Cesc Fàbregas

Tomo

Daniel1980, on 07 Jul 2014 - 02:33 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure it's the opposite. Cesc likes playing the #10--that's what he was in his last year at Arsenal. They didn't let him play there at Barcelona because Messi plays in the centre and they don't use a traditional CAM.

RyanDavidson, on 07 Jul 2014 - 07:05 AM, said:

He played as an attacking midfielder for Barca, not Arsenal... he was ruined used there as he was one of the best deep lying midfield players in Europe at the time.

Cesc did play as #10 in 4-2-3-1 at Arsenal in 2010-2011. In 2009-2010, he mostly played as the most advanced midfielder in 4-3-3. Before that, yes, he played as the deep-lying playmaker.

As for Barcelona... My wife is a Barcelona fan, so I had to watch many of their games. Cesc played LM, RM, winger(LOL), centre forward, and of course, false nine. He rarely played centrally as a true CAM behind forwards(they have Messi in the centre and even when they didn't, they used Fabregas as a false nine).

This is one of the few games he was allowed to play more like a CAM at Barcelona:

2ztg8dk.png

http://vimeo.com/86228084

Looks like CAM is the position he prefers, though he was good when he played deeper in his earlier seasons at Arsenal. We'll see what position Jose wants him for.

It's funny to me that people are more excited about a possible Pogba signing than the actual signing of an immense player. This is a player who can play multiple positions, was on the UEFA team of the year TWICE has won everything and is still only 27.

"Grass ishe always greener" plus they've gotten over the euphoria of that signing. And Oscar has been shit so some think he'll replace him.

basically they are reporting what we already know. 33mil euros which increases to 36 mil euros!!!

I reckon Fabregas should be used in a 4-3-3 interchanging positions dynamically with Oscar depending on the situation or the team we're facing. Let's say we're playing against a side that has a Mata type of player as their cam and a creative player at the pivot, a deep-lying playmaker if you will - in the mold of Pirlo or Xabi Alonso. In this kind of situation it would be wiser to have Fabregas deeper than Oscar, that way he will avoid their pivot which more likely than not are better at defending than their CAM, which is Mata-esque, providing him more time on the ball to make plays and impact the game and at the same time we can use Oscar to shut down their deep-lying playmaker. If we're playing a team that park the bus or doesn't have a particular strong creative player in their pivot than Fabregas would play further up the pitch and so on. The reason why deep-lying playmakers were ever used was to avoid defensive midfielders in the first place, so it makes sense. Besides, Fabregas has some of the best long balls and through balls I have ever seen, he would definitely work fine there.

I also believe Oscar and Fabregas are tactically smart enough to make these transitions or cover for each other seamlessly throughout the match. In the game vs. Colombia, Oscar played almost as a pivot player, covering for players from the back going forward all the time, which means he could cover for Fabregas whenever Fabregas saw an opportunity to bomb forward.

This 4-3-3 would consist of Matic, Fabregas and Oscar in the middle, Hazard, Costa/Ba/Lukaku and Schürrle/Willian upfront. A scary line-up in my eyes.

:wub: perfect post

I can't wait until July 21st - when he's set to join the pre-season. Like Alex, I haven't been this excited about a signing since forever, lol. I was pretty excited about Matic, but Cesc is another level :wub: