Odd one - emigrating

DH1988

As the title suggests, has anyone here immigrated to another country before? Ideally from UK to........somewhere. If so I'd be very interested to talk to you on how long the process took, what you did to get it started etc.

From initially looking into it - it seems notoriously difficult to immigrate out of the country.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the title suggests, has anyone here immigrated to another country before? Ideally from UK to........somewhere. If so I'd be very interested to talk to you on how long the process took, what you did to get it started etc.

From initially looking into it - it seems notoriously difficult to immigrate out of the country.

If you are leaving a country it's classed as 'Emigrating' ;)

I did it for 2.5 years with my job - UK --> Austria (Salzburg)

It's not that difficult - find an apartment/house - transport stuff over (expensive) - I have a Labrador too - so had to sort dog passport and inoculations etc.

I really enjoyed it and it was only my job changing again, that I moved back. I think I might retire (if I live that long) in Austria

The whole process took 3 months before I was settled. Hardest part was picking up the lingo and affording a €1500 satellite dish to allow my UK Sky box to work out there ;)

I guess it depends from where --> to

A friend moved to New Zealand and paid £6k for a container - with all his stuff...

Where are you planning to Emigrate from and Immigrate to?

UK to US or UAE, once I complete my certs (within the year) so at the moment I'm just on a crazy save £ wise. Seems overly difficult, I don't think getting employment would be in terms of what I could do but just getting the application, green card (US) is an absolute nightmare without job sponsorship.

If you are leaving a country it's classed as 'Emigrating' ;)

I did it for 2.5 years with my job - UK --> Austria (Salzburg)

It's not that difficult - find an apartment/house - transport stuff over (expensive) - I have a Labrador too - so had to sort dog passport and inoculations etc.

I really enjoyed it and it was only my job changing again, that I moved back. I think I might retire (if I live that long) in Austria

The whole process took 3 months before I was settled. Hardest part was picking up the lingo and affording a €1500 satellite dish to allow my UK Sky box to work out there ;)

I guess it depends from where --> to

A friend moved to New Zealand and paid £6k for a container - with all his stuff...

Where are you planning to Emigrate from and Immigrate to?

I imagine everything's a lot easier and less stressful travelling within the EU rather than emigrating out of it.

I imagine everything's a lot easier and less stressful travelling within the EU rather than emigrating out of it.

Hey - I was an emigrant from the UK and an immigrant to Austria :)

Nothing is simple - you need a job to get a bank account and to rent a place before you get a Medezettle (sp) and the local government offices don't like speaking English ;)

It might only be 14 hours away in a car - but it is completely different ;)

My mate had an easier time moving to NZ ;) same language etc...

UK to US or UAE, once I complete my certs (within the year) so at the moment I'm just on a crazy save £ wise. Seems overly difficult, I don't think getting employment would be in terms of what I could do but just getting the application, green card (US) is an absolute nightmare without job sponsorship.

Yeah US = impossible without sponsor...

I would go UAE - especially Dubai! Get into a large US company there and do your time 2 yrs - then move to the US with the company, you will get green card and relocation allowances ;)

That's what I would do anyway ;) although you never know - some people love Dubai and stay there forever...

• 2 weeks later...

Your best option is to get in with a company that has a location where you want to live and then do the expat thing for a while. Cost wise it is the best option and the company will handle all the immigration paper work.

Holland is the only country worth immigrating. Amsterdam pikipikiram.

UK is sizzling but ...

When I was living in UK we had licensing hours.

One day I wanted to give a big deck recorder to a friend.

But at 5 pm he was not returned from his work and at the same time the pubs were shut because of licensing hours.

So I waited in the pavement and the fuzz caught me on the charge of vagrancy !

And I was wearing two piece suit as well !

The fuzz said I bet you record sex orgies in that deck of yours but then released me.