Filipe Luís

Jase

All I've said was that he didn't do enough to get the start at Burnley, I fully expect him to come into the team and perhaps lock down that position. His age and fee make no difference either, we bought Zhirkov for 18m when we had Cole as the best LB in the world.

Mourinho likes competition for places, it keeps players sharp, Luis was perhaps brought to play LB for the season but he still has to win the position. Jose isn't the type of manager to give a player a job just because he's a new signing. He still has to show that he fits with the squad with his performances and as of right now his performance level has not surpassed that of Brana's or Azpi's. Do I expect that to change? Ideally yes, but its not a lock.

The last part of your post just echoed what I've already been saying.

and did I ever quote you that? I said in the very post you quoted me that I didn't expect him to start the first FEW matches of the season because of all players we signed, he's the one struggling the adapt the most (the other three are not even struggling). He's been struggling a bit (not even much imo) and when he's finally ready to start matches, one between Azpili and Iva won't see many matches. I sometimes favor Azpili, but Iva is so important as a player, a leader and a reference in the pitch that not even all the never ending dedication and work that Azpili shows during all 90 minutes can top it.

If he wasn't struggling, if he was well adapted like his teammate Costa is, I bet you he was already starting as well. But he's struggling to adapt... it has nothing to do with proving anything. He is a better LB than Azpilicueta, there's no discussion at all about it, but he hasn't settled yet, so no wonder Azpili is playing there. The big question now isn't who is going to be our LB this season, the big question - and Iva made sure it happened - is who's going to be our LB. Once Luís enters the team - and it'll happen when he settles - he won't leave it anymore imo. He is in the bench not because he has to prove anything to Mourinho, but because clearly he's struggling and hasn't showed even in the slightest what he used to do at Atleti. Courtois did nothing exceptional (wasn't better than Cech, nor worse) in the PS to have 'stole' that position from Cech (he's barely featured in the PS to start with) and who was our #1 yesterday? So my argument in the previous post stands... the first match of the season says nothing about what Mourinho thinks is his first team. Remember de Bruyne last year? I know I do... he said he has a first team in his head and that he wasn't going with it yet because he had to take into consideration who was in shape already and who wasn't. I think the player he had in mind when he said it was Luís and someone else that got the nod in the last training sessions - as this interview was on Friday and the team probably trained at least one day between Saturday and Sunday...

and did I ever quote you that? I said in the very post you quoted me that I didn't expect him to start the first FEW matches of the season because of all players we signed, he's the one struggling the adapt the most (the other three are not even struggling). He's been struggling a bit (not even much imo) and when he's finally ready to start matches, one between Azpili and Iva won't see many matches. I sometimes favor Azpili, but Iva is so important as a player, a leader and a reference in the pitch that not even all the never ending dedication and work that Azpili shows during all 90 minutes can top it.

If he wasn't struggling, if he was well adapted like his teammate Costa is, I bet you he was already starting as well. But he's struggling to adapt... it has nothing to do with proving anything. He is a better LB than Azpilicueta, there's no discussion at all about it, but he hasn't settled yet, so no wonder Azpili is playing there. The big question now isn't who is going to be our LB this season, the big question - and Iva made sure it happened - is who's going to be our LB. Once Luís enters the team - and it'll happen when he settles - he won't leave it anymore imo. He is in the bench not because he has to prove anything to Mourinho, but because clearly he's struggling and hasn't showed even in the slightest what he used to do at Atleti. Courtois did nothing exceptional (wasn't better than Cech, nor worse) in the PS to have 'stole' that position from Cech (he's barely featured in the PS to start with) and who was our #1 yesterday? So my argument in the previous post stands... the first match of the season says nothing about what Mourinho thinks is his first team. Remember de Bruyne last year? I know I do... he said he has a first team in his head and that he wasn't going with it yet because he had to take into consideration who was in shape already and who wasn't. I think the player he had in mind when he said it was Luís and someone else that got the nod in the last training sessions - as this interview was on Friday and the team probably trained at least one day between Saturday and Sunday...

I think you're underestimating what Azpi did for the team last year. He was nothing short of incredible and it WILL take some doing to supplant him from his role in the squad. Its not just a matter of adjusting, he still has to beat Azpi for the shirt and you're right, on current form he hasn't been able to do it.

I think everyone understands that the situation that is Cech/Courtois goes a lot deeper than pre season, we need Courtois to sign an extension and he won't do that playing second fiddle... Pretty simple stuff there.

As for DeBruyne weren't Oscar and Mata busy playing with the national team? Was Luis busy this past summer? Had the whole summer to get fit. Anyways every situation is different, in this case I would say the competition for places is more fierce than many of you care to acknowledge. Jose doesn't hand over a jersey its always earned and right now Luis has some work to do...

We will see how well Luis acclimatizes himself to a faster, more physical league. I have a sneaking suspicion that it may be a few weeks before he even gets a sniff and its not because he's a bad player but because we had an incredible back four last year and to break into it is extremely tough, especially when you examine how cavalier we want to be offensively. We will need a group that have an incredible understanding of one another.

Luis will get in whether he stays there long term... Not as automatic as some may think.

Is there something wrong with him fitness wise? He was on the bench, so I doubt that. Today would have been the perfect day and perfect opposition to play him against. I was fully expecting him to start so that he could acclimatize with his teammates and so that we could have had at least some real attacking threat down the left.

The same way it was a no brainer to start Courtois over Cech due to the age difference it is a no brainer that Luis will get that LB position soon. I know Azpi came off an excellent season and so on but you don't spend around £15m on a LB to provide competition to another LB. If you buy a 28/29 year old LB for that amount of money they have to start so I hope it is a matter of time before we see him starting there. I know Drogba is a legend here and so on but would have liked to seen Luis been used as our final sub and eased into action and to get his PL debut. As much as we all appreciate Azpilicueta's performances at LB and he has not done anything wrong while playing there, we could still do with a natural LB like Luis there and I hope to see him there soon. He was quality for Atletico and last season was arguably the best fullback in Europe so hopefully we see those performances in a Chelsea shirt soon and as I was saying, with the fee we bought him for it at his age, it makes no sense for him to be on the bench.

I'm sure Jose would've liked to have eased him in after 60 minutes but we simply weren't in a position to do that. Azpi will play at Everton so it's not the worst thing in the world for him get these minutes, and Luis will get minutes down the line.

Azpi actually had a decent game yesterday, much improved from his Burnley performance so it's not guaranteed that this guy will lock down that position.

The same way it was a no brainer to start Courtois over Cech due to the age difference it is a no brainer that Luis will get that LB position soon. I know Azpi came off an excellent season and so on but you don't spend around £15m on a LB to provide competition to another LB. If you buy a 28/29 year old LB for that amount of money they have to start so I hope it is a matter of time before we see him starting there. I know Drogba is a legend here and so on but would have liked to seen Luis been used as our final sub and eased into action and to get his PL debut. As much as we all appreciate Azpilicueta's performances at LB and he has not done anything wrong while playing there, we could still do with a natural LB like Luis there and I hope to see him there soon. He was quality for Atletico and last season was arguably the best fullback in Europe so hopefully we see those performances in a Chelsea shirt soon and as I was saying, with the fee we bought him for it at his age, it makes no sense for him to be on the bench.

I get the impression that so far Jose simply isn't impressed with Luis's performance in preseason and what he sees every day in training. I'm sure he intended Luis to be a starter, but Jose isn't the kind of guy who will play a player only because he spent £15m on him. He'll pick based on form. Luis has to impress him enough to start over Azpi.

I think it may be down to him struggling to adapt and not being on his best form yet as Azpilicueta hasn't been nearly as good as last season in the two matches he's had this season. It's been a significant drop imo - which just shows how immense he was last season as despite not being even 80 or even 70% as good, he hasn't been bad. He's made a few mistakes we didn't watch and maybe he's either not in shape either or he's feeling a bit threatened by the competition... I don't know, but either way he hasn't upped his performances to create a problem to Mourinho. I think Luís has a problem in his hands to solve about himself whether it's shape or adaptation struggles, but I feel like once he becomes confident and gets used to the league, he won't leave the team.

Azpili has been averaging a 6.5 so far this season whereas Iva is averaging something like 9.0 (or maybe 8.5, as I'm highly excited about Iva and I may be biased), so it's not that hard for Luís to displace Cesar if he doesn't up his game - which I hope he does. It's great to have players at the best of their qualities.

I won't deny though that I'm really anxious to watch a well adapted and in form Luís linking up in our left wing and crossing. Azpili has been nearly anonymous supporting our attack in those first two matches (and something he was never widely known for imo - even last season). Also, Luís is very consistent defensively, so it doesn't make much sense to keep a RB playing in the LB without offering top performances, if we have an in form LB for the position. The key words here are 'in form' though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy he's been finally capped for the NT, and in hindsight he didn't miss much by not going to the WC given the humiliation Brazil went through.

Still I can't wait for him to play for us more often and consistently. I'm very anxious to see how he'll link up with Hazard. As much as I love Azpili and I think his contributions are immense defensively, offensively he's very shy and coy...

Luís would release the beast on Hazard imo.

As for the match today, can't say, didn't watch it...