Cesc Fàbregas

Tomo

"The midfielder scored 42 goals and provided 45 assists in three seasons with Barcelona."

Not bad.

Have you seen Torres' stats? I's not bad actually, but after that I stopped believing in numbers.

I'm sure Xavi's stats for goals and assists aren't off the charts but he clearly was the better and more important option for Barca than Fabtegas.

Have you seen Torres' stats? I's not bad actually, but after that I stopped believing in numbers.

I'm sure Xavi's stats for goals and assists aren't off the charts but he clearly was the better and more important option for Barca than Fabtegas.

Er, I generally agree with you that stats aren't everything, but have you seen Xavi play last season? He was terrible in many games. Even Barcelona fans who adore Xaviniesta and are often blind to their faults admitted that he was one of the worst players in many games.

This is just a few random quotes from barcaforum:

"Once again showed he is well past his best, simple passes going off target and he just doesn't control the game at all.. Sad but true."

"As the season advances, Xavi's decline becomes more and more apparent."

"Apparently, he slows more and more the game. Doesn't take risks of assisting or getting further forward. Pretty much a ''heavier'' player these days."

"
Can't believe people are still going on about the "He's just playing it safe now. The old Xavi is gone." myth. Every year it's getting more and more difficult to make a vertical pass in the final third.
I would believe this if I wouldn't see Cesc, Messi or even Busi making those passes."
"He is nothing more than a blunt knife now. I'm really sad about his offensive demise."

This is just a few random quotes from February 2014.

Xavi is no longer the old Xavi. He was bad last season--both his game and his stats.

Cesc confirmed Xavi is leaving the Catalans this season.

I'm really surprised they let both Cesc and Thiago go, when Xavi was in the process of leaving. Only thing that would justified it, if Koke is coming in.

I for one would have liked to see him play against that insane Chile pressing. Meh.

Still wouldn't be fair to judge him off that in the context for our system. Even Iniesta looked average against these, Vidal and Medel fully marshalled that midfield tonight.

How many minutes did he play exactly in the WC? Feel bad for players like Koke for whom the WC should've been a great experience.

Imagine how Mata feels right now. Has wanted desperately to break into the Spain squad so much that he moved clubs and didn't play a single minute for them.

Imagine how Mata feels right now. Has wanted desperately to break into the Spain squad so much that he moved clubs and didn't play a single minute for them.

And now he is stuck in united. Players put so much importance on the World cup. I get that it is the biggest competition in the world and highly prestigious to win, but you play 7 games max in the world cup and the rest of your season with the club.

Still wouldn't be fair to judge him off that in the context for our system. Even Iniesta looked average against these, Vidal and Medel fully marshalled that midfield tonight.

Not to judge him, just to see how he copes. I have only really seen him at Barca against very defensive sides.

Even Atletico didn't press like this, Chile players must have been on something lol.

And now he is stuck in united. Players put so much importance on the World cup. I get that it is the biggest competition in the world and highly prestigious to win, but you play 7 games max in the world cup and the rest of your season with the club.

All this fuss for 7 freaking games. Really awful if you are Mata now.

Not to judge him, just to see how he copes. I have only really seen him at Barca against very defensive sides.

Even Atletico didn't press like this, Chile players must have been on something lol.

Fair enough.

Chile have always played like this though mate. Always been lots of energy in their team, led by the animal that is Vidal.

And I hope Mou isnt looking for another creative CM, because high pressing, speed and decent imagination is what makes you win in football today. Midfield of Matic, Fab and Kroos would get destroyed on high pressing.

And I hope Mou isnt looking for another creative CM, because high pressing, speed and decent imagination is what makes you win in football today. Midfield of Matic, Fab and Kroos would get destroyed on high pressing.

That's why Mata and KDB were cast outside and he preferred Oscar, and Willian two guys who fit that mold better.

If we get Kross, there's no way we would play Cesc and Kross in the same lineup against tougher opponents.

I don't agree with that. If you're playing possession and can only build up from the back then you'll get countered pretty badly by opposition's high press. But if they pass quick and direct then those guys would actually destroy a high press and create loads of chances because they have the ability to make the quick forward pass and bypass the high press. The ball can outrun any man, unless you're Spain and all you do is make 5 yard passes, but thankfully we won't ever go down that road at Chelsea.

The real problem might be on defence when they're the ones asked to press and recover the ball. Only Matic is capable of performing that role on a consistent basis.