Could this be the best ever Chelsea squad?

For me that 09/10 team can never be touched (despite their relatively early exit in Europe) but I reckon this team could give them a run for their money. Alot of my mates are convinced this is our best ever team but I'm not so sure.

We were utterly ruthless and equally entertaining that season, with Drogba and Lampard at the absolute peak of their powers. Hope this team can bring the magic of that season, back to the Bridge.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We weren't reliant on new signings that season though (09/10), this season however.. 'for success' we're relying on Chelsea virgins to win us the league.

Costa, Fabregas will be key, whereas in 09.. the established players was all we needed, and signings like Zhirkov were useless anyway.

For me that 09/10 team can never be touched (despite their relatively early exit in Europe) but I reckon this team could give them a run for their money. Alot of my mates are convinced this is our best ever team but I'm not so sure.

We were utterly ruthless and equally entertaining that season, with Drogba and Lampard at the absolute peak of their powers. Hope this team can bring the magic of that season, back to the Bridge.

during Jose's first spell our backup players could have made top 6 ..

we are much weaker in reserve now

True. Especially in defense where we don't many backup options. But the window is far from over. A couple of back up signings could completely change that, especially that we have enough money from the sales we made to make more signings.

Do u mean the team that scored 103 epl goals? Not a chance IMO.

Lampard in his peak >>>>> any midfielder we have now.

Drogba was in his peak

Ballack and deco

Terry and cole in their peak. Cole was the best leftback I had seen for a while.

Cech was in prime.

They were all in ages 25-29 now we are mixed in ages

Courtois

Azpi - Cahill - Terry - (Luis)

Matic - Fabregas

Willian - Oscar - Hazard

Costa

vs.

Lukaku

Schürrle - van Ginkel - Salah

Ramires - Mikel

Bertrand - Zouma - Omeruo - Ivanovic

Cech

Don't know about you but I consider the team below to be more than good enough for the starting XI of a club competing for top6 finish in England. Bertrand, Omeruo and most likely Lukaku won't be at the club come start of the season but we might still have some incoming players too so that more than makes up for it. Amazing squad depth really, especially when we add potential squad player signings like Tiago in the mix.

As for the original question, it's still too early to say if this team is really as good as it has the potential to be. We'll know more once the new signings have had some time to settle in and we get to see how they fit Jose's tactics, and also whether or not players like Hazard and Oscar can step it up a notch which IMO is needed for this team to really be as great as the one from Mourinho's first spell or Ancelotti's debut season.

We weren't reliant on new signings that season though (09/10), this season however.. 'for success' we're relying on Chelsea virgins to win us the league.

Costa, Fabregas will be key, whereas in 09.. the established players was all we needed, and signings like Zhirkov were useless anyway.

Also, don't forget... the team spirit when that season started was unlike many other...

It was after that disappointing exit against Barcelona, and with Drogba starting his quest for redemption (following the FA cup win in 09)...

I just hope the results of last season, with it being a close title race and the disappointment in the WC (for most of the team players), will leave this "green" team hungry this season...

The calendar year in 2005 was the best imo, we were ruthless, the results getting chalked up were like mine on fifa career mode. It was absolutely insane. The air of invincibility around the place was so high merely conceding goals even if we went on to win were annoying.

09/10 was amazing team, but was still behind the back to back winning teams in terms of quality, Carlo did amazing getting what he did out of the boys, shame he undone it all and then some the year after.

Courtois

Azpi - Cahill - Terry - (Luis)

Matic - Fabregas

Willian - Oscar - Hazard

Costa

vs.

Lukaku

Schürrle - van Ginkel - Salah

Ramires - Mikel

Bertrand - Zouma - Omeruo - Ivanovic

Cech

Don't know about you but I consider the team below to be more than good enough for the starting XI of a club competing for top6 finish in England. Bertrand, Omeruo and most likely Lukaku won't be at the club come start of the season but we might still have some incoming players too so that more than makes up for it. Amazing squad depth really, especially when we add potential squad player signings like Tiago in the mix.

As for the original question, it's still too early to say if this team is really as good as it has the potential to be. We'll know more once the new signings have had some time to settle in and we get to see how they fit Jose's tactics, and also whether or not players like Hazard and Oscar can step it up a notch which IMO is needed for this team to really be as great as the one from Mourinho's first spell or Ancelotti's debut season.

No Torres? :Goober:

The 2006/07 squad was the best Chelsea have ever had. The amount of talent and worldclass players in their primes was just unreal.

Cech, Terry, Carvalho, Lampard, Drogba? And not many others. We won an FA cup and league cup that season and were far too reliant on Drogba. The 2004/05 and 2005/06 squad were more impressive.

Incomparable situations. As much as I love that 09/10 squad and the season, it was made up completely of experienced players who'd been here a while - and had everyone playing at their peak, especially from the 5-0 at Portsmouth onwards. This squad is nothing like that. But I tell you what, if we do manage to win the league this season, it'll be a far bigger achievement than 09/10, simply because of our relatively young squad and the enormous growth in competition compared to 09/10.

Best ever squad? For me, yes. The 2004/05 one was a machine but it can't boast the sheer talent of some of the players on this squad. Let's look at the main players.

(1) A back 5 of Cech, Gallas, JT, Carvalho and Paulo is roughly the same strength as one with Courtois, Filipe, JT, Cahill and Azpilicueta. Infact, I'll take the latter. OK let's say, DRAW

(2) Midfield is less interesting because our current midfield is much stronger. We had who again? Lampard, Makalele, Tiago, Robben and Duff/Cole. Most of those guys were not in their prime yet. Very balanced.

Compare that with Matic, Fabregas, Ramires, Mikel, Hazard, Oscar, Willian, Schurrle. That midfield has everything. Pace, power, technique, everything. Perhaps less balance but more talent. So 2014/2015 wins.

(3) Strike force is less clear. We had Drogba, Gudjohnson, Kezman and Mutu. Kezman was awful. Mutu was a beast in the previous season but was a non-factor since he got sacked early in the season and contributed nothing, leaving Didier and Eidur. Didier was not yet world class and Eidur, love him to death but never was.

Compare that with Diego Costa, Lukaku, Torres and Ba. I'll still take the latter. One outstanding striker and one super talented striker that has enormous potential and is PL proven. No point commenting too much on Torres or Ba. Both poor quality. Will pick the latter, so 2014/2015 wins again.

2004/2005 was one of the best ever PL sides but the PL was noticeably weaker then and our rivals all had their problems. Arsenal's stars ageing and Man Utd were in a rebuilding process with their old stars ageing and building around Rooney and Ronaldo. Plus Mourinho's tactics were a novelty to the league. We only conceded 15 goals that season. Says it all.

Same thing with 2005/2006 with notable inclusions of Essien (who wasn't at his peak) and Crespo. Still this one is stronger. 2009/10 is slightly over-hyped. Yes, it was a strong one and highly entertaining but not as strong as the ones of the past. That squad had a lot of impressive names but it was an ageing squad and had it's problems. We were easily outclassed in the CL by Inter and then next year, we were crushed by Man Utd, beaten easily home and away. We won the league by only 1 point against a Man Utd team that just lost Ronaldo. Avram Grant's Chelsea were stronger than the 2009/10 one.

Our best squads under Roman were from 2005-2009. If anything, there has been a steady decline in quality year after year.

this squad does not even come close to the sheer class, fight, passion and team spirit to the team we had from 2008-10.

that was a proper team, a team that had a system to play in, had found their foot and were in the best moments of their careers. malouda, DD, lamps, essien, JT, cole, carvalho, cech and the extreme class of ballack.

like someone said, this squad has atleast 3 FIRST team players who are yet to play a single match for chelsea (luis, costa, cesc).right now we rely on hazard's moment of magic rather than a team play to score goals. meanwhile that team was adept in counters, breaking down defences and all round play.

for me the 2008-10 squad was the best ever.

a very poor decision from our board to let go off ballack and not get a perfect replacement for him.

Cech, Terry, Carvalho, Lampard, Drogba? And not many others. We won an FA cup and league cup that season and were far too reliant on Drogba. The 2004/05 and 2005/06 squad were more impressive.

Essien, Ashley, Ballack and albeit not in his prime but still one of the best in his position, Maka plus the young lads Joe Cole, Kalou, Robben and Mikel. Add to that solid players like Paulo, Shevchenko, Bridge et voila - the best and most talented squad we've ever had in our history.

I would take the 2004/05 squad with a peak Drogba... but that was never seen.

that squad was, as someone said above, balanced. something CFC have lacked for a long time.

Also, I'll add that I don't think Chelsea have had a player as good as Arjen Robben yet. Hopefully some of our current young players become as good.

Essien, Ashley, Ballack and albeit not in his prime but still one of the best in his position, Maka plus the young lads Joe Cole, Kalou, Robben and Mikel. Add to that solid players like Paulo, Shevchenko, Bridge et voila - the best and most talented squad we've ever had in our history.

Is this one squad or an amalgamation of different squads? We're talking about one squad.