Filipe Luís

Jase

Ok, can we stop saying 28 all together now please, or using the hyphen '28-29'.

When he plays for Chelsea FC he will be 29 years old, we are discussing a 29 year old. Simple as that.

I don't really think age is relevant in the slightest here. We've got a young squad. We've got players that could all spend the next ten years here.

Signing 'older' players, who are proven to be top class isn't a bad thing. In fact, its probably a bonus to us.

I don't really think age is relevant in the slightest here. We've got a young squad. We've got players that could all spend the next ten years here.

Signing 'older' players, who are proven to be top class isn't a bad thing. In fact, its probably a bonus to us.

Not only that but we need veterans to help the younger players to mature

Not only that but we need veterans to help the younger players to mature

Exactly, with such young attacking and midfield players, plus potentially a young keeper, having an experience back four isn't a tragedy.

3/4+ potential years out of him, thats perhaps 3/4 European Cups, 3/4 Premier League titles, 3/4 FA Cups, etc.

Exactly, with such young attacking and midfield players, plus potentially a young keeper, having an experience back four isn't a tragedy.

3/4+ potential years out of him, thats perhaps 3/4 European Cups, 3/4 Premier League titles, 3/4 FA Cups, etc.

And its not like we haven't got oodles of cash to spend, we had to meet his buyout in order to grab him. If he flops out we can easily replace him... buying someone like Shaw, knowing that is will take time, makes it harder to replace him should he flop. Meanwhile we have a budding world beater who needs to be properly insulated in order to reach his potential in Eden Hazard.

And its not like we haven't got oodles of cash to spend, we had to meet his buyout in order to grab him. If he flops out we can easily replace him... buying someone like Shaw, knowing that is will take time, makes it harder to replace him should he flop. Meanwhile we have a budding world beater who needs to be properly insulated in order to reach his potential in Eden Hazard.

I would have liked to see Shaw come in if Ashley was staying. But, it looks like he's off so I think we need someone experienced to take his place.

I would have liked to see Shaw come in if Ashley was staying. But, it looks like he's off so I think we need someone experienced to take his place.

I like Shaw too but don't think he's ready to play at the high level we require him to be at. He would need a veteran like Ash for sure

Exactly. When we won the double in 2009/10 and the UCL we had a very experienced core of players. We've lost Lampard, Drogba and Cole in recent years, who were all "generals" for us. Luis could be a good replacement with his considerable experience, and, more importantly, his wonderful talent.

Let's not get into another debate about Luke Shaw, because we've been through that over and over. I just find it funny how Chelsea fans have become Arsenal fans and Arsenal fans have become Chelsea fans.

This is an anti-English club now, no urgence from a fan perspective to replace the english core we've lost. It's so important for the culture, for the top clubs in the country to have representation.

Exactly. When we won the double in 2009/10 and the UCL we had a very experienced core of players. We've lost Lampard, Drogba and Cole in recent years, who were all "generals" for us. Luis could be a good replacement with his considerable experience, and, more importantly, his wonderful talent.

Exactly my thinking. This team that everyone seems to want to play on day one at Burnley has an average age of 25 and a half. 1 player over 30 (Terry 33) and 3 more over 25. (Matic 26, Cahill 28 and Luis 29) The extra experience will be important at the back.

Let's not get into another debate about Luke Shaw, because we've been through that over and over. I just find it funny how Chelsea fans have become Arsenal fans and Arsenal fans have become Chelsea fans.

Really? How so?

This is an anti-English club now,

No it's not.

no urgence from a fan perspective to replace the english core we've lost. It's so important for the culture, for the top clubs in the country to have representation.

And Luke Shaw is that English core? He's the only English player we could possibly sign/produce in the next 5 years? We can't promote young lads?

He's unproven, he's overpriced and he's not as good currently as Luis. Maybe five years down the line we can sign him like we did Ashley but this club is about winning the league next season.

This is an anti-English club now, no urgence from a fan perspective to replace the english core we've lost. It's so important for the culture, for the top clubs in the country to have representation.

I wouldn't go that far. I think most peoples first choice would be Shaw with Cole signing a new short deal to support him. But thats looking less and less likely to happen and I think we should accept that Luis is such a good alternative that he shouldn't really be labelled an alternative.

£30m for a young English left back who's been on the scene for a year and a half and has a hell of a lot to learn vs a £19m Brazilian La Liga winner and Champions League finalist who is the finished article. Can see why Chelsea have picked the latter. And yes, you can argue that Shaw is 12-15 years of potential Chelsea left back, whilst it will cost us more than £11m to sign Luis' replacement in 3/4 years. But who's to say Shaw won't be lured to Spain or Italy or Germany or Qatar in 4 years time? Whos to say he will match his potential? Its a tough choice though, we'll be lucky to have one or the other.

oh-for-fucks-sake-gif-1.gif

The issue is Fullback is the one of , if not the most physically demanding positions on the field and it's an area where age and athleticism matters significantly if a player is to perform to standard on both ends of the pitch. I can't trust a 30 plus year old fullback , for eg, to be bumping up and down the pitch while doing so at an elite level unless the player in question is maldini or Zanetti.

The issue is Fullback is the one of , if not the most physically demanding positions on the field and it's an area where age and athleticism matters significantly if a player is to perform to standard on both ends of the pitch. I can't trust a 30 plus year old fullback , for eg, to be bumping up and down the pitch while doing so at an elite level unless the player in question is maldini or Zanetti.

How about Cafu and Roberto Carlos then?

Ashley had a couple of great years in his 30s. As did Neville. As did Cafu. I think its pretty to naive to cast off any player as soon as they hit 30. In general, footballers are fitter now than theyve ever been.