'Market Still Open'; Jose Mourinho Press Conference Highlights Pre-Burnley

CHOULO19

Jose Mourinho was very happy to be back at the Bridge for the largely anticipated first prematch press conference of the new season ahead of the clash against Burnley on Monday night.

"For me, pre-season was very long, for some players it was very short, but for me and my staff it was very long." he said. "The holiday period was even bigger due to the World Cup."

"'I am not saying I am nervous or feeling something special, I'm just happy to be back to competing and the players are the same." He added. "To be back to the real competition is a fantastic feeling. I never hide the fact I like real competition and to be so long without a proper match creates a feeling."

Genuine Title Contenders

It was clear in the PC that the Portuguese has a different approach and mentality to this new season, specifically for the title challenge.

"Yes we are title contenders." Said Mourinho. "Last season we were not feeling as though we were a title contender but in fact we finished very close to the title.We didn't feel as one of the favorites for the Champions League and we played a semi-final, so we did well."

"This season obviously we bought some key players, we believe and we are feeling that the new players have brought the squad and team into another dimension."

Burnley

But the boss was quick to acknowledge the difficulty of the opponents in the EPL and show them respect, starting with our first opponent, Burnley:

"If you expect me to say we will win the Premier League I can’t say that. I can’t because I have to respect the competition, which is the only one that has more than two title contenders. I have to respect the opponents and efforts the other teams made to improve their already top teams, but we all feel we are title contenders." He said, adding: "To win against Burnley is the first step, and to win against Burnley will be very hard."

First Goalkeeper

For the second time this week, Jose spoke about the goalkeeping 'battle' between veteran Petr Cech and youngster Thibaut Courtois for the starting spot in the team.

He reiterated that a decision has been made but that he cannot inform the press because "the players have not been told yet and they need to know before you." Adding that "with respect to all other goalkeepers, Chelsea has the 2 out of the 3 best keepers in the world"

But for the first time, the manager has hinted that one of the two could end up out side the club before September the second: "I don't think any manager happy to see one player not comfortable...if Petr plays, Courtois can think about leaving and vice versa. I cannot have one top keeper on the bench for 3 or 4 months"

Market Is Still Open

The final bomb that the Special One decided to drop today was his statement that seemed to negate his previous claims that Chelsea's transfer market is done.

Contrary to what he declared a few weeks back after the signing of Filipe Luis, Mourinho today said: "The market is open and experience tells us all that when the market is open and you can never say what is going to happen" throwing the door to Chelsea signing new players before the end of the window wide open again.

All in all, Jose Mourinho starts the season with a very informative and eventful press conference as he so often does.

Click here to view article.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic