Diego Costa

Spike

Mourinho just showed how he trusts his new team to get things done.

Costa could play - I have no doubt of that. Mourinho gave us a comprehensive explanation about why he played him in the thrice (Villa, Sporting, Arsenal) in 8 days. Villa was then the best defense in the league - even if they had conceded three against Arsenal the previous game. We needed to make up for the Schalke draw at home and Arsenal - whether they're pathetic and an excuse of a contender - are still one if the big investments (sort of, lol) teams. He needed his match winner in those matches to make sure things would go our way.

So now Mourinho could rest him against Palace because he has faith in his team. Selhurst is a place we not only lost some months ago, but we were outplayed and outsmarted. It was a risk not having Diego even in the bench.

The Maribor match - even if I expect a very low block and ten buses parked - is safer to leave Diego out. Cesc continues to be our best player (imo), Oscar is in a crescendo and in very good form and Hazard can win any match, at any given moment. Taking a couple of risks will give Diego the two-week rest he deserves and needs. Actually if we were playing anyone but United next Sunday, I bet he wouldn't play even then...

But my main point is just how he trusts this team now to get things done without its main scorer in a tricky away trip.

Mourinho just showed how he trusts his new team to get things done.

Costa could play - I have no doubt of that. Mourinho gave us a comprehensive explanation about why he played him in the thrice (Villa, Sporting, Arsenal) in 8 days. Villa was then the best defense in the league - even if they had conceded three against Arsenal the previous game. We needed to make up for the Schalke draw at home and Arsenal - whether they're pathetic and an excuse of a contender - are still one if the big investments (sort of, lol) teams. He needed his match winner in those matches to make sure things would go our way.

So now Mourinho could rest him against Palace because he has faith in his team. Selhurst is a place we not only lost some months ago, but we were outplayed and outsmarted. It was a risk not having Diego even in the bench.

The Maribor match - even if I expect a very low block and ten buses parked - is safer to leave Diego out. Cesc continues to be our best player (imo), Oscar is in a crescendo and in very good form and Hazard can win any match, at any given moment. Taking a couple of risks will give Diego the two-week rest he deserves and needs. Actually if we were playing anyone but United next Sunday, I bet he wouldn't play even then...

But my main point is just how he trusts this team now to get things done without its main scorer in a tricky away trip.

That being said, oddly enough the lesser sides were the ones who gave us trouble last season. Maybe we should save Costa for those fixtures? :D

That being said, oddly enough the lesser sides were the ones who gave us trouble last season. Maybe we should save Costa for those fixtures? :D

but that's the point.

The team's changed. Now Mourinho trusts his team to win those matches... and we did, convincingly even. If not for that soft tackle by Luís, it'd be 2x0, easy match, comfortable win and off to UCL. Even with the goal, it was all those things. We were never seriously threatened except when our defenders made individual mistakes. And Cahill and Courtois did them, it's just that Luis was more unlucky and his actually cost a goal. The players were tired, they were mistake prone and in addition to that they controlled possession without threatening Speroni much because they were tired. It was a very nice win imo, last season we would have struggled and chances are we wouldn't have won.

There is no way Costa will not play the United game if he sits out against Maribor. I think Jose is already starting the mind games.

By the time going, it convince and convince me more, Jose "playing tricks" with this Costa injury, it seems the goal is to make every next opponent manager confused.

But don't get me wrong, I think Costa really has a problem with his hamstring, but not a serious one yet. I believe with medical it requires a whole 2 or 3 weeks to completely recovered. We just couldn't do that at the moment, with games every 3 days.

But the point is, actually Costa more than capable to play at the moment, including against Palace, if Jose want to, in my opinion. Against Palace, I think everybody will expect Costa to play, regardless whatever Jose said in pre-match conference. But then, bingo, Remy played. Jose has just found the new trick for his mind games this season.

Well, it is quite obvious, but still if even we, who follow every Chelsea news confused that will Jose play Costa in every next match, imagine how confused our next opponent manager is.

My bet is that Costa will start against Maribor at Tuesday, to complete the trick for MU game, he will say something like the match is too important to lose, and then said Costa will not be available against MU, and so on.

Leave him for tomorrow, ready and raring for Sunday please.

From Tuesday to Sunday is quite a long time for recovery, and I think it is enough. What I mean is of course he will play at MU match, whether as a starter or as a sub, regardless Costa involvement in Maribor game.

Costa did not train with the team today. I guess that confirms he won't be picked for the Maribor game.

It seems like that, but I won't believe it yet until I see the starting line up. As I could remember he has barely even train too before Villa match.

Edit : Just read the full news, he is really injured. Sorry, my bad. I am not expecting his injury really that bad after Luxembourg game. Curse Del Bosque.

I watched both Spain games and saw no signs of injury. Costa himself said he has no problems. I sincerely believe this is a case of Jose giving Costa a week off with two relatively easy fixtures and keeping him sharp for Man United. Methinks this is Jose at his Machiavellian best and he is over-playing the situation to catch United cold. He didn't seem to arsed about Remy's injury so I'm sure he's hiding something. I expect Costa to play and start 90% vs Man United.

Agree, I smell something fishy here. But I like it, it will make LVG confused.