test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Special Juan

4. Cesc Fàbregas

Started by Special Juan,

5,736 posts in this topic

Trading him for some quality centre-back would be perfect. But in that case we should really sell Drinkwater and Cahill (maybe even Luiz) so Ampadu and AC could get more chances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chelsea are in danger of losing Cesc Fabregas, 31, on a free transfer to either Inter Milan or AC Milan in January with the Spaniard's contract at Stamford Bridge set to expire at the end of the season. (Express)

I don't think many Chelsea fans will be losing sleep over this move away from the bridge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, goffus said:

Am i the only one who ve been impressed with him? He looked good in Jorghino's role. He might play a key role for deep runs in cups and keeping jorghino fresh.

He's the only other one we have that can really play that role.  Everyone was quick to write him off in Conte's first season.  But he changed his game as well as he could.  That caught up to him last year, but a 2 man midfield is just asking for too much from him.  Yeah, he doesn't have the legs anymore, but having 70% of the ball certainly helps in that regard.  His passing and tactical awareness are still there.

Stats and goffus like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cesc is done at this level man, he has to be carried so much by players around him. I would keep him as a bench option, he has an eye for a good pass so when we need a goal he might be a good option off the bench. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, manpe said:

Why are we only hearing about contract extensions to players who shouldn't get one?

its our board thats why

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/11/2018 at 11:11 PM, manpe said:

Why are we only hearing about contract extensions to players who shouldn't get one?

Honestly I disagree, we don't have a like for like sub for Jorginho, Cesc is the only player in the squad who can play that role. Sure his legs arent what they were, hes never been the strongest or fastest anyway but technically he is still a good option in that role. Good experienced player to have in the squad and if hes willing to stay here and do that role again next season why not? Football is a squad game as much as anything these days. Also we have more pressing concerns in other places like upfront, central defence and out wide with Willian and Pedro's inconsistencies, they should be addressed first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Why are we only hearing about contract extensions to players who shouldn't get one?
It can be done easily
Sideshow Luiz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Honestly I disagree, we don't have a like for like sub for Jorginho, Cesc is the only player in the squad who can play that role. Sure his legs arent what they were, hes never been the strongest or fastest anyway but technically he is still a good option in that role. Good experienced player to have in the squad and if hes willing to stay here and do that role again next season why not? Football is a squad game as much as anything these days. Also we have more pressing concerns in other places like upfront, central defence and out wide with Willian and Pedro's inconsistencies, they should be addressed first. 

Sarri has the perfect back-up, future Jorginho on his shopping list, Sandro Tonali. The lad is going to be something special I think.:)

the wes and Johnnyeye like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vesper said:

Sarri has the perfect back-up, future Jorginho on his shopping list, Sandro Tonali. The lad is going to be something special I think.:)

we need to swoop in fast for Tonali otherwise Juve will snap him up and we are done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Honestly I disagree, we don't have a like for like sub for Jorginho, Cesc is the only player in the squad who can play that role. Sure his legs arent what they were, hes never been the strongest or fastest anyway but technically he is still a good option in that role. Good experienced player to have in the squad and if hes willing to stay here and do that role again next season why not? Football is a squad game as much as anything these days. Also we have more pressing concerns in other places like upfront, central defence and out wide with Willian and Pedro's inconsistencies, they should be addressed first. 

While I agree that Cesc is important right now because we have literally no back-up for Jorginho and that position is so crucial for us, we really should be looking at getting a long-term replacement in.

If Jorginho gets injured for any period of time, we are really screwed.  At Napoli, Sarri had Diawara who he had no issues with playing against anyone.  

I also agree that it's importance is behind areas that you've mentioned, like our wingers, but it's also going to be a lot cheaper to fix than those positions (so, in theory, easier).

Vesper likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/11/2018 at 1:48 PM, Sideshow Luiz said:

While I agree that Cesc is important right now because we have literally no back-up for Jorginho and that position is so crucial for us, we really should be looking at getting a long-term replacement in.

If Jorginho gets injured for any period of time, we are really screwed.  At Napoli, Sarri had Diawara who he had no issues with playing against anyone.  

I also agree that it's importance is behind areas that you've mentioned, like our wingers, but it's also going to be a lot cheaper to fix than those positions (so, in theory, easier).

 Well, maybe not cheaper if you want a ready made big league plug n' play DH DMF. They are actually a very rare breed if one wants true quality.

Sandro Tonali is potentially the best one, Sarri desperately wants him, he will only be around £25m or so, but he is only 18 and still playing in Serie B.

Here are the already established ones who are of sufficient quality. The list isnt long.

Sergio Busquets  Barca (will never leave them and is already 30)

Ruben Neves   Wolves  They are demanding £100m plus for him. Only Shitty would drop that much IMHO. Pep wants him badly. He is by far the best scorer out of all the top DH DMF's as well, and can play anywhere in MF.

Rodri    Atletico Madrid They just bought him, he is seen as the new Busquets. He won't be sold

Frenkie de Jong   Ajax  Can play anywhere in MF, and also plays at CB, and even has had runouts at fullback. Bidding war for him will be crazy. Would love to have him, especially if we lose Kovacic.

Julian Weigl    Dortmund  (Shitty on him too) Has been up and down a bit, but so young and huge potential

and then the most realistic I think, for us (if we fail on Tonali)

Leandro Paredes from Zenit (Roma had to sell him and Rudiger to meet FFP)

and

Stanislav Lobotka (23yo Slovakian) from Celta Vigo often plays in a kind of Jorginho role too, and Spurs and PSG are all over him, Spuds has a £31m bid turned down at the window's end this summer.

Some others

Marco Verratti can play that role as well but would be over £100m

Giovani Lo Celso on loan to Real Betis from PSG has also played DH DMF, and would be far less than Vertatti, but still not cheap, probably in the £50m range

Asier Illarramendi  Real Sociedad  poor man's Busquets/Xabi Alonso , but he turns 29 in March

Rodrigo Bentancur from Juve. He has also played that role, but is more of a CMF.

Arne Maier  Hertha Berlin 19yo wunderkind, 2nd best teenager DMF after Tonali IMHO, some would argue better, but I think Tonali is just perfect for the DH DMF role. Maier may end up a Kroos type which is also amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Vesper said:

 Well, maybe not cheaper if you want a ready made big league plug n' play DH DMF. They are actually a very rare breed if one wants true quality.

Sandro Tonali is potentially the best one, Sarri desperately wants him, he will only be around £25m or so, but he is only 18 and still playing in Serie B.

Here are the already established ones who are of sufficient quality. The list isnt long.

 Sergio Busquets  Barca (will never leave them and is already 30)

Ruben Neves   Wolves  They are demanding £100m plus for him. Only Shitty would drop that much IMHO. Pep wants him badly. He is by far the best scorer out of all the top DH DMF's as well, and can play anywhere in MF.

Rodri    Atletico Madrid They just bought him, he is seen as the new Busquets. He won't be sold

Frenkie de Jong   Ajax  Can play anywhere in MF, and also plays at CB, and even has had runouts at fullback. Bidding war for him will be crazy. Would love to have him, especially if we lose Kovacic.

Julian Weigl    Dortmund  (Shitty on him too) Has been up and down a bit, but so young ans huge potential

and then the most realistic I think, for us (if we fail on Tonali)

Leandro Paredes from Zenit (Roma had to sell him and Rudiger to meet FFP)

and

Stanislav Lobotka (23yo Slovakian) from Celta Vigo often plays in a kind of Jorginho role too, and Spurs and PSG are all over him, Spuds has a £31m bid turned down at the window's end this summer.

Some others

Marco Verratti can play that role as well but would be over £100m

Giovani Lo Celso on loan to Real Betis from PSG has also played DH DMF, and would be far less than Vertatti, but still not cheap, probably in the £50m range

Asier Illarramendi  Real Sociedad  poor man's Busquets/Xabi Alonso , but he turns 29 in March

Rodrigo Bentancur from Juve. He has also played that role, but is more of a CMF.

Arne Maier  Hertha Berlin 19yo wunderkind, 2nd best teenager DMF after Tonali IMHO, some would argue better, but I think Tonali is just perfect for the DH DMF role. Maier may end up a Kroos type which is also amazing.

I think it would be cheaper, we'd be looking at either a ready made player like a slightly younger Cesc, who is okay with being a back-up, or a younger player who can grow in to the role.  

I say cheaper, not in the sense that it won't cost us anything, but we'd be looking for a 1st team winger.  That's going to cost us a lot.

Vesper likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

I think it would be cheaper, we'd be looking at either a ready made player like a slightly younger Cesc, who is okay with being a back-up, or a younger player who can grow in to the role.  

I say cheaper, not in the sense that it won't cost us anything, but we'd be looking for a 1st team winger.  That's going to cost us a lot.

Malcom + £20-25m for Willian.

Take that cash and buy Sandro Tonali.

http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/16711-22-willian/?do=findComment&comment=1376945

2 birds one stone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Vesper said:

Malcom + £20-25m for Willian.

Take that cash and buy Sandro Tonali.

http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/16711-22-willian/?do=findComment&comment=1376945

2 birds one stone.

Yes, and no.  It doesn't make us better.  There's an argument to be made that it actually makes us worse in the short term.  Sure, 3 years from now, it looks good.  But, that's a downgrade in January, and Tonali is someone I'm interested in, but I'd be surprised if he was better than Cesc, right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sideshow Luiz said:

Yes, and no.  It doesn't make us better.  There's an argument to be made that it actually makes us worse in the short term.  Sure, 3 years from now, it looks good.  But, that's a downgrade in January, and Tonali is someone I'm interested in, but I'd be surprised if he was better than Cesc, right now.

Cesc would still be on the team in my scenario. No issues with him here for 2 more years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Cesc would still be on the team in my scenario. No issues with him here for 2 more years.

Yeah, but I'm not sure that Malcolm is better than Willian right now, so that's why I say that it doesn't make us better in the short term, even a little worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.