test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DavidEU

19. Diego Costa

Started by DavidEU,

8,472 posts in this topic

We saw a few things today that strongly indicate where our weaknesses lie. 

Our midfield can not have Matic AND Kante (yes, it has taken us to being close to the title, but I think Chelsea has ambitions outside of the PL as well) in it, we need someone who is either far more dynamic than Matic, or on a similar level but a better passer.

I honestly think we are better off playing Hazard as a false 9 than Costa up front. We cant afford having a big oaf than is neither fast nor technical as our main goal threat in the first place, and then when you consider that we play very counter-attacking football, then you will lose so much momentum if Costa gets the ball as he is a poor passer as well. He simply does not fit, he is above average as a striker, but he lacks star quality. Morata would be a better link-up player, while Lukaku would offer more pace. Belotti is a mix of those two in my opinion, with Costa's off the ball movement (which I feel is not even close to being enough to justify his presence).

Lastly, without Moses AND Alonso, our wing back system fails. Azpili or Zouma are not even close to being properly equipped for their role. 

I think our team will achieve great things, it really has the spine for it. However, it does need some smart purchases in the summer. One of the three forwards mentioned, a CM like Bakayoko/Fabinho/Nainggolan etc, a wingback like Sandro/Semedo/Mendy etc are huge priorities. I also think we need a new RW. Pedro is a great player, I have grown to like him a lot, but I dont see him as being well suited to deep defenses outside of long shots. 

Leif likes this

1 hour ago, MrExcalibur100 said:

I still don't think a strikerless formation is the best way to go. It has its problems and can be easily negated when we play away from home. Hazard isn't comfortable playing as a false 9.  Batshuayi has to start but he's now one of the new untouchables (literally) under Conte, so he won't. 

Better strikeless formation than striker less on the pitch.

2 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

I hope guys with comments like you take this as a bit of a joke. 

Or you are being that type of person who when someone does well, you lick their ass and when they do bad, you talk all possible shit about him. 

If Costa isnt happy here, sure sell him. But saying he should be sold because he is crap is arguably one of most idiotic things you can read here. Much like everyone was liking Mou ass when he was here (except towards the end when we had crap results), when chelsea played bunker for ages and people loved it, now suddenly he is at united and the SAME people talk shit about him for same things they praised him when he was a blue. Ridiculous thinking.

The bottom line, people on this forum, sorry including some mods love the players and managers when we win things. The moment we dont or when they play bad, you throw absolutely everything at them. Where is respect? Where is sense of adulthood where nothing is as black and white as people make it seem here? 

Hazard played bad, but he was "marked'. Costa played bad because he is shit? Wait, he is marked with two players every game. Sure he fucks up some actions, but makes up with freekicks etc. He is in shit form, but if teams sold players based on two shit months, lol that would be funny. 

SAME was said about Eden last year. Yet people never learn. I would expect kids to talk shit in this thread, but not adults. Because everyone who watches football for longer time and in this case is true chelsea fan, will not want Diego out after two shit months. Period. Never mind talk all kind of crap after all the games Diego won us. You guys are sometimes unbelievable. 

I would love to see comments if Diego stays and goes back to his best next season. Im sure same people who today forget what Diego did for us, will forget they talked shit about him. I would copypaste the damn thread and show it everytime that same person would start licking their ass after all the insults this season. 

If you think people want Costa gone because he's playing poorly or of his recent form, then clearly you haven't been following the Costa discussion much. If you go through the last couple of pages or read some of the post-match comments, you would see why people are calling for Costa to be sold.

And for the record, I don't go pro-player X when he plays well and anti-player X when he doesn't play well, certainly not in the wrong way. I'll praise and criticize them when it's due.

Wonder whether Conte or someone in that dressing room (e.g. Terry) has spoken with Costa over his recent form? Surely someone has to get his head straight for the run-in? We can't keep on playing with '10 men' on the pitch whenever he's in the starting XI. We not only need his goals but we also need performances from him, like the ones in the first half of the season, when he was almost unplayable.

kellzfresh likes this

3 hours ago, Jason said:

If you think people want Costa gone because he's playing poorly or of his recent form, then clearly you haven't been following the Costa discussion much. If you go through the last couple of pages or read some of the post-match comments, you would see why people are calling for Costa to be sold.

And for the record, I don't go pro-player X when he plays well and anti-player X when he doesn't play well, certainly not in the wrong way. I'll praise and criticize them when it's due.

Offcourse I read the thread? Every second comment including yours is that he is (in other words) shit and people want him out.

You called him worse than Torres and I believe you want him out too, or am I wrong. Thats literaly saying he is shit and thats why you want him out. 

Please dont say its because his attitude, his ball skills. They were the same always. The only difference is he scored goals and now he is not. Most of people were praising him even tho they knew who he is back in december. There were maybe two or three that wanted him out because we need to look longterm. Now you have a bunch of people who want him out.

The difference? He is in poor form. 

People want Costa out because he has been poor for past few weeks. And they believe he is poor because china messed his head. So that is reasonable excuse for talking shit of him? I can create a story about Azpi that he wants to join friend Cech at Arsenal, completely made up story, but if every media started reporting it, I bet my ass people here would be calling him out.

Funny we have a bunch of people who know Costa so well personaly, because surely people dont say that based on what media says these days, right? 

Just saying last year Eden was poor, there were dozen of pages calling him rat, wanting him out because he was "shit". Because media said so. Same is going with Costa. He always performed worse in second half of season. I remember under Mou title season, we were barely grinding those games mostly because of Eden. Costa wasnt that great either as he was in first half. Like this season. 

Yet, it took half of season and Costa like two years ago, he brought us so many points this year that we are on verge of another title. You can say it is team work and it is, but you are kidding yourself if you dont admit it was Costa who was by a mile the best player till january.

I dont say you are pro good players and anti bad form players, but in this case Torres comparisson was certainly rubbish and you just went "wrong way". 

Unless like I said if you were joking. Because saying Costa is worse than Torres with a serious face, man thats just retarded.

I had similar discussion with Special Juan last year about Hazard and I dont want to continue this discussion, because I have nothing against you, but defending Costa on this thread against 15 members trashing him daily because of china move and bad form, its pointless. People just never learn.

19 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

Offcourse I read the thread? Every second comment including yours is that he is (in other words) shit and people want him out.

You called him worse than Torres and I believe you want him out too, or am I wrong. Thats literaly saying he is shit and thats why you want him out. 

Please dont say its because his attitude, his ball skills. They were the same always. The only difference is he scored goals and now he is not. Most of people were praising him even tho they knew who he is back in december. There were maybe two or three that wanted him out because we need to look longterm. Now you have a bunch of people who want him out.

The difference? He is in poor form. 

People want Costa out because he has been poor for past few weeks. And they believe he is poor because china messed his head. So that is reasonable excuse for talking shit of him? I can create a story about Azpi that he wants to join friend Cech at Arsenal, completely made up story, but if every media started reporting it, I bet my ass people here would be calling him out.

Funny we have a bunch of people who know Costa so well personaly, because surely people dont say that based on what media says these days, right? 

Just saying last year Eden was poor, there were dozen of pages calling him rat, wanting him out because he was "shit". Because media said so. Same is going with Costa. He always performed worse in second half of season. I remember under Mou title season, we were barely grinding those games mostly because of Eden. Costa wasnt that great either as he was in first half. Like this season. 

Yet, it took half of season and Costa like two years ago, he brought us so many points this year that we are on verge of another title. You can say it is team work and it is, but you are kidding yourself if you dont admit it was Costa who was by a mile the best player till january.

I dont say you are pro good players and anti bad form players, but in this case Torres comparisson was certainly rubbish and you just went "wrong way". 

Unless like I said if you were joking. Because saying Costa is worse than Torres with a serious face, man thats just retarded.

I had similar discussion with Special Juan last year about Hazard and I dont want to continue this discussion, because I have nothing against you, but defending Costa on this thread against 15 members trashing him daily because of china move and bad form, its pointless. People just never learn.

He brought us many points. Another decent striker doing his job would have brought us more points. This isn't poor form. Poor form is missing sitters. He isn't contributing at all and is a negative on the field. He is just a really streaky player. How can you defend this guy who is fighting invisible demons on the field every game ? Against City Hazard was one on one with Stones when Diego made a foul on fernando way off the ball and the referee blew his whistle stopping the play. He has himself said that he was pushing really hard for a move to Atletico. And then after January his season has fallen apart but we're to believe from you that the rumours are all crap. Believe what you will, but stop acting as if you know anything more than anyone else.

He brought us many points. Another decent striker doing his job would have brought us more points. This isn't poor form. Poor form is missing sitters. He isn't contributing at all and is a negative on the field. He is just a really streaky player. How can you defend this guy who is fighting invisible demons on the field every game ? Against City Hazard was one on one with Stones when Diego made a foul on fernando way off the ball and the referee blew his whistle stopping the play. He has himself said that he was pushing really hard for a move to Atletico. And then after January his season has fallen apart but we're to believe from you that the rumours are all crap. Believe what you will, but stop acting as if you know anything more than anyone else.

He is currently contributing in breaking down almost ever attack that he's been involved in for a number of weeks. I honestly can't understand what's happening with him.

This form wouldn't interest any side
kellzfresh likes this

51 minutes ago, nono said:

In one of my previous posts I said that if he wants to leave, then so be it. Like you I dont know what is going behind the scenes. Im not saying he is happy here or china offer never came etc. 

He is that type of player that goes missing in second half. That doesnt mean its ok to play bad tho. He is just as gulity for poor games and deserves the criticism, I never said he doesnt. 

What goes on my nerves is people without any proof already throwing him to the gallows. And want him sold after two bad months. And if he stays, same people will praise him when he does well again. Thats all. 

How does he not contribute to the game tho? Against bournemouth he was involved in two goals still. As for pre january form, who would give us more points? Costa wasnt just decent, but world class till january. Only other two strikers Suarez and Lewa were as good.

There were people saying constructive critics that he should be sold because long term it could be better for us. But then you have 2 pages per day of rubbish comments talking of Costa like he NEVER played good for us, treating him like garbage. That shit gets on my nerves. Onform he was best possible striker we could have for three years now. Yet people see only negative stuff. 

Horrific. If we blow the title race my fattest finger will be pointed at him with my pinky pointed at Conte for ALWAYS starting and never subbing this car crash of a player. Not only useless, but a hindrance, drags the team down with him.

kellzfresh likes this

You can't score 14 goals in the first half of the season and suddenly go toothless in the second half of the season. 

The only thing he's doing now is picking fights with other players, getting fouled deliberately to fuck the opposition over with a booking, falling on his fat arse every time and breaking down every attack. 

From hero to zero. Get him out ASAP. 

kellzfresh likes this

2 hours ago, Beigl said:
Diego Costa lost the ball 23 times today vs Man Utd

6 misplaced passes
6 unsuccessful touches
10 dispossessed 
1 offside

Also, don't forget that he wins a header maybe once a month at most because he is incredibly weak.

I will never understand how you can be an attacking player yet be so fucking useless with the ball. It's mind blowing. Even smaller teams look for forwards with some semblance of technical skill.

MrExcalibur100 and Beigl like this

4 hours ago, Beigl said:

6 misplaced passes
6 unsuccessful touches
10 dispossessed 
1 offside

Some people think there is an agenda against Costa but the numbers show just how bad he's been. WhoScored say Costa is the first player to have been dispossessed 10 times in a game this season.

4 hours ago, Beigl said:

6 misplaced passes
6 unsuccessful touches
10 dispossessed 
1 offside

He is not good at counter-attacks with his shit decisions and passes, above stats prove he is hopeless at keeping possession. What is his function exactly when not scoring? To jog around when their defence have the ball and not do anything else? So far he's had a full shit season (15/16), a great half a season and a horrible 2nd half of a season. 5-6 months of good form versus 13-14 months of incompetence. I was an avid Costa defender before now but his recent slump has taken too long to the point it's endangering our standing. A truly world class striker shows flashes of his quality even when down and contributes in some ways, you watch and you feel he's gonna return to his true level. With Costa now, I have a feeling that even if he returns to his purple patch some day it's not gonna last long and we will have to carry him the rest of the time. When he's out of form you realize how horrible footballer he is, when he's in form you see he can be a deadly striker.

Also, don't forget that he wins a header maybe once a month at most because he is incredibly weak.

Oh yes, that is one of the thing that infuriates me the most about Diego.
I will never get how a striker that is supposed to be atleast decent at heading can be this weak in the air. I'm willing to bet that Pedro won more aerial duels than Costa this season. And Matic for that matter.
Styles and Irakozium257 like this

Costa must be REALLY (REALLY) popular and influential in the dressing-room, because I really can't see any other reason for why he hasn't been dropped at this point. I mean, I could understand Conte's handling of this issue if Costa had shown him loyalty and an exemplary overall attitude during their time together, but he hasn't; all indications are that he DID actually make some sort of a push for a move in January, and that this came after he had ALREADY done something similar in the summer.

They guy clearly isn't committed to this club, and he's an absolutely awful (close to genuinely useless) player when off-form, so drop him and sell him. Play a front 3 of Hazard-Pedro-Willian for the remainder of the season to try to get us over the line, and then get a long-term replacement at CF. If it's possible (and it may well not be), I'd get Alexis Sanchez, and have us roll with a front 3 of Hazard-Sanchez-Pedro/Willian next season.

It's really saddening that it's come (back) to this, as I had (like just about everyone) been very impressed with him over the first half of the season. I had hoped that he might finally have settled into life at Chelsea, but it seems not.  

Irakozium257 likes this

Sometimes i don't see why we have to debate on a topic like this. All you have to ask yourself is can chelsea do better in getting a striker. The answer is YES.

Are you confident in taking a chance with another striker over keeping costa. The answer is yet again YES.

Are you confident in taking a chance playing without a striker(Pedro Hazard Willian) over playing costa. .............YES  This is just until the season is over.