test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rmpr

Netherlands vs Costa Rica Match Discussion Thread

Started by Rmpr,

229 posts in this topic

I can't go for Costa Rica. I like underdogs as much as the next guy, but I like quality football and Costa Rica just aren't a very good team and short tournaments can be very favourable to poor teams who can fluke a long way (see Greece 2004) but it makes for boring games. Not that the Dutch are great but they have 2 of the best players in the world. I watch the World Cup to see the best players play, not to see teams fluke their way through the tournament. Costa Rica's best player wasn't good enough for Fulham last year. If Costa Rica were to win, you'd see more of the same against Argentina. 3 shots, 0 on target in 90 minutes and hope that you get lucky on defense.

I can't go for Costa Rica. I like underdogs as much as the next guy, but I like quality football and Costa Rica just aren't a very good team and short tournaments can be very favourable to poor teams who can fluke a long way (see Greece 2004) but it makes for boring games. Not that the Dutch are great but they have 2 of the best players in the world. I watch the World Cup to see the best players play, not to see teams fluke their way through the tournament. Costa Rica's best player wasn't good enough for Fulham last year. If Costa Rica were to win, you'd see more of the same against Argentina. 3 shots, 0 on target in 90 minutes and hope that you get lucky on defense.

We can't expect them to fight fire with fire, there's no other way they can get a result, plus this type of game takes a lot of discipline, mentally, physically and tactically.

Furthermore the games have been getting progressively worse since matchday 3, whoever goes through the semi's are going to be chess games.

Dion likes this

I tend to agree with Toronto. Costa Rica going through means another game just like this against Argentina in the semis.

I tend to agree with Toronto. Costa Rica going through means another game just like this against Argentina in the semis.

So? They do what they have to to win. I have no problem with it. This game is not boring.

So? They do what they have to to win. I have no problem with it. This game is not boring.

Not right now, but first 80 minutes, I literally nodded off twice!

Like I said, I respect them, but want to see more quality in the semis.

TorontoChelsea, Rmpr and kellzfresh like this

I would too, but I mean... it's fucking Costa Rica with a real chance to go to semifinals. Curiosity is getting the best out of me. I really wonder how far can they go? I don't even mind if they play with eleven behind the ball for 90 minutes.

It's like what, like Pescara going to the semis in UCL or something like that, you cannot resist being amazed.

Tomo and iseah100 like this

I guess. But now it's intense.

Brazil and Argentina have quality, but not good teams. I wouldn't mind Costa Rica through. We'll see.

zolayes likes this

and do you really want to see Robben with a WC winners medal .. ???