test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DavidEU

19. Diego Costa

Started by DavidEU,

8,332 posts in this topic

I love the lad dearly but some stuff he does makes me want to throttle him. Very similar to how Drogs made me feel.

But he was half a secind and half a yard short last night.

I think bith him and Eden would come on stronger with a Sanchez.Lukaku next to them all free and roaming around unable to be marked and I hope thats what we end up doing. They both need balls given them.

19 hours ago, King11Didier said:

Hope he can overcome this poor form, because the most importang stage of the season is coming and we need him and his goals.

I can barely watch the remainder of this season because of Diego and even though I feel like we can win the title, there's been no doubt in my mind since the match against Tottenham last fall (when the pundits on TV were calling Diego the better striker compared to Harry), one particular striker has shown why he's the best striker in the league and the other has fallen into old patterns and scored much less (putting December aside in Diego's case).

Tottenham have the better scorers in Kane and Alli, so we know there's a possibility that this title challenge could fall apart for us down the stretch. However, I think Diego would change his behavior for a few matches if the gap between 1st and 2nd narrows. I can -almost- trust Diego for that.

7 minutes ago, quickpassnmove said:

I can barely watch the remainder of this season because of Diego and even though I feel like we can win the title, there's been no doubt in my mind since the match against Tottenham last fall (when the pundits on TV were calling Diego the better striker compared to Harry), one particular striker has shown why he's the best striker in the league and the other has fallen into old patterns and scored much less (putting December aside in Diego's case).

Tottenham have the better scorers in Kane and Alli, so we know there's a possibility that this title challenge could fall apart for us down the stretch. However, I think Diego would change his behavior for a few matches if the gap between 1st and 2nd narrows. I can -almost- trust Diego for that.

Oh, please. I heard and read that same nonsense in 14/15. The title is in the bag. They're not giving it away at this point, with a ten point lead.

The question is whether Chelsea can make it a Double and turn 2017 into one of the most succesful years in club history.

The Skipper likes this

I would love to see Lukaku come back and succeed here but I doubt he is the type of striker that Conte wants in his first 11s. He'll probably want Morata, Belotti or someone similar to them.

It's sad I have to watch Diego every weekend. I really can't tell who's worst between him, Torres and Sheva from Chelsea time.

1 hour ago, zekinjo said:

It's sad I have to watch Diego every weekend. I really can't tell who's worst between him, Torres and Sheva from Chelsea time.

I know he hasn't been good but that's stretching it. For all his bad overall play, Diego has one of the best if not the best goal scoring ratios in Chelsea. Can't say the same about the other two, especially Torres who was useless all around.

MefiX19, kellzfresh and The Skipper like this

Can't understand what's all the fuss about, and I really don't see a point comparing goal records with the likes of Lukaku and Kane (a discussion that went on here a few pages ago). You need to understand that it's very different playing for Everton or Spurs compared to being the leading striker of a team like Chelsea. So maybe Costa isn't playing like Sanchez or Kane, but if he scores 20 goals or so in a season and it helps us to a title (which we already know is sufficient) then I don't care if he is not in the top five of the leading goalscorers in the league.

Don't know how about you, but I've been craving for such a consistent striker after the downfall of Drogba which was not long after the Double. I think we need to be very happy that we have him and we shouldn't look at the neighbour's lawn and wonder if it is indeed greener. He is playing like a non league striker for the last 3 months and we still have a 10 points lead and we are in the semi final of the FA cup. I really can't see how people compare him with Torres or Shevchenko. 

I would love to have someone like Aguero/Sanchez/Lewa up front instead of him but I really can't see it happening any time soon. For now, I am actually pretty OK with having him as our leading striker, but I do agree he is not good enough for us to become world beaters. Anyhow, I will love having a season like this one every term, even if we are not THE best. 

1 hour ago, zekinjo said:

What...? At the very least Diego Costa is still scoring and doesn't allow his drought to grow to hours and counting. He is in horrible form but still scores quite regularly and we can look forward to him getting into form. While with Nando and Sheva there was little to no hope. 

Nonetheless, Diego should really start hitting some form, come on, he's at his peak and doesn't have health issues, has proper rest so what's the hold up? 

the wes, DYC. and kellzfresh like this

I don't think that Costa is a really good striker for our club. In football nowadays you can't just have a strong finisher only with no other qualities, no good passing, skill, speed etc. We need more of a Aubameyang and Griezmann type of player.

6 hours ago, zekinjo said:

Torres? He's worse than Hitler! :P

No seriously, come on... 

7 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

Torres? He's worse than Hitler! :P

No seriously, come on... 

General all-round play and ability, Costa is just as bad (if not worse) than Torres and Sheva were at Chelsea.

He is responsible for so many turnovers and moves breaking down that you wonder how much better we'd be if we had a competent footballer in his place.

Torres, at his worst, passed the ball better & ran a whole lot more than Costa. At his worst, his dribbling ability wasn't any worse than Costa's. At his worst, he'd keep the ball in his feet roughly the same length as Costa (not a good thing; Torres learned to shoot quicker again in the end, though.) This is comparing Torres at his worst with Costa at his best.

The only thing Torres at his worst, didn't have which Costa does, is the finishing. Other than finishing, Torres wasn't good for us because, he started going down too easily, couldn't dribble 'well', couldn't anticipate the players around him / make smart runs etc, and that was roughly it. All of which Costa is equally bad at. Torres was better in the air.

Costa is obviously far more valuable, when he's scoring, than Torres ever was for us, but, when Costa's at his worst, he equals our borderline worst ever player. That isn't good enough for your striker. When a top striker's having an off period, he should still be better than 90% of the strikers around. But when Costa's off, 90% of the strikers around are better than him. You can't say that about Lewandowski/Suarez/Aguero/Ibra when they're not scoring, they still end up being the best player for their side.

killer1257 likes this

17 hours ago, cfcs most wanted said:

I don't think that Costa is a really good striker for our club. In football nowadays you can't just have a strong finisher only with no other qualities, no good passing, skill, speed etc. We need more of a Aubameyang and Griezmann type of player.

Being "just" a finisher was never good enough.

I heard Clive Allen tell a story about the opening game of the 1987/88 season. He and Mickey Quinn had scored 77 goals between them the previous season but both were on the bench as their sides faced each other in that fixture. With the score still 0-0 there was a moment, Allen says, when the pair glanced at each other and raised their eyes to the sky as if to say how the heck can't we get into these teams.

The answer of course was that neither of them were good enough, as all round players, to keep their manager's confidence. It's why they both had so many clubs. Teams would be attracted by their goal scoring, but would eventually be disappointed by their overall contribution and decide to move them on.

The same was true of Michael Owen, an absolutely brilliant finisher in my opinion. He earned moves for that reason but his clubs lost interest in him because his all round game was not at the same standard. For all their rhetoric, Liverpool didn't fight to keep him, and no one else did either.

It takes more than a good scoring record to make a top player. That is why no top club was prepared to pay the money for Lukaku last summer. Let's see what happens this time around.

Tomo likes this

WTF!!! Ive never heard anything so daft!

Chelsea appear to have issued bizarre ban on staff after strange Costa incident

http://www.givemesport.com/1008100-chelsea-appear-to-have-issued-bizarre-ban-on-staff-after-strange-costa-incident?autoplay=on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=52&v=nrA4p11CLHc

31 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

WTF!!! Ive never heard anything so daft!

Chelsea appear to have issued bizarre ban on staff after strange Costa incident

http://www.givemesport.com/1008100-chelsea-appear-to-have-issued-bizarre-ban-on-staff-after-strange-costa-incident?autoplay=on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=52&v=nrA4p11CLHc

Thats really weird since usually there is this one guard that they always shake hands with when they arrive at the Bridge. Especially Costa.

Unionjack likes this

2 minutes ago, Yeboii said:

Thats really weird since usually there is this one guard that they always shake hands with when they arrive at the Bridge. Especially Costa.

Yeah I dont understand it. That guard takes pleasure in greeting and shaking all the lads hands.

Wonder if its Contes OCD about washing his hands lol

Sounds petty tho

11 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Yeah I dont understand it. That guard takes pleasure in greeting and shaking all the lads hands.

Wonder if its Contes OCD about washing his hands lol

Sounds petty tho

I doubt orders like these would come from Conte. Probably from some "director of security" so they "don't lose focus on the job". Usual nonsense rule a boss makes just to look like he is doing something lol.

manpe and Chelsea? like this

Just now, Yeboii said:

I doubt orders like these would come from Conte. Probably from some "director of security" so they "don't lose focus on the job". Usual nonsense rule a boss makes just to do something lol.

Red tape and PC gone bonkers!

Yeboii likes this