders, his chemistry with them wasn't as good as it could have been, but it will come. Tbh, I don't think Costa could have done much better in that game. That kind of game is difficult for strikers that like playing on the counter.

Only thing that was lacking Saturday was that he wasn't jelling with the other players. So passes were going astray and he wasn't on other player's wavelengths. That will come with game time though, so it's not a problem at all IMO.

He was a bit rusty, his 1-2s never really worked out but i could see some very good signs. Technically he's very good, he can hold up the ball very well but also dribble past his man with ease. His pace is also devastating, i have a good feeling about him.

If Costa is injured for the united game obviously it'll be a massive blow, but i trust Remy and If we get it right we could be devastating on the counter.

Spot on sum up on Remy vs Palace.

There is no doubt Remy is more technical than Ba, but less imposing (physically). He's prob better than Torres too, esp because he's definitely pacier than both.

My point, and reckon others, have been that a wide gulf separates Costa from Remy in terms of quality. Whenever Costa is out, we will be very close to last year in terms of quality up front. He will be OK in games like CP - even away - because of the overall quality of the squad (and Fabregas), but as soon as we begin facing stronger opposition in the CL, Remy won't cut it.

We were very close from chasing the game on Saturday; a better striker than Campbell (perhaps Remy) would've put that ball in the back of the net (when he beat Cahill).

'Prob better than Torres...'

There's no probably about it; Remy is comfortably better than Torres at virtually every aspect of the game and Saturday was definitive proof of that.

Remy scored 14 goals in 26 Premier League games last season. Torres never even sniffed double digits during his time here, and his all-round play was nowhere near the quality of what we saw from Remy at the weekend.

Disagree with that. Remy is a good player and is an upgrade on both Torres and Ba in my opinion.

Costa is one of the absolute best strikers in the world - and without his 32m release clause would have cost at least double that fee - so of course there's going to be a difference in quality between our #1 and #2 striker. I think Remy would have been our first choice striker last season had he been at the club.

In the corresponding fixture last season (Palace 1 - 0 Chelsea) Torres was an absolute waste of space as per usual so being 'OK' (Remy was more than just OK on Saturday) in games against the likes of Palace is what we want from him.

And until he plays against stronger opposition in the CL we don't know how he'll fare so at least give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's OK to agree to disagree.

However, in the same post you ask me to remember what Remy did in the PL (for a far small outfit in completely different conditions) AND give him the benefit of the doubt.

However, in the same post you ask me to remember what Remy did in the PL (for a far small outfit in completely different conditions) AND give him the benefit of the doubt.

I agree with most of what you said originally, im not convinced with Remy in the long run, I think he will only ever be back up and not competition for Diego, however Remy is light years ahead of Torres, Fernando is absolute dog shit, Loic has his uses as a squad player atleast.

Right, because those two points somehow weaken my argument.

I'm asking you to remember what happened last season; I'm not asking you to recall what happened 4 or 5 years. Giving Remy the benefit of the doubt is the least you could do since, you know, he hasn't actually let us down against good opposition.

Right, because those two points somehow weaken my argument.

I'm asking you to remember what happened last season; I'm not asking you to recall what happened 4 or 5 years. Giving Remy the benefit of the doubt is the least you could do since, you know, he hasn't actually let us down against good opposition.

They do indeed weaken your argument, but certainly do not negate it.

I've watched Remy play many times, so I tend to go with "I know what he can do already." He's no youngster, but yes, it's a new challenge for him and there is a possibility of small improvement still. I do have hope he raises to the challenge, but realistically I find that unlikely due to his age and price tag – considering the hundreds of scouts and professionals involved.

I completely agree that Costa is worth more than 32m, but reckon we could’ve done better than Remy as a second striker. Especially considering how utterly useless Drogba is at 35 – I mean he was dreadful for Galatassaray last season and bad for Ivory Coast in the WC.

I wouldn’t mind having Remy along a more powerful player like benteke for example. Or optionally, we could’ve gone up a notch by, say, spending 20m for a second striker, who would be more likely to provide proper cover for a top striker like Costa.

BTW, we are far more fluid in attack this season than last regardless of striker. On the other hand, the defense looks more vulnerable too, which may become a problem later on this season and especially in the CL single-elimination stage.