Cesc Fàbregas

Tomo

But Oscar's best position is an inverted winger. One of his best games was in that position, away against west ham. Him and hazard with the two behind the striker and could go wide or centrL as they pleased with. Midfield behind him. D like to see William played in that formation rather as a wide winger who is there to track back and lick down a flank

But Oscar's best position is an inverted winger. One of his best games was in that position, away against west ham. Him and hazard with the two behind the striker and could go wide or centrL as they pleased with. Midfield behind him. D like to see William played in that formation rather as a wide winger who is there to track back and lick down a flank

I wouldn't call it inverted winger at all because he doesn't operate like one. He played more of a CM tucking in narrow from the wide position to give us a more 4-man midfield to be able to control the game and give the side a good balance.

Fabregas was good offensively tonight again and he has been so far this season. However, defensive wise, he needs to improve...a lot. His pressing again was like neither here nor there Schalke and left gaps/spaces to be exploited. Would also helpful if he doesn't dwell on the ball for too long..

For it to work - regardless of the system or formation, Matic should be more conservative and hold position more often, he is after all, the team's holding midfielder.

I already shared my views about Fabregas game in the post match thread, but I'll try to watch the match again later this week. He seems just fine imo, can make some adjustments and slight improvements in the defensive aspect of his game, but nothing too life changing. He isn't a defensive midfielder despite being a pivot player. I still believe the moment Matic starts to play better, we won't have much issues and I have problems believing that Cesc's presence is what is causing him issues. He had old Lamps last season many times as his partner and an awful Ramires... Cesc is an improvement - even defensively - on both. Ramires had really a bad second half of season and Matic coped. I know he has more ground to cover now, but if he's actually deeper in the pitch it isn't much more ground. The problem is if he insists on approaching the attack and leaving a huge gap between him and the defense. We have slow CBs, Matic should be closer to them no matter what and who plays by his side at the pivot.

Moving him back was a worry not sure why Jose did that but I thought he had a good game, I'm worried more about the gap between matic and the cb's if I'm honest.

Think it's more a case both of them need to work in tandem (and even the whole team). Can't have one go charging out and then expect the other to cover the space for two.

Think it's more a case both of them need to work in tandem (and even the whole team). Can't have one go charging out and then expect the other to cover the space for two.

We don't need them both to work in tandem or try to because Cesc just is not that player nor do we want him to be.. I want to see him camped on the edge of their box practically putting balls through the eye of a needle :dance:

I thought that defensively, this was his best game so far for us, apart maybe from Burnley. He pressed mostly well and rarely got drawn too much out of position. But people will only remember that he lost the ball for the goal. That's just how football is.