Diego Costa

Spike

Or maybe he just needs to be part of a more pro-active team who actually create chances for him?

I'm not talking about chances and finishing. He couldn't get into the game at all today ... kept giving the ball away with awful heavy touches and miscontrols. The best thing I remember him doing is that long pass to Hazard with the outside of his right foot in the second half.

I'm not talking about chances and finishing. He couldn't get into the game at all today ... kept giving the ball away with awful heavy touches and miscontrols. The best thing I remember him doing is that long pass to Hazard with the outside of his right foot in the second half.

He's being tightly marked by one player and there is always another one covering nearby. Close control has never been his forte and the tactics we play expose his deficiencies and highlight none of his actual quality. We essentially reduced one of the best strikers in the world to playing as a DM; we created nothing for him, left him isolated a lot and then complain about his lack of close control.

I'm sorry but if his link up and old up play will continue to be that awful, then he has no place in the UCL team. If he's not scoring he's completely useless 85% of the time, the other 15% are when he's having a good game overall. It still baffles me how inept he is at winning headers for someone that big. I will definitely start remy in the return leg at home.

He's being tightly marked by one player and there is always another one covering nearby. Close control has never been his forte and the tactics we play expose his deficiencies and highlight none of his actual quality. We essentially reduced one of the best strikers in the world to playing as a DM; we created nothing for him, left him isolated a lot and then complain about his lack of close control.

Failing so consistently to control the ball in the most basic of situations deserves to be moaned about, one of the best strikers in the world or not. He'll always get close attention, it's up to him to better himself so him and us can benefit more.

The scary thing is I can really see him getting frustrated by this state eventually and does something extremely stupid and get a sending off+ long ban. He is not like Torres, he is more like Suarez who will be doing stupid things when he is pushed to the limit of frustration.

Failing to control the ball in the most basic of situations deserves to be moaned about, one of the best strikers in the world or not. He'll always get close attention, it's up to him to better himself so him and us can benefit more.

Trust me, I'm not making any excuses for him. He makes some basic mistakes at times which is very frustrating but then again I'm sure he's equally frustrated playing in a team that completely abandons the attacking side of the game against every half-decent team they play against.

This is not even about close control or technical ability per se (although it's a part of it). It's his inability to use his body to shield the ball and bring others into play. Look at Giroud for example, he's no where near the likes of Suarez,Aguero et al in terms of technique and despite that he maintains a consistently good all round play.

To be honest I'm concerned about his record in big games. His UCL record for us is poor at best.

imo Cavani and Ibra are both better players.

It isn't in big games that Chelsea struggle. We can't beat the small fry, and I'm happy for him to score 30 goals a season even if its "only" against the Leicesters and Burnleys of this world. Let the other players do their thing in the big games.

It was stupid for Mourinho to play him tonight consider a; we were playing on the counter and b; he hasn't kicked a football competitively in weeks.

It isn't in big games that Chelsea struggle. We can't beat the small fry, and I'm happy for him to score 30 goals a season even if its "only" against the Leicesters and Burnleys of this world. Let the other players do their thing in the big games.

It was stupid for Mourinho to play him tonight consider a; we were playing on the counter and b; he hasn't kicked a football competitively in weeks.

Stupid in hindsight, but it was a gamble nonetheless..and I believe he mentioned this before the game.

There are quite a few weeks until the next leg, for the non-performers of this one to pick up their form.

It's his inability to use his body to shield the ball and bring others into play.

If he is unable to use his body to shield his ball then why are young players studying him on that exact thing (shielding the ball with your body)? In an interview our own Patrick Bamford was saying that he, along with his coaches in Middlesborough, are studying how Diego uses his body to shield the ball.