Filipe Luís

Jase

Say Luis is here for three years, then we can start blooding someone like Dasilva in his final year or look at other young prospects we might acquire. Or we might simply look to bring someone else in when Luis leaves.

With the Tiago situation I think he gives us a safety net to maybe start blooding some of the youngsters from this upcoming season. Chalobah should be in the first team squad, Baker needs a loan in all likelihood and Loftus-Cheek could go either way.

That's exactly my point. Why spend money on buying Luis, a short term option when most likely we'll have to make another purchase (short term is our prospects are close or long term if they aren't) soon.

Why not just spend the 30M on Shaw then?

The only argument against Shaw is that we can get as good if not better first choice LB that can give us close to the same number of years he could.

Spending 15m every 3 years, I rather pay over the top for Shaw instead.

Tiago and Luis are completely different scenarios because it feels as a youngster will most likely replace Tiago but that won't be the case with Luis. You're looking at another acquisition before the current LB youngsters can be relied upon. Financially, a short term purchase doesn't make sense for the LB position, while it does for CM.

That's exactly my point. Why spend money on buying Luis, a short term option when most likely we'll have to make another purchase (short term is our prospects are close or long term if they aren't) soon.

Why not just spend the 30M on Shaw then?

The only argument against Shaw is that we can get as good if not better first choice LB that can give us close to the same number of years he could.

Because Shaw costs more in both wages and transfer fees and might not actually be as good as Luis. Shaw is a MASSIVE gamble. Luis is less so.

Spending 15m every 3 years, I rather pay over the top for Shaw instead.

Well that's something we don't know yet. We could uncover another young gem in that time or even develop our own in-house.

Tiago and Luis are completely different scenarios because it feels as a youngster will most likely replace Tiago but that won't be the case with Luis. You're looking at another acquisition before the current LB youngsters can be relied upon. Financially, a short term purchase doesn't make sense for the LB position, while it does for CM.

Again you're discounting the young players from making that step up which I'm not quite prepared to do yet. How purchasing Luis doesn't make sense I don't know. He's a good player. He's proven at the top-level and he costs quite a lot less than Shaw would.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for us to sign Shaw but it's a massively expensive gamble. Over the next couple of seasons we'd be set at left-back with Luis.

He's 29 though... I was honestly expecting us to offer something in the region of £5-7 million and if they decline, we move on to someone younger.

It looks like we're going to be the new and improved Atletico :lol:, Courtois, Costa and Tiago are nailed on, and we are also being linked with Luis and Koke.

We'd have to amend the club name. Chelsea de Madrid. :lol:

This transfer window is shaping up to be a really stupid one, why on earth would u pay 19.5 million for a 29 year old leftback who is only 3-4 years younger than A Cole?? when there is luke shaw, alberto moreno and rodriguez on the market for just abt the same amount??

This transfer window is shaping up to be a really stupid one, why on earth would u pay 19.5 million for a 29 year old leftback who is only 3-4 years younger than A Cole?? when there is luke shaw, alberto moreno and rodriguez on the market for just abt the same amount??

To be honest, all the media here are jumping on the Marca report. Wouldn't get too worried at the moment.[if you dont want filipe luis that is..]

To be honest, I don't know why we're not looking at Coentrao?

Good relationship with Jose, only 26 so is in his prime, and would be cheaper than Shaw or Luis.

Also he did want to leave Real last summer, not sure if he still wants to though