The possible 4-3-3 question needs answering

hjperdeath

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to expand on the 3-5-2 point, so I thought it would be better to do it here instead of making another topic.

I did take some training sessions on the defensive role of wing-backs and mobile three man defensive line so I did some digging up.

Once again, it's just me looking into it and not necessarily something Chelsea will employ.

Main formation :

image.jpg

Defensive strategy I :

image.jpg

Defensive strategy II :

image.jpg

Midfield strategy :

image.jpg

Offensive strategy :

image.jpg

Advantages :

image.jpg

Disadvantages :

image.jpg

^ a 4-2-3-1 doesn't always have to have a double pivot in there. I'd say we played 4-2-3-1 last season rather with a single pivot - i.e. Matic usually sitting deep to shield the back four and the 2nd midfielder joining the attacking process of the situation at the time. Sure, Oscar came back a lot to retrieve the ball but that had more to do with us not having someone who could spread play from deep. The 4-2-3-1 is a permutation of the 4-3-3 anyway so there will always be similarities.

Also regarding switching wingers. There's no reason why either wingers won't be able to know either's role, so it definitely is a possibility, I wouldn't write it off like that. Nothing's stopping Schurrle from knowing Hazard's tactical implementations and vice versa.

If you look at the average position of our team in any game, you'll probably say that is 4-3-3. Point is, there can be more variation from one 4-2-3-1 to another than to a 4-3-3, so I see no point in making a distinction between the two. Instead we should make distinctions between tactical duties.

Regarding the exchanging wingers, I think it can happen once or twice a game, but never as frequent as it used to with Robben and Cole. If Jose said so in an interview last season (can't remember when, but I distinctly remember him saying that the three AMs don't have total freedom to exchange positions). Exchanging positions confuses the defense, but it also confuses the players themselves and what tactical duties they have.

PS: Is it just me or are those pics not showing @hjperdeath?

hmm, seem to be working fine. tried opening in a new tab?

PS: Is it just me or are those pics not showing @hjperdeath?

It's working for me.

Yeah, I have to open them in a new tab before they work. Maybe it's my browser (Chrome), are you using the same Choo? If you want I could upload them to somewhere like Imgur who are a better when it comes to embedding images across all browsers?

Yeah, I have to open them in a new tab before they work. Maybe it's my browser (Chrome), are you using the same Choo? If you want I could upload them to somewhere like Imgur who are a better when it comes to embedding images across all browsers?

Yeah please do that. I needed something quick cause I can't go more than 15kbps per second, so that would be great !

Yeah, Chrome for me too. (Do people still use other browsers?! :lol: )

Yeah please do that. I needed something quick cause I can't go more than 15kbps per second, so that would be great !

I'll upload them somewhere and edit your post.