Filipe Luís

Jase

Graham Hunter just now on Talksport..

"This guy is an athletic, strong and very clever footballer. Positionally sound which is why you can see Jose has opted for him, he can also be played on the left side of midfield if needed because of his ability on the ball and how well he gets forward. His relationship with Costa on the field is brilliant and he cause teams all sorts of problems last season because he really isn't frightened to get forward. This time next year you will come back to me and say you are right, because he's that good"

Gosh. Have we actually started forcing our new signings to say they have been supporting Chelsea? Nearly all of our signings these days seem to be saying "I love Chelsea", "My favorite player is Lampard", "I have watched Chelsea a lot" or things along those lines. What they say may be genuine but on the other hand, it kinda feels like WTH!

Gosh. Have we actually started forcing our new signings to say they have been supporting Chelsea? Nearly all of our signings these days seem to be saying "I love Chelsea", "My favorite player is Lampard", "I have watched Chelsea a lot" or things along those lines. What they say may be genuine but on the other hand, it kinda feel like WTH!

Quite possibly. I suspect its the same as Liverpool where every player bangs on about their 'great history' and how amazing those deluded scouse fans are. Personally I'd prefer a bit of honesty.

Anyway, really pleased with Luis, bit disappointed with his age but at least 3 good years in him. Interested to see what this does to Hazard's game.

Rather interested in what he does for the team Hazard can take care of himself moreover costa was brought in to get on the end of things which will be the focus of our team I think, the rest are to create, keep stability and contribute their fair quota of goals. If costa scores as much as he has been scoring the league is totally ours.

I remember the brazilians saying Luis is the worse attacking fullback in the ranks...

Alves, maicon, maxwell, marcelo, danilo, etc.

People can talk about how Eden needs someone to overlap, etc, but if Jose plays luis the same way he plays dave last season, its going to be the same for hazard.

I remember the brazilians saying Luis is the worse attacking fullback in the ranks...

People can talk about how Eden needs someone to overlap, etc, but if Jose plays luis the same way he plays dave last season, its going to be the same for hazard.

This...

Just because he's not a headless chicken like Marcelo who can only attack while neglecting his duties in defense doesn't mean Luis is not good going forward. We all saw at the World Cup how good Brazil's full-backs actually were...

Luis IMO is a complete player, great balance between attack / defense and I consider him to be perfect for Hazard. If we only had a full-back who's a complete liability at the back we could see Hazard's role being even more restricted as last season because he'd have to cover for the LB a lot.

Just because he's not a headless chicken who can only attack while neglecting his duties in defense like Marcelo doesn't mean he's not an attacking full-back. We all saw at the World Cup how good Brazil's full-backs actually were...

Luis IMO is a complete player, great balance between attack / defense and I consider him to be perfect for Hazard. If we only had a full-back who's a complete liability at the back we could see Hazard's role being even more restricted as last season because he'd have to cover for the LB a lot.

That's not the point.

The point is if Jose gives specific directions to luis to play a certain way, than hazard is going to be in the same position/situation as last year. If anything, Dave is a solid all around full back, not a purely defensive one.

When Cole played, he didn't act as 3rd CB like Azpi - who let's not forget, was very limited because of playing on the wrong side.

On the other side Ivanovic got forward every time.

So i believe Luis will be the more attacking fullback, and Azpi will play moderately like Cole did.

Erm if that were the case then why would we spend up to £20m on him when we could have just kept Azpi there?

When Cole played, he didn't act as 3rd CB like Azpi - who let's not forget, was very limited because of playing on the wrong side.

On the other side Ivanovic got forward every time.

So i believe Luis will be the more attacking fullback, and Azpi will play moderately like Cole did.

Hopefully, Mourinho allows the fullbacks to attack much more than last season and hopefully Ivan starts at cb or backup to both cb/rb.

Erm if that were the case then why would we spend up to £20m on him when we could have just kept Azpi there?

Well, who is our 3rd cb? IMO, no way does zouma or omero get that position and ivan or whomever, would be the perfect utility player that chelsea needs for depth.

This is kind of the same reason why I never wanted luke shaw.

Well, who is our 3rd cb? IMO, no way does zouma or omero get that position and ivan or whomever, would be the perfect utility player that chelsea needs for depth. This is kind of the same reason why I never wanted luke shaw.

Ivanovic hopefully, with Azpi starting at RB.

That's not the point.

The point is if Jose gives specific directions to luis to play a certain way, than hazard is going to be in the same position/situation as last year. If anything, Dave is a solid all around full back, not a purely defensive one.

I agree, at the moment there's really no way to know for sure how Jose is going to set up the team. However, a fair assumption can be made that if Mourinho has identified the left-back position to be a problem enough for him to spend a massive amount of money on a player who was arguably the best in the world at his position last season, he would then at least be played in a role best suited to him and that is definitely a more attacking role than we saw Azpilicueta play last season. Azpilicueta, being a right footed player playing on the left, was forced to play a more restricted role while Ivanovic who is most certainly not known for his attacking contributions other than set-pieces was always allowed to bomb forward. I would hazard a guess that now with Luis who's much better offensively than Ivanovic the roles would be reversed.

Hopefully, Mourinho allows the fullbacks to attack much more than last season and hopefully Ivan starts at cb or backup to both cb/rb.

One thing is for sure, Mou cares too much about defense to allow both fullbacks to bomb forward like Alves and Alba.

1 player will be very attacking like Ivanovic last season, and the other will go forward when needed.