Defensive unit?

I think Omeruo will go on loan again, Ake is still a very raw talent, cant see him being relied on much, and Zouma is a bit of an unknown quantity, i would actually be surprised if he wasn't sent on loan too.

As much as I like young talent and academy players, I prefer title winning squads. So I wouldn't at all be surprised to see us go after Varane. Would leave us with Ivanovic (Chelsea's best defender IMO), Azpilicueta, Cahill, Terry, Varane, Luis, and perhaps Zouma and Ake.

All our young players are very good, and we would all love to see them play more often, but the reality is, that you really do need to be world class to be a part of this Chelsea squad, and with the exception of Courtois, I haven't really seen that level from any of the others.

I get where you are coming from in regards to the 'title winning squads' rather than young talent and i agree to a certain extent but we have some fantastic young defenders here. Also with FFP in full force now i think we would be silly to let these boys slip away. The only way we will find out ifthese lads will cope is if they get thrown in at the deep end.

If we start off with a back 4 of;

Azpi, Cahill, JT, Luis,

Every eventuality is covered.

Azpi injured - Iva covers

JT/Cahill injured - Iva covers

Luis injured - Iva to RB, Azpi to LB

Both Azpi and a CB injured - Iva in at RB, Zouma in at CB

Both fullbacks injured - Iva and Bertrand/PVA cover

Both CB injured - Iva and Zouma cover

Anything more than 2 injuries/suspensions at one time i think will be extremely unlucky. I believe we will have adequate cover.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh we don't necessarily need 8 defenders. With Iva and Azpi able to play in two different positions i can see 6 being fine.

JT, Cahill, Iva, Azpi, Luis (assuming he signs) and one of Zouma or Omerou.

To think 6 would be fine is verging on madness,to play possibly 50+ games with 6 defenders i doubt we will finish in the top4 imho!!!Never mind challenging for anything

To think 6 would be fine is verging on madness,to play possibly 50+ games with 6 defenders i doubt we will finish in the top4 imho!!!Never mind challenging for anything

Luis, Ake, Terry, Zouma, Ivanovic, Cahill, Azpilicueta. 7 defenders is fine.

Luis, Ake, Terry, Zouma, Ivanovic, Cahill, Azpilicuata. 7 defenders is fine.

God help us Terry&Cahill out for long spells or they have to play near 50 games especially Jt!

Jose proved last season he doesn't rotate his back 5. So barring injury or suspension nothing will change. They won't be rested.

If you read my other post it shows how with our versatile defenders we can cover even two players being out at one time. Any more than that (agan like i said in my other post) would be extremely unlucky and not a thing you can really plan for. So if you actually think about it, it isn't 'verging on madness' at all is it.

The same could be said for any club. Very few have more than 3 very high quality centre backs.

We just need a back up left back

Yeah true but when you look at the rest of the squad for this season i would see defence as a weakness with lack of depth/quality

Terry, Cahill and Ivan for CB.

That's decent but might want another one unless we use Zouma as that 4th spot.

Then Azpi for RB and Felipe for LB.

No real cover for either one side, but it's good if we use Ake as well.

So depending if we use youth then we will have enough cover. If not we might need one more defender.

Terry, Cahill and Ivan for CB.

That's decent but might want another one unless we use Zouma as that 4th spot.

Then Azpi for RB and Felipe for LB.

No real cover for either one side, but it's good if we use Ake as well.

So depending if we use youth then we will have enough cover. If not we might need one more defender.

Yeah looks about right Zouma,Ake,Christensen,looks like are going to be used this season mmm i probly would have liked another World class cb added to this season