Filipe Luís

Jase

We had a great defensive system - the defence itself is not exceptional. Luis could easily replace Azpi's defensive work and offer a lot more going forward. Azpi and Ivanovic have hardly been solid defensively, both regularly getting beaten and Azpi quite often failing in maintaing the offside trap (Leicester's 1v1 and Swansea's 2nd goal come to mind). Azpi's attacking threat is non-existent and even when he cuts in onto his right foot his delivieries aren't great. I don't understand what adaptation Luis has to do: he's played and excelled against the very best in Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Good point. I think his 1v1 marking is great but recently he has the tendency to play people onside. Happened for Spain as well when iirc he played Valbuena on which led to Remy's goal. I'm sure Jose would have noticed this and will sort it out soon though.

I think Luis should start vs Schalke. He is no rookie who needs hand holding imo and should do just fine while offering more going forward than Azpi on the left.

We had a great defensive system - the defence itself is not exceptional. Luis could easily replace Azpi's defensive work and offer a lot more going forward. Azpi and Ivanovic have hardly been solid defensively, both regularly getting beaten and Azpi quite often failing in maintaing the offside trap (Leicester's 1v1 and Swansea's 2nd goal come to mind). Azpi's attacking threat is non-existent and even when he cuts in onto his right foot his delivieries aren't great. I don't understand what adaptation Luis has to do: he's played and excelled against the very best in Real Madrid and Barcelona.

The difference is that I made my assesment based on what we did last season until final match of preseason. Our back 4 consist of Azpi, Ivan, Cahill, and Terry are very solid.

If you asked me about our defender performance this season so far (4 match), I am agree with you.

About Luis, unfortunately it is not me nor you are the boss. Jose is the boss, he knows the condition inside the team, we don't know what's the problem and I trust his choice.

I think, whatever the problem Luis have at the moment, or how good Luis was last season, Jose feel he is not ready yet. That's why Jose still stick with our main back 4 for the first 4 match, despite some of them have already made some mistakes, I believe they are still the best choice at the moment, if Jose think so.

Also who can guarantee if Luis replace one of them, we will not conceded a lot of goals against the likes of Everton and Swansea? Nobody. Yes we made some mistakes that should not happened, but Everton and Swansea are in their best performance too. We are not playing against Qphaha or something, who is the shittest team in the league.

About time we had a fullback with such quality in crossing. Brilliant offensively and rarely got caught out at the back. Arguably our best defender tonight.

Another positive from tonight. I'm good.