Diego Costa

Spike

Really odd reporting here in the States. During ESPN's coverage of Brazil's 3-1 WC win, the ticker at the bottom of the screen kept scrolling, "Chelsea follows last week's signing of Diego Costa with today's signing of Cesc Fabregas...."

Is it official and just not announced?

:dunno:

It seems like everything is set in place, except maybe the club is waiting until after the World Cup to announce it. I know people are excited at the thought of finally having a top striker and are a bit impatient, but it's a smart move by the club. God forbid something happens to him during the tournament after we've already announced the deal- then we're the ones looking like idiots

It seems like everything is set in place, except maybe the club is waiting until after the World Cup to announce it. I know people are excited at the thought of finally having a top striker and are a bit impatient, but it's a smart move by the club. God forbid something happens to him during the tournament after we've already announced the deal- then we're the ones looking like idiots

Probably, the most sensible reason behind it.

surely if that was the case we would delay all signings in case of injury but the cesc deal has already happened. I think it will be announced shortly after Spain 1st game. Think chels are just spreading out the joy.

Chelsea will announce the signings of Diego Costa and Filipe Luis within the next week. [Daily Star]

Cesar Azpilicueta says the extra competition for starting spots at Chelsea next season would be welcomed if Diego Costa and Filipe Luis both join from Atletico Madrid.

http://www.espnfc.com/story/1872805/chelsea-full-back-cesar-azpilicueta-welcomes-diego-costa-filipe-luis-transfer-talk

Done deals I know of this summer are Shaw/United and Costa/Fabregas/Chelsea. Everything else remains very much open.

Costa deal is much more complicated because Jose wants Luis & Tiago included.

Tiago is irrelevant as hes out of contract with Atletico. If the buyout clause has been met and the medical showed up fine, the only hold up will be us announcing it.

Tiago is irrelevant as hes out of contract with Atletico. If the buyout clause has been met and the medical showed up fine, the only hold up will be us announcing it.

if Atletico demand the release clause without agreeing any sort of deal with us, we will have to pay extra taxes.

What's the story this the release clause and the taxes?

In Spain, release clauses are activated by the players only. Since the players don't have millions of pounds lying around, it's usually the clubs who pay for them by lending them the money. When foreign clubs are involved, the money they lend to the players is taxed because it's from outside the country. I believe the usual practice is that the two clubs just settle (by not activating the clause but still agreeing to a figure close to the clause amount), but Atletico don't seem so keen. They are probably hoping to get a few more millions out of us by agreeing to not use the release clause (thus, saving us the tax money)

What's the story this the release clause and the taxes?

Its something like if you agree to pay the release clause of the player, you agree to pay an extra 30(ish?)% fee in taxes. If you pay a pound under that clause, you pay jack shit. So in this case, you'd be looking at another £10m. Its very very rare that release clauses are met.

Its something like if you agree to pay the release clause of the player, you agree to pay an extra 30(ish?)% fee in taxes. If you pay a pound under that clause, you pay jack shit. So in this case, you'd be looking at another £10m. Its very very rare that release clauses are met.

That is an incredibly dumb rule that FIFA shouldn't allow and i'm not sure why any elite players would want to play in that league of release clauses are unrealistic to meet.

That is an incredibly dumb rule that FIFA shouldn't allow and i'm not sure why any elite players would want to play in that league of release clauses are unrealistic to meet.

it has nothing to do with FIFA but with tax rules in the coutnry. and Fifa has no right to intervene in politics of a country. Also its the fault of an agent, if he accepts a release clause in that extent.

Yeah cause the alternative is so much better, right? No, the alternative is no release clause and putting all your faith into your club wanting to release you, surely it's then better to at least have some release clause in there and at worst have the player trigger it (like Bayern did with Martinez). and as Toli said, it has nothing to do with Fifa.

Note that this mandatory release clause in La Liga, doesn't mean there can't also be a traditional one in there as we know from Premier League were the clubs are forced to accept the offer... Which Liverpool showed didn't mean much with Suarez too though.