Cesc Fàbregas

Tomo

This to me pretty much confirms Romeu will leave on loan.

Mikel/Matic as DM. Fabregas/MVG/Ramires for the other spot in the pivot, or 2 of them in 4-3-3.

This to me pretty much confirms Romeu will leave on loan.

Mikel/Matic as DM. Fabregas/MVG/Ramires for the other spot in the pivot, or 2 of them in 4-3-3.

That would be an ideal condition, like Mourinho said. Romeu for sure will go. The problem is we still have 1 surplus non HG player even if Romeu go, someone between Cech, Mikel and Torres must go too. Most likely it is Mikel, I'm afraid because of that our CM position turn from the strongest to our weakest position.

That would be an ideal condition, like Mourinho said. Romeu for sure will go. The problem is we still have 1 surplus non HG player even if Romeu go, someone between Cech, Mikel and Torres must go too. Most likely it is Mikel, I'm afraid because of that our CM position turn from the strongest to our weakest position.

Nah, we don't have to register 3 non HG goalkeepers. If Cech and Courtois both stays, Mou won't register Mark.

Im sad to say it but i think we must shift Ramires back in when we play the big teams (go 4-3-3), because we probably need someone to cover his ass if we wan't our fullbacks to bomb forward.

I think we're underestimating the 'smaller' sides in the league tbh. They don't all camp in their own box like West Ham did. I have a feeling if we play a Matic-Fabregas pivot they will press us very hard in the middle of the park (where we'd have little pace) and then counter attack from there. With our FBs bombing forward too this could be a big problem.

I think we're underestimating the 'smaller' sides in the league tbh. They don't all camp in their own box like West Ham did. I have a feeling if we play a Matic-Fabregas pivot they will press us very hard in the middle of the park (where we'd have little pace) and then counter attack from there. With our FBs bombing forward too this could be a big problem.

I always said that Cesc wasn't great defensively and playing him in the pivot might not be the best idea considering his average pace and the fact that it would limit his creativity, but I'm not sure what today's game has to do with the argument of Fabregas-Matic pivot not working. MVG-Matic pivot didn't exactly look stellar today, despite MVG's great pace and their advantage of training together for a month already.

Yes, Fab misplaced some passes today, but misplacing some passes when you play as #10 practically comes with the job.

watch the match again... first, our FB didn't bomb forward. There were times we had possession in the attack and you couldn't even see Azpilicueta in the frame. I remember one interception by Werder in our attack that ended up being a deflection and Azpilicueta got the rebound. He was in the middle line of the pitch literally while the ball has been in the attack for a while already. Luís was up more times, but often when Azpili was high, he was way back. We will never have both FB bombing forward as you call it.

Cesc played #10 today the full 90 minutes he stayed in the pitch. I can't connect this to what you're assuming will happen, but that hasn't happened yet as our best midfield presentation so far has been with him and Matic in the pivot.

It's pre-season, the opponents aren't stellar, but all conclusions are made in people's head as they haven't seen it happening yet to base their theories simply because it didn't happen as they picture.

I'm convinced we won't play him there in big matches, I'm aware he isn't that fast, but no one can say based on what they've seen so far that it doesn't work and he doesn't work because when he played there it simply worked. It may not always work - it certainly won't, but I'm actually surprised about the overreaction towards him in the pivot when he hasn't played there for one match and a half now (he played as third man midfield in the second half against Vitesse).

It's okay to have theories, we all have them, but make it clear they're theories about what you think will happen, not based on what happened because that couldn't be farther from what really passed.

What I know is, him at 10 doesn't improve our play. We might as well have kept Mata for that.

What he can offer us is that build up and ball retention from a deeper role, a la Alonso.

His defensive problems are up to Mou to cover, like by having Willian or Oscar act like a 3rd midfielder when we're not in possession.

Whatever the case, we can't play 2 defensive midfielders like Rammy and Matic, then expect them to start attacks against defensive teams.

watch the match again... first, our FB didn't bomb forward. There were times we had possession in the attack and you couldn't even see Azpilicueta in the frame. I remember one interception by Werder in our attack that ended up being a deflection and Azpilicueta got the rebound. He was in the middle line of the pitch literally while the ball has been in the attack for a while already. Luís was up more times, but often when Azpili was high, he was way back. We will never have both FB bombing forward as you call it.

Cesc played #10 today the full 90 minutes he stayed in the pitch. I can't connect this to what you're assuming will happen, but that hasn't happened yet as our best midfield presentation so far has been with him and Matic in the pivot.

It's pre-season, the opponents aren't stellar, but all conclusions are made in people's head as they haven't seen it happening yet to base their theories simply because it didn't happen as they picture.

I'm convinced we won't play him there in big matches, I'm aware he isn't that fast, but no one can say based on what they've seen so far that it doesn't work and he doesn't work because when he played there it simply worked. It may not always work - it certainly won't, but I'm actually surprised about the overreaction towards him in the pivot when he hasn't played there for one match and a half now (he played as third man midfield in the second half against Vitesse).

It's okay to have theories, we all have them, but make it clear they're theories about what you think will happen, not based on what happened because that couldn't be farther from what really passed.

This.

I've said numerous times that I think playing him as the most advanced midfielder in 4-3-3 would be the best, but even I am confused by this strange "no to Fabregas-Matic pivot" after the match he didn't play in the pivot. So he lost the ball a few times today when he played higher up the pitch. So what? All attacking players did. It comes with the job.

We saw Fabregas-Matic pivot only once--against a weak opposition, granted--but the fact remains that it worked. The overreaction after today's game is strange and quite unfounded--and I'm saying this as a guy who's always been skeptical of playing Cesc in the pivot.

That said, 4-3-3 would be better: less restrictive for him and more solid defensively.

watch the match again... first, our FB didn't bomb forward. There were times we had possession in the attack and you couldn't even see Azpilicueta in the frame. I remember one interception by Werder in our attack that ended up being a deflection and Azpilicueta got the rebound. He was in the middle line of the pitch literally while the ball has been in the attack for a while already. Luís was up more times, but often when Azpili was high, he was way back. We will never have both FB bombing forward as you call it. Cesc played #10 today the full 90 minutes he stayed in the pitch. I can't connect this to what you're assuming will happen, but that hasn't happened yet as our best midfield presentation so far has been with him and Matic in the pivot. It's pre-season, the opponents aren't stellar, but all conclusions are made in people's head as they haven't seen it happening yet to base their theories simply because it didn't happen as they picture. I'm convinced we won't play him there in big matches, I'm aware he isn't that fast, but no one can say based on what they've seen so far that it doesn't work and he doesn't work because when he played there it simply worked. It may not always work - it certainly won't, but I'm actually surprised about the overreaction towards him in the pivot when he hasn't played there for one match and a half now (he played as third man midfield in the second half against Vitesse).

I didn't say in my post that all my conclusions were coming from today's game like you seem to have inferred. I've actually been in favour of the Matic-Fabregas pivot in theory but I'm a little more concerned now basing it on what I have seen so far. Our FBs will go forward more often (I didn't say simultaneously like you've once again inferred) which means we need a more defensively secure pivot but a slow Fabregas (he IS slow) is an easy pressing target for counter-attacking teams. And teams always seem to have very high conversion rates countering us.

Not sure why you're getting so defensive but 'I have a feeling...' was not clear enough? :lol:

I'm not sure what today's game has to do with the argument of Fabregas-Matic pivot not working

I'm not basing it solely on today's game and I didn't say it wouldn't work. I think a 4-3-3- would leave us less exposed defensively (even if it means Ramires has to play which isn't great).

My concern is that instead of actually solving the pivot problem we may have unwittingly created another issue(s); Fabregas essentially having to become a full-time #10 and/or moving away from Mourinho's preferred 4-2-3-1 formation and effectively having to restructure the side because of this transfer.

A lot can and will happen when the serious football starts so we'll have to wait and see. One thing I will say now though is that he is incredibly slow and I hate that. I felt that was Mata's biggest problem with regards to pressing as he couldn't close opponents down quickly enough and recover his position when moves broke down.

I didn't say in my post that all my conclusions were coming from today's game like you seem to have inferred. I've actually been in favour of the Matic-Fabregas pivot in theory but I'm a little more concerned now basing it on what I have seen so far. Our FBs will go forward more often (I didn't say simultaneously like you've once again inferred) which means we need a more defensively secure pivot but a slow Fabregas (he IS slow) is an easy pressing target for counter-attacking teams. And teams always seem to have very high conversion rates countering us.

Not sure why you're getting so defensive but 'I have a feeling...' was not clear enough? :lol:

I'm not basing it solely on today's game and I didn't say it wouldn't work. I think a 4-3-3- would leave us less exposed defensively (even if it means Ramires has to play which isn't great).

sorry then, but summing up your post here and the posts in the match threads, it seems like people are labeling Cesc in the pivot something that won't work because he loses possession and isn't fast enough to recover it based on matches when he hasn't been there for 135 minutes now...

It seems like people are coming to conclusions based on the matches, not simply on their theories, but if it's only your theory, okay then. Again, the 45 minutes he played there we completely dominated the midfield and that was against Vitesse. Although we played even better when it was changed for a 4-3-3 in the second half of that match.

So I misunderstood your whole post.

Also the ideal 4-3-3 doesn't have Ramires anywhere the lineup against the average side. Not sure Mourinho will see it that way but his insistence on praising Cesc in every interview, the way he stresses he's a CM or someone that gives his best #8 but also with flexibility to play #10 and basically no mention of Ramires at all makes me think he'll try that.

Actually he will have to cope without Ramires anyway because he's suspended for a few matches (I guess 3?) as he didn't complete his suspension from the end of last season. He's a moron.