We really need additional striker?

hennyman

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, that if Plan A (Costa) fails, we'll see more of Schurrle up top than many of us are expecting. I don't think we need another forward at this moment in time now we know Didier's injury isn't as bad as first feared. Nando is useless, granted, but Drogba, Schurrle and Costa should give us enough firepower. Plus let's no forget we can always plays with a False 9 in an injury crisis - we moreorless played with No 9 when any of our strikers played last season, one or two excellent individual performances aside.

Schürrle in the 1st leg of the CL quarter final against PSG didn't work at all. Schürrle as a striker hasn't worked out like everybod wanted

He had, what, three games last season as a CF, in his debut season in England? Hardly fair to judge him by that. He can't be any worse than Torres.

He had, what, three games last season as a CF, in his debut season in England? Hardly fair to judge him by that. He can't be any worse than Torres.

Sure. He would be my first option after Costa,too. I just wanted to point out that we can't trust on Schürrle being 100% there when Costa isn't available. Schürrle didn't play CF at Mainz, he dind't play CF at Leverkusen and he doesn't play as a CF in the national team.

Sure. He would be my first option after Costa,too. I just wanted to point out that we can't trust on Schürrle being 100% there when Costa isn't available. Schürrle didn't play CF at Mainz, he dind't play CF at Leverkusen and he doesn't play as a CF in the national team.

Oh yeah, totally agree with that. I'm just saying he's an option in dire circumstances, or if José wants to experiment with something different. Hence there's no need to splash out on another striker when we have three out and out CFs, another guy (Schurrle) who can fill the void, and players like Hazard or Cesc who, in a worst-case scenario, could be played as a False 9.

shurrle is an excellent player and expect at least 10- 15 goals from him this season, mostly cutting in from the flanks. He is at his best when he runs into defense from either of the flanks. He likes to get into spaces and try to score from distances, therefore not a good option a CF.

I don't think this season is a season for experimenting with false 9s or playing with under performing strikers such as Torres! We have done a lot of that to no avail. In fact, those experiments ended up over using or spending or attacking midfielders at critical phase of the season! The likes of Oscar and Hazard can continue to create changes and occassionally score goals, if they get reliable CFs to relieve the burden scoring goals off their shoulders!

To get someone who can come off the bench, I don't think we need to break bank. Someone like Remy, Lavezzi can be signed for under 10m. Its just that I don't want us crying over finishing deficiencies for 3rd season in a row.

The problem is we can not simply buy a foreign player. Our non-homegrown squad already exceeds the 17 players contingent( btw who will even be excleded?). OUr addition needs to be homegrown

steven Fletcher would be a great option if homegrown. (is he?)

jay rodriguez would probably be the best available homegrown option. Suddenly Liverpool look smart snapping up Rickie Lambert. He would have been a perfect 2nd/3rd striker

Also I have always been a fan of GAry hoopers instinctive finishing in the scottish premiership...

to answer your question, "homegrown" does not apply to Scottish players unless, I suppose, they were trained in their youth for a number of years in England--just like any other foreign-born talent. the natural "homegrown" players are only English or Welsh.

The thread title insinuated to me that the author posed a question countering the consensus and was going to argue against needing another striker, which would have been an interesting read (maybe). But granted, my expectations were based on the hope of a moron having found the "new topic" button, because nobody can argue against something this obvious.

We currently have 2 strikers, we need at least 3. Simple math.

Don't think chicarito wants to go from a bench to another one. He's at an age where he wants to be the no striker at a lesser club.

Bony is my favorite.

He'd be a 2nd option here, as opposed to 4th at Man u. Bony isn't at that age?

Not the right guy. don't want him. and now he looks like he's putting on lard weight.

Steven Fletcher is a better lone striker for 90 minutes, but that's just one example.

LMAO.

Best wait until January..

Doubt we'll have a crisis before then, Costa recovered swifty after his last injury.

Yeah, based on us signing Drogba that's my expectation too.... if we do go in for a striker it will be in Jan, especially if we can't make room for a non-HG player in this window.

We all know Torres will get his fair share of games, he's the elephant in the room on TC.

Agreed. People always dismiss Torres. For a back up striker, he puts up pretty good numbers.