test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rmpr

Brazil vs Colombia Match Discussion Thread

Started by Rmpr,

437 posts in this topic

his quality and geniality is what won us matches not his 'selfishness'... he's overwhelmed, as a consequence he doesn't pass fast enough or even many times enough at some points of the match. He isn't being selfish for stupid reasons, but because he probably believes he has to save the team. He does have to save the team, but he can't do it all by himself.

We need him back in the wings imo and let Oscar centered again.

I do agree Maicon has to come, but the biggest problem we have (offensive wise) is the lack of a midfield and transition. It affects Neymar and makes it all more overwhelming for him.

I disagree completely and it is simply because his selfishness is part of his geniality. If it wasnst for his selfishness, he wouldnt have tried that shot against Croatia. Just like he wouldnt have gone all the way against Cameroon.

Neymar cant do everything by himself, I agree there. But he does need to continue to try individual plays because that's the only thing that is working atm. Just watch Hazard and see how many chances he "misses" exactly because he is always wanting to serve his teammates and not trying to dribble or shoot...

As far as the transition between defence and attack, we do have an issue there. But that is not the main problem (imo). First because we do have enough good players in that area (Hernanes, Fernandinho, Luiz Gustavo, etc) and second because Felipao seems to have already seen the light in this department. But the main problem is that our attacking players arent doing shit. We already left out some nice options like Coutinho, Lucas, Kaka, etc. Plus the guys who used to show up are playing like garbage. Not to mention we are always playing with ten men with either Fred or Jo!!!

I mean, what's the point of having a smooth transition if the ball is going to end up in the foot of one of Oscar, Hulk or Fred? :lol: Seriously, fixing the four attacking dudes is the most difficult thing we have to solve. It is more than personnel, it is tactical also!

I dont have the answer to that problem (I am not the manager), but I do know it needs urgent fixing. We are looking like Chelsea at the end of the season. If our star isnt at his best, all our creativity simply dies. It goes to bellow zero!

I disagree completely and it is simply because his selfishness is part of his geniality. If it wasnst for his selfishness, he wouldnt have tried that shot against Croatia. Just like he wouldnt have gone all the way against Cameroon.

Neymar cant do everything by himself, I agree there. But he does need to continue to try individual plays because that's the only thing that is working atm. Just watch Hazard and see how many chances he "misses" exactly because he is always wanting to serve his teammates and not trying to dribble or shoot...

As far as the transition between defence and attack, we do have an issue there. But that is not the main problem (imo). First because we do have enough good players in that area (Hernanes, Fernandinho, Luiz Gustavo, etc) and second because Felipao seems to have already seen the light in this department. But the main problem is that our attacking players arent doing shit. We already left out some nice options like Coutinho, Lucas, Kaka, etc. Plus the guys who used to show up are playing like garbage. Not to mention we are always playing with ten men with either Fred or Jo!!!

I mean, what's the point of having a smooth transition if the ball is going to end up in the foot of one of Oscar, Hulk or Fred? :lol: Seriously, fixing the four attacking dudes is the most difficult thing we have to solve. It is more than personnel, it is tactical also!

I dont have the answer to that problem (I am not the manager), but I do know it needs urgent fixing. We are looking like Chelsea at the end of the season. If our star isnt at his best, all our creativity simply dies. It goes to bellow zero!

actually you're misunderstanding me.

I don't want him to become a different player. He's a dribbler, he's a guy that won't pass backwards, but he's aggressive and confident. That's really what makes him especial - in addition to great technical ability - but he's changed in the WC. He's not being smart at some points - something he's always been - about when to pass and when to dribble and I don't think he's doing that because he is 'fominha', but because he feels like the whole country is expecting him to decide us the matches. And we are and hopefully he will, but he's overwhelmed by everything: by the media, by his responsibilities as the star, by the lack of training that matters, by the Felipao inapt tactics (if he even has any at all). He's being sacrificed - but much by himself.

We need to populate the midfield, we can't depend on long balls as much as we've been so far. With Neymar in the middle surrounded by opponents and the rest of the team acting shy we won't go anywhere. If he goes down to the flank again, he has more space, especially against a team whose full backs support the attack.

If I were the manager, I'd resort to one of two things: 3-5-2 - with Neymar and Hulk as the most advanced (hoping Hulk can carry on the decent form he showed against Chile) or my favorite: 4-3-3 without Fred. Julio Cesar - Maicon - Silva - Luiz - Marcelo. Paulinho (as Gustavo is suspended) - Fernandinho - Oscar. Neymar, Hulk, Willian That's the best formation in my opinion with Oscar centered, but in the midfield. Neymar and Hulk alternating the false 9 position or the most advanced attacker with Willian in the other flank. We need to take Fred (officially) out of the team. We can't continue to play with 10 - I agree with you - and populating the midfield like this, allowing Fernandinho or Paulinho to come from behind as well, we relieve Neymar, we get rid for real of non-existent striker and we add guys who can hold the ball (my main point of having Willian - if there's one thing he can do is work the ball around, hold it, control possession and hopefully the midfield).

There are too many changes to do way in a late stage as QF, but it's unavoidable. If Alves starts one more match for us he'll lead Colombia or whoever to score and possibly win. He's a huge liability and not even in the attack he's been useful. Bring Maicon and at least we have someone solid defensively, which at the end of the day gives more options and space for the midfielders (not to say confidence). I just hope Ramires is nowhere near the team - even as a sub. He's making matters worse of our inexistent midfield. It seems like he's got even worse in his passing since the season finished.

Rmpr likes this

Yeah, but URU are not weakies.

I think Uruguay's recent record speaks for itself. They've been pretty poor for a very long time - I'm originally from the south of Brazil and we actually hear news from Uruguay on occasion (spec talk shows).

Personally, I think they have 3 excellent players and then shit in every position. I cannot believe they started a KO match with 35yo Diego Forlan who spent a year sitting on the bench at SC Internacional (Brazil). You can't possibly want anything in a world cup with a midfield like theirs... yes the fact England lost to Uruguay who's gone and Italy who had gone earlier suggests (to me) that the critics have been way too nice with the coach as well as players.

How many players from Uruguay would you want playing for Chelsea? How many from their midfield? Suarez allowed Cavani to drop back and help in the creation, which is much needed. Because all their mids have awful first touch. And COlombia played Uruguay without Suarez!

In South America, we've been seeing Chile performing really well for a long time. Colombia is the odd ball to me. They've got good players for sure, but to me Chile is the pressing type.

Of course, Brazil hasn't looked that hot either - perhaps first 30 min against Chile. So, it wouldn't be that crazy to me if Colombia beat Brazil just to lose in the semis for example.

We will find out soon enough.

Things are getting pretty serious now in the quarter finals and beyond. Colombia is tough to score against, just like Chile, but more clinical than Chile. Fred needs to be dropped. WC has had enough of him. So why not put Neymar as false 9, Oscar behind him, Willian right, Hulk left and Fernandinho, Luis Gustavo in midfield.

Things are getting pretty serious now in the quarter finals and beyond. Colombia is tough to score against, just like Chile, but more clinical than Chile. Fred needs to be dropped. WC has had enough of him. So why not put Neymar as false 9, Oscar behind him, Willian right, Hulk left and Fernandinho, Luis Gustavo in midfield.

Because Gustavo is suspended, that's why.

Because Gustavo is suspended, that's why.

Ops. Shit, i forgot about that.

I guess they could use Paulinho instead and cross their fingers.

Because that would be a massive risk at this stage, considering they've never played like that.

I think Brazil should pray they have another Chile game, as that is the best they can achieve. They will win against Colombia over a shit play, or dodgy call.

iseah100 likes this

Who wants bet that Scolari drops Fernandinho and goes back to Paulinho in midfield? :P

I don't think he would be that stupid. But I bet it's gonna be Fernandinho and Paulinho.

Korea likes this

Because that would be a massive risk at this stage, considering they've never played like that.

I think Brazil should pray they have another Chile game, as that is the best they can achieve. They will win against Colombia over a shit play, or dodgy call.

True, but what other options are left? Massive risks = massive payoff at times like these. Brazil needs to grow some balls.

Barbara likes this

Who wants bet that Scolari drops Fernandinho and goes back to Paulinho in midfield? :P

Gustavo is suspended......

I understand changing things right now might be bad timing, but Fred doesn't really provide anything...

No link up play, doesn't lead the line particularly well, doesnt win long balls, doesnt press effectively, and his "goal" was offisde (or at least debatable).

Gustavo is suspended......

I know, and it should be Fernandinho and Rami in midfield, while Paulinho should be somewhere on holiday because he has absolutely no business being in the Brazilian NT let alone start for them!

iseah100 likes this

I know, and it should be Fernandinho and Rami in midfield, while Paulinho should be somewhere on holiday because he has absolutely no business being in the Brazilian NT let alone start for them!

Fernandinho is starting.... He's the only one that can play the holding role, unless you think Rambo can...

I dont think brazil has to "turn up"....football is unoredictable and not best team always win. Luck and players form of day have lot to do with it. Belgium was much better team vs Usa but usa could go through if that guy would score in 90th minute.

It doesnt matter if Colombia makes 50 shots and completely overruns Brazil. The one that will score more will win. And so far, brazil had quite some luck so far.

Fernandinho is starting.... He's the only one that can play the holding role, unless you think Rambo can...

Not about what I think, but about what Scolari thinks. And that tends to be different than what most people think.

sorry, but in the condition we are, having Ramires is 1000000000 times worse than having Paulinho. We barely pass play through the midfield, in the few attempts we try, if Ramires is there he's going to misplace a pass and there it goes the effort of 10 minutes. Paulinho sucks, Ramires sucks more because Brazil's problems only highlight his weaknesses. He's the last player we need to see in the team second only to Jo.

Neither does Rami then because he had just as bad a season if not worse than Paulinho. Fernandinho and Hernanes should start together I think.

Rmpr likes this