Diego Costa

Spike

He was very good in the second half, but

in contrast with the first where he was dire to put it lightly. In the first 20 minutes he seemed to just stand in place. Didn't press or make runs. Weird.

And that's not the first time.

At the beginning of the season he seemed to make a lot more effort off the ball than he does now. He's not as intimidating now.

I don't think it was anythng particular to this game - his defensive workload has decreased a lot this season. It's probably good for him but I really liked watching him press defenders and act as the first line of defence for Atleti. Here though we often see him just press half-heartedly or stand still (City away a prime example) which suggests his relative passivity in defence is a tactical instruction.

He was very good in the second half, but

And that's not the first time.

At the beginning of the season he seemed to make a lot more effort off the ball than he does now. He's not as intimidating now.

I think maybe it is a sign that his fitness levels are still not back to 100% and he is thus asked to save his energy for attack rather than pressing and defense?

I think maybe it is a sign that his fitness levels are still not back to 100% and he is thus asked to save his energy for attack rather than pressing and defense?

I'm not sure about that. Wasn't he playing "slightly injured" from the beginning of the season? I seem to remember Jose saying in November that Costa was fully fit now. If it's true, he was more intimidating when he was injured. :D

I don't know, maybe it's the fatigue, though Costa has played less minutes than most of our first team players this season.

He is a proper striker.

At times he makes even Drogba look like horse shite (that is not meant as an offensive comment, Drogba is my second-favourite Chelsea player of all time and I have his name on more shirts than anyone else) - what I mean by that is his ability to finish, which is the bread and butter of a forward, is better than any other Chelsea striker I've ever seen.

Power, surprising amount of poise, and equal parts precision. The man is a beast and will finish with at least 25 in the league alone this season, possibly pushing 30 in all competitions. It's still a concern (well, sort of) to me that he hasn't scored in Europe yet.

I'm not sure about that. Wasn't he playing "slightly injured" from the beginning of the season? I seem to remember Jose saying in November that Costa was fully fit now. If it's true, he was more intimidating when he was injured. :D

I don't know, maybe it's the fatigue, though Costa has played less minutes than most of our first team players this season.

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. Maybe he was asked to save his energy and work a bit less in games because he kept re-injuring his hamstring. I think what Jose meant back then was that he was no longer feeling pain. Doesn't mean the muscle itself is back to 100% fitness.

At least I hope that is the case, because otherwise that was just lazy work from Diego in the opening 20 minutes yesterday.

I fucking love this guy. Best striker in the league

£30m or w/e it was that we paid was an absolute steal

Load of players started well in BPL, only to fade away aka Benteke, Michu...etc. Wait until next season to fully judge him, for now he looks fantastic.

Was in his car on Kings Road after the game and was approached by a few Chelsea fans shouting Diego Diego at him. He proceeded to wind down his window and join in like an absolute nut case while cars behind him were beeping him to carry on driving. Proper chap.

There's something about this which is just making me crack up :D

I was reading a few pages back and was like wtf, I could have sworn I clicked on the Diego Costa thread not the Torres thread. People in here were bashing Diego ducking Costa!!! Hahaha laughable!

Costa is a fucking machine. I love the geezer more than I love my mum. No joke!