We're A Selling Club, 'Redefined'.

Stockpiling talent on the fringes of the squad - putting them in the shop window through loans - selling them for profit

The club sent 27 players on loan last season (no club has ever operated on that scale!), only 9/27 made an appearance for us. If you break down the actual youth products and highly rated youths we’ve signed, the numbers could never add up, these guys are Chelsea players by technicality only.

Bertrand Traore, Christian Atsu, Mario Pasalic, Cristian Cuevas are one successful loan away from making us a substantial profit. Have we found a niche?, are we going to start seeing City, United etc following our blueprint?, is this the FFP killer..

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've certainly found a niche among the bigger European clubs and we needed to as our revenues don't compare with those other truly 'global' clubs. Whether United and City will follow suit - United are a monster that'll never be affected by FFP (£75m Adidas is proof enough) and City (as alsoPSG) seem to have found their own niche with the Etihad naming rights deal (whether that'll eventually stand as arm's length price is the question that UEFA must answer if they want FFP to be taken seriously).

It is obviously clever if they planned it (buying players to sell for profit). I'm am not so sure, i think they have just stumbled across it. The 4 players that we have sold for a hefty profit i am sure everybody would agree were bought to play a major role in the first team and for whatever reason it all went sour and they were deemed surplus to requirements.. In selling them we have obviously stumbled across a fantastic idea/way of generating funds.

It is obviously clever if they planned it (buying players to sell for profit). I'm am not so sure, i think they have just stumbled across it. The 4 players that we have sold for a hefty profit i am sure everybody would agree were bought to play a major role in the first team and for whatever reason it all went sour and they were deemed surplus to requirements.. In selling them we have obviously stumbled across a fantastic idea/way of generating funds.

I think they did plan it. Maybe not with KDB/Lukaku and that lot but with the youngsters we signed from like 05 onwards, we all realistically knew that at best 1/10 would be good enough for Chelsea, and out of the other 9 roughly 4/5 would make a healthy profit for the club to be able to go on and buy top class talent to make us a team which stays at the top.

Chelsea were enthusiastic supporters of FFP, which indicates they already had countermeasures in mind. You'll notice the stockpiling and en masse loaning of players has really picked up since about 2010. The risks are minimal and if the loans work out, the payoffs are huge (whether in the form of resales or first team integration), so it's a no brainer once you think about it.

The problem with that strategy, it is immoral and to an extent unethical as it stagnates younger players development. Out of the 4 players sold all of them were supposed to be in the first team. Mata was a first team regular, Kevin was supposed to be Malouda's replacement when we finished 6th, Lukaku was supposed to be our future. Look at players like Josh, van aanholt, Bertrand whose careers we have ruined through this policy of loaning out

The problem with that strategy, it is immoral and to an extent unethical as it stagnates younger players development. Out of the 4 players sold all of them were supposed to be in the first team. Mata was a first team regular, Kevin was supposed to be Malouda's replacement when we finished 6th, Lukaku was supposed to be our future. Look at players like Josh, van aanholt, Bertrand whose careers we have ruined through this policy of loaning out

Are you sure we've ruined their careers? Not sure how Mata's relevant, but KDB is a regular for Belgium already- as is Lukaku- both have secured big money moves to very good clubs. Van Aanholts now got the chance to play in the PL with Sunderland and Bertrand's been capped by England. A lot of these players get more opportunities based on the reputation and profile of the club

I also don't get why loans are so bad, players get sent to clubs at a level that suits them and can progress to loans at bigger clubs. What we're doing doesn't seem a whole lot different to what Porto etc have done for years and far more ethical then third party ownership in players

On other hand, at least of those 42395085'03481580 players we produce in youth system or buy and send on loan should become our first eleven player. But it doesnt happen.

And we fail in that aspect more than any other club too.

On other hand, at least of those 42395085'03481580 players we produce in youth system or buy and send on loan should become our first eleven player. But it doesnt happen.

And we fail in that aspect more than any other club too.

And it has been explained countless of times why that's the reason. Managerial instability.

And it has been explained countless of times why that's the reason. Managerial instability.

Managerial instability. To not produce ONE player ever since Terry in 1998??? Cmon, I know its extremely hard to give youth a chance with new coach every two years, but still that aint excuse. Lack of trust and constant desire of geting short term success is more guilty for youth not developing as they should.

Managerial instability. To not produce ONE player ever since Terry in 1998??? Cmon, I know its extremely hard to give youth a chance with new coach every two years, but still that aint excuse. Lack of trust and constant desire of geting short term success is more guilty for youth not developing as they should.

Managerial instability + the fact that we always wanted to compete short term wise is the reason why, definitely. It isn't that hard to understand. How do you expect a manager to trust any youth player when their job is constantly on the line?

Tell me, who was the last player that came out of Real Madrid's academy and is now a valuable for them? We aren't the only clubs that have this problem. Hopefully now with Mourinho back here for quite a while and the team finally being pretty complete and balanced, we'll see more youngsters coming through.

Managerial instability + the fact that we always wanted to compete short term wise is the reason why, definitely. It isn't that hard to understand.

Tell me, who was the last player that came out of Real Madrid's academy and is now a valuable for them?

I dont give single fuck about Real and their youth players. Perez is one of most deluded people in world football. Business man, not football club president.

Bayern in 2007 was without CL,one of their lowest lows in recent history, much like we in 2010 but their board gave chance to german youth players who eventualy brought team to were it is now. Its about a system and with Roman + Chelsea will never give youth product. He can tell whatever he wants, give chance to whoever manager, but at the end he will change opinion after one year. Roman gave this club alot, but youth is something that wont profit out of that I think.

We have RLC and Baker in team, yet we went to buy Romeu one year, we get tired, we buy Ginkel, Pasalic, next year it will be someone else. No wonder Baker (just setting example) wont succeed if such system will be going on here. And if club is putting sheer profit of these buys to generate more money ahead of youth system...well thats sad.

In 2017, I prefer developed Baker in first 11 than 80m of profit. I almost forgot how it feels to have english, youth system player growing in his game season after season. It was great watching Terry and Lamps (who isnt our youth but still) grow and develop in our team to one of best in their position.

I suppose it's down to the players, they expect to play every time, but they aren't getting that and want to leave. We can't keep people who don't want to be here. Their performance drops and that effects us as a club. But I stand by our manager.

Bayern in 2007 was without CL,one of their lowest lows in recent history, much like we in 2010 but their board gave chance to german youth players who eventualy brought team to were it is now. Its about a system and with Roman + Chelsea will never give youth product. He can tell whatever he wants, give chance to whoever manager, but at the end he will change opinion after one year. Roman gave this club alot, but youth is something that wont profit out of that I think.

If you look back the Bundesliga was at one of its lowest lows, too, that time when Bayern was struggling. Not saying we shouldn't have brought a academy player through but using Bayern/Bundesliga as a comparison isn't ideal. One could argue that Bayern should have called up youth players when Dortmund won two league titles in a row instead of completing multi-million transfers but they're smarter than that. They know that moneys wins titles.