Filipe Luís

Jase

Filipe is quality. I know he is turning 29 in the summer but if it is true I think he will add much needed quality and probably will do us well for the next 3 years. I would be happy with the move tbh if he serves us well for that period of time. If it is below the £20m mark I would be for it as he is good defensively, excellent offensively and a full back who can deliver brilliant crosses. A player like him would help Hazard and I reckon Filipe is up there with the best LB in Europe right now.

Right now he is better than Shaw. I would like Shaw here but the fee being suggested is putting me off so it is a tough one.

I think he's more than "not bad", but we really need to cosider whether or not we want to invest that kind of money in a 29 year old.

I will be happy if it happens, but I'd be happier with Shaw.

Thought they would've wanted more than that, he's a fantastic player, much better than Shaw is currently and would arguably be a better fit. For £15m he's be a good signing for a few years.

I kind of want Shaw to come here though, he's young, english, a Chelsea fan and actually good. But his main attributes are in how he attacks from fullback, he probably wouldnt thrive under the more defensive roles our fullbacks have. No point signing a wing back, Filipe is good going forward but also can defend and is tall

No point signing a wing back, Filipe is good going forward but also can defend and is tall

"Shaw is only good going forward" is one of the biggest myths out there. He's a really good defender too. He's complete as a full back - can attack very well, defend well, is fast and is tall too.

He'd fit here fine.

"Shaw is only good going forward" is one of the biggest myths out there. He's a really good defender too. He's complete as a full back - can attack very well, defend well, is fast and is tall too.

He'd fit here fine.

I'd prefer Shaw over any other potential LB, but for £15-20m or so. He's gonna be the best lb in the world in about 3 or 4 years.

He'd fit here fine.

i thought shaw was done. moreover dont see how we can top a 30mil, 100kpw and first team offer.

i thought shaw was done. moreover dont see how we can top a 30mil, 100kpw and first team offer.

Shaw isn't done yet no, so personally I'm still labouring hope that we can perhaps drive the price down.

As for our first team? Shaw would (should) walk straight into it. United shouldn't have any leverage in that regard.

Filipe isn't that old, he'll still be playing for around four more years. He'd work well with Courtois, and Costa, if both are brought in come the new season. As much as I'd like us to sign a young LB such as Shaw, I wouldn't mind Chelsea paying 20m for one of the best left-backs in the world. Hopefully he'll play ahead of Marcelo at the World Cup.

Think it is, if not close to it already. He's already 29 years old and arguably only have 3-4 years left at the top level. Already at his peak and will past it soon. Why pay 16.5 million for a LB of his age, however good he is, and then having to spend a similar amount again in a few years time for a new LB? In this case, might as well, just pay the whole 30 million for a 19-year old LB that will serve us for the next 15 years and be done with it once and for all.

I think as long as we can offer Shaw a good chance at first team football and agree a fee with Southampton, he'll choose us over United. He doesn't really strike me as someone who is materialistic and if he can get a chance to join the club he has supported since young, then I'm sure he'll jump at that chance. Doubt he'll concern much about his wages now when sooner or later, he will get a high one should he continue to develop upwardly.

Shaw isn't done yet no, so personally I'm still labouring hope that we can perhaps drive the price down.

As for our first team? Shaw would (should) walk straight into it. United shouldn't have any leverage in that regard.

I think as long as we can offer Shaw a good chance at first team football and agree a fee with Southampton, he'll choose us over United. He doesn't really strike me as someone who is materialistic and if he can get a chance to join the club he has supported since young, then I'm sure he'll jump at that chance. Doubt he'll concern much about his wages now when sooner or later, he will get a high one should he continue to develop upwardly.

lets hope he comes then.

I suspect the Man U offer for Shaw is less than reported in the tabloids. (isn't it always?) I'd say it's probably closer to £21-25m range. I'd personally offer Southampton £20m plus Bertrand and see where we go from there.

I'd much rather him than Filipe Luis.

• 3 weeks later...

Not too sure about this TBH. Would rather spent £30 million on a 19-year old LB who can serve us for the next 15 years rather than £16.5 million on a 29-year old LB who would probably only serve us for 3-4 years at the highest level.

I actually would've agreed with this a few weeks ago, but three years is a long-time. Filipe Luis is a very good player and would be a step up for our (already strong) defence whilst costing half of what Shaw would and probably being on lower wages too. He's much less of a gamble than Shaw, which of cause means the rewards could be lower but so would the risks.

3-4 years also gives us time to develop our own youngsters in that position to be the 'next Luke Shaw' if you will.

Whilst I'd love for us to get Shaw, there's always more than one way to get young English talent in the ranks.