AFC Wimbledon 2-3 Chelsea

Jase

Man of the Match  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match? (Starters)

2. 2. Who is your Man of the Match? (Subs)

• Ivanovic
    • Terry
    • Chalobah
    • Da Silva
    • Romeu
    • Brown
    • Beeney
    • Houghton
    • Baker
    • Solanke

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How did Boga play?Somehoe I forgot to watch the game

First half team was bad, but he was the only positive. His control was sure, and always found a way out when he looked to be surrounded.

He also played 2 good passes to Salah and Bamford.

He's Adebayo Akinfenwa. From wikipedia:

Style of play

Akinfenwa weighs around 16 stone and is noted for his above average strength, so much so that in the computer game FIFA 14 he had the highest strength statistic of any player on the game.

Yeah right! :lol:

I still don't think MVG is ready for the first team yet. I would compare him to Baker and say what does he do that is actually better than Baker? They play same position albeit that Baker does more. Creative, two-footed, versatile. Goal threat and good with set peices. John Swift is a better dribbler of the ball than MVG, faster, more stamina, very strong, goal threat and also versatile.

MVG is coming back from an injury but what I have seen of him, he has not shown me is any different from the likes of Mceachran. Nice tidy play, both deep-lying playmakers but not much else to their game. But I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he has not had a full season and he still needs to be observed.

A question how many match have MVG played under the coaching of Jose to his injury I guess it just too little to compare it to those Baker and Swift have he just returning from injury but Jose know what he is doing and what he wants

It's just funny to see people thinking John Swift is any better than MVG let alone "much better" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's just funny to see people thinking John Swift is any better than MVG let alone "much better" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I never said he was better than him. I said he has more to his game. Jeremie Boga has more elements to his game than Oscar. Does that mean I think he currently is better than him? No. It basically means that in the future I reckon these variations to Boga's game will help him excel in hopefully making it here where as Oscar who is a good player but struggles in some areas of the game, I reckon this is a drawback for us at times.

Back to MVG, what I have seen of him I don't think there is much to his game apart from dictating play. I can understand why you think I said it that way but I did not. I simply mean that Swift in the future will be a better option than MVG possibly because he has got more to his game. In simple terms I think Swift and especially Baker have more chance of excelling here because they are not limited. They have got tons of abilities and are versatile.

Believe me I would never say Swift is better than MVG right now if he has only played like 10 or minus in his professional career so far but going forward in the future he might well possibly be. We will just have to see.

I never said he was better than him. I said he has more to his game. Jeremie Boga has more elements to his game than Oscar. Does that mean I think he currently is better than him? No. It basically means that in the future I reckon these variations to Boga's game will help him excel in hopefully making it here where as Oscar who is a good player but struggles in some areas of the game, I reckon this is a drawback for us at times.

Back to MVG, what I have seen of him I don't think there is much to his game apart from dictating play. I can understand why you think I said it that way but I did not. I simply mean that Swift in the future will be a better option than MVG possibly because he has got more to his game. In simple terms I think Swift and especially Baker have more chance of excelling here because they are not limited. They have got tons of abilities and are versatile.

Believe me I would never say Swift is better than MVG right now if he has only played like 10 or minus in his professional career so far but going forward in the future he might well possibly be. We will just have to see.

It's actually the opposite. MVG has got way more to his game than Swift. Baker has more to his game than Swift too but still not at MVG's level.

Swift can't defend. For that reason he is not a CM player of the pivot kind. He has no awareness nor physicality for it.

In the u21, he plays mainly on the Right wing, and as a number 10. The rare instances he played as a CM staying deep or box-box the team was exposed and had no stability.

Perhaps you are enamored by the breakuot season he had last yr. He has developed an eye for goal I'll give him that. But you have to remember that he played mainly upfront not deep like say a RLC or Ake in Midfield, where MVG plays too. And he had like 6 goals total a few yrs before last yr. He was even released at some point!!!

He doesn't even have MVG's passing range or aerial prowess(notice-MVG rarely looses an aerial battle). And his decision making is still poor.

In other words, Swift won't make the first team. Because all the AMs we have are better than him i.e(Hazard,Oscar,Willian,Fabregas,Schurrle,Salah,Bertrand Traore,Atsu,Piazon even the likes of Boga and Baker-if ends up as a 10.) And at CM he is very limited.He doesn't have the positional awareness(to bring balance and stability in Midfield) of the likes of Matic, Romeu,MVG,Chalobah and even Pasalic,RLC or Baker-if he ends up as a CM.

The best I can see Swift do is eke out a career in the lower leagues and improve his decision making enough to became a Lallana kind of AM by his mid-late 20s. As far as his Chelsea career is concerned, the first team ain't gonna happen for him pal.

It's actually the opposite. MVG has got way more to his game than Swift. Baker has more to his game than Swift too but still not at MVG's level.

Swift can't defend. For that reason he is not a CM player of the pivot kind. He has no awareness nor physicality for it.

In the u21, he plays mainly on the Right wing, and as a number 10. The rare instances he played as a CM staying deep or box-box the team was exposed and had no stability.

Perhaps you are enamored by the breakuot season he had last yr. He has developed an eye for goal I'll give him that. But you have to remember that he played mainly upfront not deep like say a RLC or Ake in Midfield, where MVG plays too. And he had like 6 goals total a few yrs before last yr. He was even released at some point!!!

He doesn't even have MVG's passing range or aerial prowess(notice-MVG rarely looses an aerial battle). And his decision making is still poor.

In other words, Swift won't make the first team. Because all the AMs we have are better than him i.e(Hazard,Oscar,Willian,Fabregas,Schurrle,Salah,Bertrand Traore,Atsu,Piazon even the likes of Boga and Baker-if ends up as a 10.) And at CM he is very limited.He doesn't have the positional awareness(to bring balance and stability in Midfield) of the likes of Matic, Romeu,MVG,Chalobah and even Pasalic,RLC or Baker-if he ends up as a CM.

The best I can see Swift do is eke out a career in the lower leagues and improve his decision making enough to became a Lallana kind of AM by his mid-late 20s. As far as his Chelsea career is concerned, the first team ain't gonna happen for him pal.

Swift, like Baker have made massive strides. Before the last couple of seasons Baker struggled to get even 5 goals in the U18 then he just transformed into a quality player and same with Swift. I reckon Swift is underrated. He is a dark horse to make it here but with the right guidance I can see him having a big career in the PL. But I agree about Swift. He cannot be played in a 4-2-3-1 on a regular basis. He is best of in a 4-3-3 as a b-2-b midfielder. Like Ramires. He is best in a trio or as no.10. But a couple years ago I would have laughed if anyone told me Swift and Baker would have made their first team debuts last season. It was a nice gesture for how excellent both Swift and Baker were last season.

With MVG I know he came here as a big prospect but I just see no indications that he is any different from Josh. Looks good in nice tidy passing but long term going forward just think he faces the same situation. There will be better all round players but tbh he has from what I saw last season got an impressive range of passing. If he is able to dictate play more it might just change my opinion but I have been a bit underwhelmed in the 2 friendlies I have seen him in so far. Look how Baker changed the game when he came on today. That is what I want to see from MVG. I know Baker was playing in the no.10 role but even when in CM he makes things happen. I am not sure how realistic it is but I wonder what Jose thinks a loan would do for MVG. Would be nice to see him involved with the first team but I don't want him to stall due to a lack of games.

But that is the stumbling block for Swift as you say. There are better no.10 than him and much better wingers. I rate Swift a lot but out of him and Baker I assume Baker will make it here. I think we will see Swift for a while here though. He will make the odd apperances but I agree with you about his long term future. Baker has a huge chance of making it as a CM (I hope so) and Boga can make it here. He is good enough from LW and the no.10 role. Interesting season for all three. Boga will probably stay here for this season. Baker and Swift may be loaned out at some point as they have played too much reserve games and now need to be exposed to weekly first team football.

Swift, like Baker have made massive strides. Before the last couple of seasons Baker struggled to get even 5 goals in the U18 then he just transformed into a quality player and same with Swift. I reckon Swift is underrated. He is a dark horse to make it here but with the right guidance I can see him having a big career in the PL. But I agree about Swift. He cannot be played in a 4-2-3-1 on a regular basis. He is best of in a 4-3-3 as a b-2-b midfielder. Like Ramires. He is best in a trio or as no.10. But a couple years ago I would have laughed if anyone told me Swift and Baker would have made their first team debuts last season. It was a nice gesture for how excellent both Swift and Baker were last season.

With MVG I know he came here as a big prospect but I just see no indications that he is any different from Josh. Looks good in nice tidy passing but long term going forward just think he faces the same situation. There will be better all round players but tbh he has from what I saw last season got an impressive range of passing. If he is able to dictate play more it might just change my opinion but I have been a bit underwhelmed in the 2 friendlies I have seen him in so far. Look how Baker changed the game when he came on today. That is what I want to see from MVG. I know Baker was playing in the no.10 role but even when in CM he makes things happen. I am not sure how realistic it is but I wonder what Jose thinks a loan would do for MVG. Would be nice to see him involved with the first team but I don't want him to stall due to a lack of games.

But that is the stumbling block for Swift as you say. There are better no.10 than him and much better wingers. I rate Swift a lot but out of him and Baker I assume Baker will make it here. I think we will see Swift for a while here though. He will make the odd apperances but I agree with you about his long term future. Baker has a huge chance of making it as a CM (I hope so) and Boga can make it here. He is good enough from LW and the no.10 role. Interesting season for all three. Boga will probably stay here for this season. Baker and Swift may be loaned out at some point as they have played too much reserve games and now need to be exposed to weekly first team football.

You're expecting the wrong thing from MVG. He isn't much like Baker at all. Baker is a creative CM.

MVG is first and foremost a b2b midfielder that can pretty much do it all - good passing range, good tackler, gets forward well, big engine, defensively sound etc. so you can shoe horn him into almost any midfield position. He's also pretty athletic and nifty for his size. He is a very good talent but people have to be very patient with him, he's just come back from an awful injury and it might take him a season or so to fully regain his confidence and form. If there was one player I could compare him to it probably would be his Dutch compatriot, (a young) Van Bommel, who was also a pretty well rounded, tenacious midfielder (became more of a holding mid towards the end of career though when he lost his legs).

I've never been impressed by van Ginkel to be honest. He doesn't really offer much going forward and we already have Matic who is strong defensively so if we play him we are just losing out a lot on offense.

The comments about Van Ginkel being "nothing special" actually reminds me a lot of the sort of comments people used to say about Frank.

I think people really need to be patient with him, particularly because (like Skipper said) he's returning from an ACL injury and that's not an easy feat. The psychological impact of that kind of injury is no joke. Some athletes never recover. That he breezed through rehab and made a return earlier than expected tells me that he definitely has it in him to be a top player.

Van Ginkel has the potential to start for us. He's a b2b midfielder and is young. He just has to have right mentality and confidence to come back from that injury. He has to not favor one leg, which is common after such an injury.

Matic was sloppy. He had a few games like that towards the end of last season, Palace away when he was really bad sticks out. It's great that he wants to play forward passes but he needs to be more careful with the ball.

Matic was sloppy. He had a few games like that towards the end of last season, Palace away when he was really bad sticks out. It's great that he wants to play forward passes but he needs to be more careful with the ball.

He's not used to bus in Portugal :lol:

Didn't watch the game but how sloppy was he on the ball?