Diego Costa

Spike

That was a horror challenge.

And it goes to show just how precarious our situation is: we are one bad challenge away from Torres playing significant minutes.

Agreed, we need to get someone else in, only issue is will they sign knowing they will be number 2 unless they massively exceed expectations or Diego had a massive dip.

I still wish we kept Eto'o, but that's for another argument.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2720859/Diego-Costa-Jose-Mourinho-s-battering-ram-Chelsea-season-growing-playing-alcohol-fuelled-football-streets-Brazil.html

Great article.

Mel and Mendilibar are in no doubt that he will succeed in west London. ‘Chelsea fans shouldn’t worry too much about what they saw from him at the World Cup,’ said Mel. ‘Playing for Spain is very different to playing for Atletico Madrid where he was superb all season. And Atletico Madrid are lot closer to Chelsea in style of play.

‘Costa will suit Chelesa and he’ll suit the Premier League too. He’ll find space in behind teams and he’ll thrive on the service from Cesc Fabregas and Eden Hazard and Oscar. He has the temperament to handle the Premier League and he knows how to look after himself.’

That ability to run in behind people might even give him something even Drogba did not have. Mendilibar said: ‘He’s a different player to Drogba. He’s quicker and that means he is better at running in behind teams.’

He may lack Drogba’s strength in the air but Mel said: ‘Maybe he doesn’t get on the end of every cross the way that someone like Radamel Falcao does but he is very clever in the way he makes space for himself, uses his body,’ he said.

Both men agree the temperament will not be a problem. ‘Of course he has that little bit of nastiness that all strikers need and it is important that he doesn’t lose that because it is a big part of his game. But he’s clever with it,’ said Mendilibar.

Mel believes the spell in the Spanish second division where ‘there is a red card every other game’ helped him learn how to keep his head. But his run-ins with Sergio Ramos and Pepe made the Madrid derby a heated affair. And it is clear Costa has not totally given up on the dark arts.

‘There are some things you should not do in a game,’ he said. ‘But there are other things that are normal when you consider how much is at stake in a big match.’ His new boss would not want it any other way.

Hopefully, we'll meet Real Madrid in the CL, it would be such a magnificient fixture with Costa history with Ramos/Pepe, José/Real and Ancelotti with us.

Bony will be a great second choice to Costa. We should have got him before he joined swansea when we had the clear advantage.

I doubt we rate him that high, maybe some people will call for his head and said something he is not Chelsea material at this moment, if we have signed him last season. He needs to play regularly.

So far what i've seen from him in pre-season I like what he adds to our team. He is strong mentally with the determination, confidence and natural goal scoring ability we have missed since Drogba left us.

With Costa and Drogba at their full match fit readiness I think we have a good pair upfront. Torres is always going to be the weak link but I think his better position is on the flanks. So i say Schurrle should be the 3rd striker.

We need another striker. Costa wont have energy to do it for whole season ffs. If he will play all the time he will get injured or tired in key part of season.

Right now, and away from Costa, it looks like CFC are putting all their eggs in the Drogba and Torres basket.

:rant:

Right now, and away from Costa, it looks like CFC are putting all their eggs in the Drogba and Torres basket.

:rant:

When Costa rests, I cant imagine Drogba leading our line for 3 straight games or so, he probably cant run all the time while Torres is Torres. Shit.