Diego Costa

Spike

A few quotes, it's a good article interviewing several people around Costa, if anyone picks it up.

By 15, he was training with professionals every day.” But, frustration building, Costa punched an opponent and threatened the referee. His 120- day ban meant he would be suspended when super agent Jorge Mendes was visiting to run the rule over him. “ "Thankfully our appeal was accepted and he could play in the game.” Costa only played a half, but it was more than enough. His personality immediately endeared him to Mendes, who had an agreement with Portuguese club Braga to provide the primeira Liga side with young talent from minor teams."

"There was a load of old guys and this overgrown kid who was fighting everyone. He wasn’t scared of anything – an incredible personality. Technically, he wasn't brilliant; he just needed to understand his body better because he was slightly uncoordinated. But just look at him now. He’s a beast"

“I fought with everyone. I couldn’t control myself. I insulted everyone, I had no respect for the opposition – I thought I had to kill them.Boys who grew in academies are taught to control themselves and respect others, but no one ever told me otherwise. I was used to seeing players elbowing each other in the face and thought it was the norm.”

His influence grew, as did his notoriety. Across a two-week period against Real Betis, he was almost Spain’s most wanted man. In the Copa del Rey in late January 2013, Betis defender Antonio Amaya’s errant back header presented Costa with an open goal. “Thanks for the present,” shouted the devilish Costa, running towards the tunnel, to spark a huge brawl. “Doctor Diego, Mister Costa,” read Marca’s Jekyll and Hyde headline. “If my team-mates had not held me back, I’d have killed him,” hissed Amaya after the game. “That shows what kind of person he is: he has no heart and no shame.”

When the opportunity to join Chelsea arose this summer, Costa nearly refused, as he had done to Liverpool in August 2013. For the first time in his football career, even his life after his cousins’ bullying, he felt at Atletico like he belonged. “I don’t like moving house,” he has said. “I want to feel important.”

AkpmCMU.png

Also apparently Ramos convinced him to play for Spain... Despite how much they usually fight and spit on each other on the pitch.