Diego Costa

Spike

Resting him doesn't improve his fitness. If you're preparing to run a marathon in 6 months, do you prepare by running almost everyday, or by resting?

Excellent point - demonstrated by the fact I will mostly be sitting on a bench (chair) and running zero marathons in my foreseeable lifetime :)

That makes no sense, benching him doesn't improve skills it improves his condition, does he look tired? Yes he does so it would improve him, even Mouriniho said he needs to work on his fitness to improve.

Why he looks tired? Only because he didn't score in the last few games? This is called "not in form"...

OMG!!!!!

I can't believe I read in this thread someone saying Torres is better than Costa - no matter what they're referring to.

Some people are just unbelievable.

I stand by my words. Some of you make me embarrassed of being a Chelsea fan.

Not true. Torres is better at unintentionally missing the goal, he's better at miscontroling the ball, he's a lot better at whining to the press...etc.

The goal drought continues...If he doesn't start scoring against in the next couple of games I am slightly concerned. Also resting him doesn't help, he is not a machine who just works at full capacity again after a bit of resting. He is human, he needs momentum and confidence. Only worry thing for me is in the 2nd half of last season he was in this sort of form as well, ended up going periods of matches without scoring compared to the continuous streak in the 1st half.

It is great that we got Drogba and Remy as back up but we need our main man to be hitting it again soon.

Thing with Costa is it's not just goals, he adds more than that. He contributes a lot when he doesn't score, he's a proper team player. I am not one bit concerned by his so called 'Mini Drought' because when he pulls on that shirt, you get one thing, 100% commitment 100% of the time. Mourinho wants team players, he wants people to do donkey work, he wants a work ethic that is across the board. I bet if someone asked Mourinho now if he was concerned by his so called 'lack of goals' he would answer very plain and simple......"No" because his notion is one of, and that he knows Costa is a team player. Now don't get this confused with me saying he shouldn't be scoring goals, he should, I am just putting the point across that while people point the finger to lack of goals, there is also a flip side.

This time last year we had Torres, take a moment to remember that.

BTW, this isn't fifa. Resting players doesn't make them more fit. Costa right now has the same problem Drogba had at the beginning of the season. Drogba improved massively after a run of games and so will Costa.

It's a fine line I think. Momentum and confidence will overcome mental fatigue but rest is required for physical fatigue. It's like NBA where if you play too much you get injuries but if you sit out too long you get a bit rusty even if it's just a few weeks. It looks to me that he has overcome his physical problems so we should play him to form. Whereby the early Diego needed rest for his hamstring problem. Mou clearly believes the players are physically capable and not so willing to rotate in form players like Matic even for a dead rubber game.

Costa may not have scored in the last few matches but I'm not even concerned, not yet anyway I guess. Like I said before, it's normal for strikers to suffer some small goal drought after starting brightly at the start of the season. Besides, we have seen worse goal drought than this with that Flop-res blondie, haven't we? Nothing to panic about, especially when Costa is still at least contributing to the team in other ways.

From yesterday match, what I'm really realized, is that I thought Costa not a 'deadlock breaker' striker. He is more like 'needs to be served' striker. What I mean is that he is struggled to solely create chances to score, he is no Messi or Ronaldo. But if you give him the ball on the right time, he surely would finish it without problem. He is more like a clinical finisher. If we want to see him perform, he needs other players to perform as well. That's why we always see Fabregas or Hazard shone when Costa scored.

But it is exactly what we needs, so I don't see any problem with it.