Filipe Luís

Jase

Who else then? Is Mourinho really interested in Shaw, Rodriguez, Moreno? Or is it just us here on this forum wanting them? I've seen no rumour saying Jose is willing to match United's offer and pay ¢ã33m to Southampton and02¢ã6m per annum to the player. And nothing about Rodriguez since December. Or anything reliable about Moreno.

Filipe Luis is the "strongest" rumour about a left-back out there. Every Spanish source was quoted by saying "Mourinho rates him highly, he wants him at Chelsea, he wants to double his wages, he wants to trigger his release clause just to have him at Chelsea, the player is interested, the player is delighted with the offer, the agent confirmed" and so on.

I think we've all went through plenty of transfer windows since we follow this club and we can now make the difference between utter shite rumours and close to happening ones. To me, Courtois, Filipe Luis, Tiago and Diego Costa coming to Chelsea looks like a very strong and trustable rumour. And it won't be a bad deal either you know - Chelsea will have four regulars from the La Liga champion and the finalist of Champions League for only ¢ã63m.0202

Luis will be perfect for 2-3 years before he starts losing pace, and we have another aging cole in our team again.

Theonlyplacetobe has explained that 3 years is longer than I think, like the time luiz has been here but it means we'll buy again that time. I just wish we can find another azpi, cheap, young, good value, but left footed.

Luis will be perfect for 2-3 years before he starts losing pace, and we have another aging cole in our team again.

Theonlyplacetobe has explained that 3 years is longer than I think, like the time luiz has been here but it means we'll buy again that time. I just wish we can find another azpi, cheap, young, good value, but left footed.

The problem is that there are not many Azpi's out there man,we're just very lucky to have found Azpi before any other big club could have signed him.

I just wish we can find another azpi, cheap, young, good value, but left footed.

Like who? There's no one out there at the moment and we really need a left-back now, we can't afford to wait a year or two for a bargain. If we get Luis now, we can start looking for a cheap long-term replacement immediately but for a few years there's no hurry because we'd be more than fine with Luis. If out of desperation we start getting some second-rate youngsters for 5-10m and hope for them to come good, we could end up paying Filipe Luis kind of money in a few years anyway while getting fuck all in return. That's just the reality at the moment, either pay 20-30m for a youngster who is likely to become top class or get guaranteed "short-term" success (still 3-4 years) with someone like Luis while patiently looking for the 'left-footed Azpilicueta' type of signing. We could buy Filipe now for 20m and find a long-term replacement for less than 10m within a couple of years or we could spend the 30m now to get Shaw, who's still not guaranteed to be a success.

Luis is not a bad signing at all to me, he is a very good left back after all and is very good going forward and solid at the back...

However, if we're going to spend £20m+ on a LB I'd prefer Shaw instead.

Either way, it's still an improvement because it'll mean that we can finally get proper natural width from our full backs, as it'll mean Azpi will move back to the right.

There seems to be a dearth of decent options. Apart from Coentrao who seems a bit of a long shot and probably expensive, the other options seem to be youngsters like Moreno, Shaw and Rodriguez none of whom is all that proven or cheap.

It's not like we have an aversion to buying young players in that sweet spot of early-20s (Schurrle, Azpi, Hazard etc.) but there simply don't appear to be many out there. As it is we're probably getting the best one currently available. Sometimes it's too easy to get caught up in 'the future' (I'm probably as guilty of that as anyone) but two-three years is a long time. That's a lot of weekends, a lot of matches and a lot of matchday threads to post comments about how good Luis looks.

If we get three years out of him then that's only 5 months less than we got out of David Luiz. It's a deceptively long period of time.

I actually agree with the last part. Full backs should be able to hold a high level until they are around 32 (in my experience at least) which would give us 3-4 seasons with an excellent option on the flank.

Of course it would propably be wiser to buy younger and get more for the money, but at the same time we can not only have talented youngsters in the team. Some experience is required, and Luis and Tiago would both add that.

I am in the RR-camp, but Luis is a very good defender that would add a lot right from the go. Chelsea can afford to spend £20m without thinking twice.

If our transfer window is Tiago, Luis and Costa then we will actually end 2014 with a net profit (an even larger one if Marin, Romeu, Moses and one of Ba/Torres) leaves. The wages should also move downwards.

Costa

Hazard Oscar Willian

Matic Tiago

Luis Terry Cahill Cesar

Cech

That would actually be a much stronger lineup than last season, and it would give MVG and some youngsters a chance. I would love to see Koke or Pogba come in, the same with RR, but this is very good. I would say that the only weak link would be the very slow pivot (and then we can throw in MVG or Ramires if the need arises).

The problem is that there are not many Azpi's out there man,we're just very lucky to have found Azpi before any other big club could have signed him.

I haven't seen a lot of games of alberto moreno, or ricardo rodriguez in person, but they seem reasonable options for the prices stated.

Like who? There's no one out there at the moment and we really need a left-back now, we can't afford to wait a year or two for a bargain. If we get Luis now, we can start looking for a cheap long-term replacement immediately but for a few years there's no hurry because we'd be more than fine with Luis. If out of desperation we start getting some second-rate youngster for 5-10m and hope for them to come good, we could end up paying Filipe Luis kind of money in a few years anyway while getting fuck all in return. That's just the reality at the moment, either pay 20-30m for a youngster who is likely to become top class, or get guaranteed "short-term" success (still 3-4 years) with someone like Luis and patiently look for the 'left-footed Azpilcueta' type of signing. We could buy Filipe now for 20m and find a long-term replacement for less than 10m within a couple of years or we could spend the 30m now to get Shaw, who's still not guaranteed to be a success.

That's a good thought. Only if we don't spend more than 20mil on luis though bcos I'm seeing rumours of 25mil, and then if we can get a cheaper long term option in 2-3 years time then this won't look bad.

This lad is a very established and solid full back with mass amounts of experience behind him. I was speaking with an Atleti fan on another forum and he said that we will be getting one of the most consistent LB's in Europe if we purchase him, and he also said he will be gutted to see him leave.

I have no worries about this if it happens. The lad is a very good footballer.

I haven't seen a lot of games of alberto moreno, or ricardo rodriguez in person, but they seem reasonable options for the prices stated.

That's a good thought. Only if we don't spend more than 20mil on luis though bcos I'm seeing rumours of 25mil, and then if we can get a cheaper long term option in 2-3 years time then this won't look bad.

Filipe Luis would cost 24m euros max, because that's his release clause. In pounds that's like 19m and there were rumours in Marca yesterday that due to the good relationship between our clubs the price could even be slightly below the release clause, something around 17-18m GBP. No way Moreno or Rodriguez would go for any less than that, let alone Shaw who would be double the price if we include the slightly higher wages too.

I agree that Moreno or Rodriguez could be good deals, maybe even better long-term than Filipe Luis but are they available? I would be equally happy with whoever we got be it Luis, Moreno, Rodriguez or even Shaw.

Just did some quick calculations during my lunch break at work.

2014: Luis @ £19m and £80k a week for four years

2016: Thoroughly scouted "new Azpilicueta type signing" @ £10m + £40k a week for three years (before new contract)

2019: Contract extension for the new LB at £100k a week for another five years

2024: Filipe well into retirement and new left-back probably nearing the end of his career at around 30-32, total amount spent £76m

OR

2014: Shaw @ £27m and £100k a week for three years

2017: Contract extension with £150k a week wages for another four years

2021: Another contract with £150k a week

2025: Shaw 29 years old, total amount spent £102m

Getting Shaw for the amounts being quoted is ridiculous even if we got him for over ten years because if he receives such a big contract from the start, then renewing it will be expensive as fuck and we can easily get Filipe for the next few years and a reasonably priced 20-25 year old at some point for the same price as getting only Shaw and I would consider the Filipe + another LB route a much safer bet.

Luis is not a bad signing at all to me, he is a very good left back after all and is very good going forward and solid at the back...

However, if we're going to spend £20m+ on a LB I'd prefer Shaw instead.

Either way, it's still an improvement because it'll mean that we can finally get proper natural width from our full backs, as it'll mean Azpi will move back to the right.

This. It's clearly not a case of 'OMG Luis so shit Shaw so good rant rant'.

They're both very good options and arguably Luis is just that little bit better in the immediate sense. But if we're willing to spend upto 24 million on a 29 y.o then why can't we add another 6 on top of that and get someone maybe 10% lacking right now but who could be world class for 10 years? Then we also do away with the need to repeat the process 3 years down the line. Is Shaw a risk? Sure, who isn't. The risk is only proportional to the potential reward, though.

But why bother understanding this when you can dismiss others as FM players on the internet.

Warming to the idea more and more. I'd still love Shaw, but I think Luis will instantly bed in and hit the ground running. He'd be one of, if not the best LB in the league straight away and even though it may only be for a few seasons, oh well.

I'd be happy with this signing. Tiago not so much.

I actually wouldn't be completely upset at acquiring him if the fee is right. I like having a veteran laden back four and he fits the bill there. He will also allow us to slowly blood in some of our youth and if the rumours are true he could play a role in helping to settle Courtois and Costa.