Diego Costa

Spike

I'm watching the MOTD link and I've noticed that the two headers that were comfortably saved by Guzan were when Diego was still and then just jumped to head the ball (the first one - in the first half, he was moving, then stopped, then jumped). In the third goal he jumps while still moving (doesn't stop like the first attempt) - that movement made all difference in terms of power. I think he could improve the positioning of his header shots and the power. Good headers are good exactly because of that, the technique to hit the ball where it'll be trickier and with enough power to prevent the goalkeeper of reacting quickly enough. Even then positioning is more important. Goals such as van Persie's first in the world cup and Etoo's against us at Goodison Park are all about there they're hitting the shot.

Diego is better to head if he's in motion, if he's still when the cross comes and just jumps, he doesn't have the technique to spot it well and add enough power. I think both things are quite possible to learn. He looks like he's 40, but he's only 25. He has plenty of time to learn new tricks.

He just has to win the player of the month award again. I can't think of anyone doing better than him in the past 30 days.

yeah, his hat-trick was in September and he was very important in the draw against City... but I feel they'll find someone else to give it...

yeah, his hat-trick was in September and he was very important in the draw against City... but I feel they'll find someone else to give it...

Like Graziano Pelle, probably. He did incredibly well for the Saints, scoring a brace against Newcastle and the incredible winner against QPR and he is my 2nd choice after Diego. Koeman, having 4 wins in a row for Soton + away league cup victory at the Emirates, will likely win the manager's award.

There's no special treatment in dealing with hamstrings. A good rest (at least two weeks) is the best way to stop that muscle from bleeding.

also I trust our medical department better over Atletico's. I'm not sure the placenta thing was used for the hamstring, so I won't call them on that, but whatever treatment our medical team decides is the best, I'm positive is definitely the best.

During the Torres Chelsea 'era', Spain were showing they could play with no forward, as was the sign of the times; and I started to question the importance of that position. Just goes to show, Costa doesn't wear the number but he's reinforced the value of a 9.

also I trust our medical department better over Atletico's. I'm not sure the placenta thing was used for the hamstring, so I won't call them on that, but whatever treatment our medical team decides is the best, I'm positive is definitely the best.

Still it would be a fucked up decision by Del Bosque to call him for this international break knowing that Spain are going to play against Slovakia and some other unknown national team. Paco Alcacer and Llorente should do the job for Spain this time, there is no need for Diego Costa.

The goals aside, I am getting slightly concerned that we've signed a striker with a totally fucked hamstring. Barely training and can only manage 1 game a week? I'm hoping that it's just a ploy to get Spain to stay away and its not true..

The goals aside, I am getting slightly concerned that we've signed a striker with a totally fucked hamstring. Barely training and can only manage 1 game a week? I'm hoping that it's just a ploy to get Spain to stay away and its not true..

Yep me too, for me he is our own Aguero/RVP. Beast of a player usually but when injured will likely result in long time out(3-4 weeks on average). We need to sign a world class backup to share the burden if by the end of this season it is proven that Remy isn't capable of leading the line and Costa out injured quite a lot.

I seriously think Cavani and Higuain might be available next summer for around 25-30m, Drogba will retire obviously. I really hope if it is proven that his hamstring is fucked up permanently and needs careful treatment, we sign a injury free striker like Benzema, Higuain, Cavani...etc. Never get injured and proven world class.

Can't he just decline to go?

Don't know if he can actually decline himself but managers like Harry Redknapp and Fergie have said before they have had players go to them and ask them to tell their national team coach they are injured or struggling with an injury or whatever.

He does need to be watched very carefully, everything that happened to him towards the end of last season at Atleti under Simeone could potentially happen again if we aren't careful.

Don't know if he can actually decline himself but managers like Harry Redknapp and Fergie have said before they have had players go to them and ask them to tell their national team coach they are injured or struggling with an injury or whatever.

He does need to be watched very carefully, everything that happened to him towards the end of last season at Atleti under Simeone could potentially happen again if we aren't careful.

How can they not? They aren't contractually obligated to their countries. Carlos Vela continues to decline call ups to Mexico.