Diego Costa

Spike

If he doesn't get FULLY fit soon and stay that way for the majority of the season then I don't think we can win the league. We can challenge for it of course but not win it.

Remy and Falcao are good enough as fill-ins here and there and as backups but I don't think they're title winning quality as players who have to lead the line every week.

If he doesn't get FULLY fit soon and stay that way for the majority of the season then I don't think we can win the league. We can challenge for it of course but not win it.

Remy and Falcao are good enough as fill-ins here and there and as backups but I don't think they're title winning quality as players who have to lead the line every week.

we shouldn't let one match Remy was bad to shadow how good he was for us last season, against teams all sizes. He has a bad history against Arsenal, it's a bad matchup for him, so as long as Costa can play Arsenal in the league, that wouldn't be a problem.

I do worry about Costa's absence though because even if Remy is good and Falcao will probably improve (right now he's the same as DD for me, and that's after a summer competition, limited rest and a landing in a new team - so whatever much he improves from now on is already an improvement over DD), but Costa is one of the best strikers in the world. He was way off form in preseason, but I trust him to play well in the regular competition. He's probably one of those guys who can't really bring himself to play his best in friendlies because his fuel is competitiveness and hunger to win, things that aren't really at stake for real in friendlies.

we shouldn't let one match Remy was bad to shadow how good he was for us last season, against teams all sizes. He has a bad history against Arsenal, it's a bad matchup for him, so as long as Costa can play Arsenal in the league, that wouldn't be a problem.

I do worry about Costa's absence though because even if Remy is good and Falcao will probably improve (right now he's the same as DD for me, and that's after a summer competition, limited rest and a landing in a new team - so whatever much he improves from now on is already an improvement over DD), but Costa is one of the best strikers in the world. He was way off form in preseason, but I trust him to play well in the regular competition. He's probably one of those guys who can't really bring himself to play his best in friendlies because his fuel is competitiveness and hunger to win, things that aren't really at stake for real in friendlies.

Yeah, I'm not basing that opinion on just this match. I really like Remy and think he'll have a great season with us but he's not that upper echelon striker that will score 20+ for us or anything.

I'll put it this way, Diego has to play AT LEAST as many PL matches as he did last season for us to retain the title in my opinion. If Remy and Falcao have to play a huge number of minutes I'm not sure they're enough.

Diego Costa was not involved today and the manager said he didn’t know if he would be available for the league opener next weekend
‘Two days ago he was ready to play. When I told you two days ago he was ready to play he was ready to play. He trained normally on Friday and yesterday at the end of the training session he said he was not feeling good.

‘But Falcao will have had a bit more football, he will play against Fiorentina from the start. We have Remytoo, so if we don’t have Diego I am happy with the strikers I have.’

Not again... :rant::fainthv9:

Not quite imo. Costa bombed opponents to shreds last year in preseason. Remember his amazing goals like his incredible solo effort against those teams nobody cares about?

other than that I agree. Remy will score when we play ok but what is special about Costa is, he makes goals out of nothing. He creates his own chances (vs Aston Villa )and makes goals from situations that are not even chances (remember that Ramires mishit vs leicester?). Costa has that magic ability to always be there were the goals come. Remy is a good striker, too. He has great pace and is a deadly finisher. He also has more than decent positioning, he usually is there where a striker has to be but there is no way he would find himself in those scoring positions as often as Costa does given the same number of games. Those little details are what seperates a good striker from a great one. Those little details win the league.

I'm probably slightly more optimistic about Remy/Falcao taking us to the title, but I would say that, if nothing else, an extended absence for Costa (touch wood it doesn't happen) would certainly mean more pressure would go onto Hazard to score a large amount of goals.

I'm probably slightly more optimistic about Remy/Falcao taking us to the title, but I would say that, if nothing else, an extended absence for Costa (touch wood it doesn't happen) would certainly mean more pressure would go onto Hazard to score a large amount of goals.

I hope not. His finishing isn't reliable.

José admitting he's concerned about Costa.

I'm very worried myself. It's going to be like the second half of last season where everyone holds their breath each time he plays because we'll be worried about him pulling up with another hamstring injury.

I doubt we'll see him any time soon. If he comes back too soon he'll just re-injure himself within a game or two and be out longer.