Premier League thread

Jase

Would be surprised if they can maintain their current form for the rest of the season. Not taking anything away from what they have done so far this term but their real test will come soon. From the end of November till begining of January, they'll face Man City, Man United (twice), Arsenal (twice), Chelsea and Everton in 9 matches. Should note that while they are sitting in 2nd, they have actually lost to Liverpool and Tottenham. Think they might finish in a Europa League spot, but not Champions League.

Would be surprised if they can maintain their current form for the rest of the season. Not taking anything away from what they have done so far this term but their real test will come soon. From the end of November till begining of January, they'll face Man City, Man United (twice), Arsenal (twice), Chelsea and Everton in 9 matches. Should note that while they are sitting in 2nd, they have actually lost to Liverpool and Tottenham. Think they might finish in a Europa League spot, but not Champions League.

let's not forget that the Saints defeated le arse in the Emirates in the League Cup. IMHO that was a statement of intent. Koeman does have somewhat of a pedigree, by playing & coaching with the best in the game. Now it's his time to shine. For the Saints to finish in the Top half of the Table will look good on his resume, especially after the turnover they had in the Summer. I will admit I predicted them to go down, but it doesn't look like that will happen now. Then add the way the Saints are playing, defeating teams by 8 goals, they look like a legit threat.

let's not forget that the Saints defeated le arse in the Emirates in the League Cup. IMHO that was a statement of intent. Koeman does have somewhat of a pedigree, by playing & coaching with the best in the game. Now it's his time to shine. For the Saints to finish in the Top half of the Table will look good on his resume, especially after the turnover they had in the Summer. I will admit I predicted them to go down, but it doesn't look like that will happen now. Then add the way the Saints are playing, defeating teams by 8 goals, they look like a legit threat.

Southampton played well against Arsenal in the League Cup and they deserved to win that tie but let's not forget that Wenger fielded a weakened side then. Only 3-4 first choice players started that game. Like I said, I'm not taking anything away from what they have achieved this season but they have mostly beaten teams, whose level is similar to theirs, while suffering defeats against teams a level higher than them. Playing against the bigger teams in those said fixtures will tell us a lot more about them. If they can get say at least 12 points (hopefully none against us!) from those 7 games, then I would say they have done pretty well. As for that 8-0 win over Sunderland, while they were good that day, let's not forget how abysmal Poyet's men were, which made it a lot easier for Southampton. They practically handed them some of the goals.

It would take major fuck ups from all of United, Liverpool, Spurs and even Everton for that to happen.

Honestly, right now, they probably have as much chance of getting relegated as finishing top 4.

It would take major fuck ups from all of United, Liverpool, Spurs and even Everton for that to happen.

Honestly, right now, they probably have as much chance of getting relegated as finishing top 4.

Yeah probably, but I'd still like to see them qualify rather than Manchester United, Everton, Pool, or Tottenham

IMO the Prem will finish something like this:

Chelsea

City

Arsenal

Man Utd

Liverpool

Southampton (probably get into Europa League as one of the cup winners will be in the top 5)

Spurs

Everton

West Ham/Hull/Villa/Stoke/Swansea (safe in mid table in whatever order)

West Brom/Sunderland/Newcastle/Palace (fighting relegation)

Leicester/QPR (probably going down)

Burnley (going down)

Southampton and West Ham have started very well but like Villa have shown - wins can quickly turn to losses when you start taking on big boys and then all your momentum is gone and you lose to someone shit like QPR.

I do reckon they'll still get Europe next season because Spurs and Everton are struggling with managers determined to prove their worth at their new clubs but with thin, weak squads and having to deal with European football.

United will benefit from nothing but PL games until January (like Liverpool did last season) and Liverpool will be better once Sturridge comes back.

Anyone else noticed the difference in schedule between us and City (and united)?

We've played on Sunday and had to play yesterday, just 1 day of rest. City played Saturday and will play today, 3 days of rest.

Also before all the matches against City, Arsenal, United and Liverpool we've had a CL match. While City only had 1 tough week.

I find it very strange, add to this the refereeing against us like last Sunday...

• 2 weeks later...

Our 04/05 and 14/15 combined XI, according to Squawka. Thoughts?e28743d3473e6a8f47c65fd40220af75.jpg

Obviously they messed up with Cole, but whatever.

Drogba on his prime unstoppable, too early for Costa imo. Also Ferreira on his prime too on RB.

Anyway if they have any reason to put Costa already, I could say they must put Matic in.

Were their selections based on statistics?

Could argue Essien should be in there instead of Fabregas.

Maybe they only selected the players from 2004-05, Essien was bought in 2005-06.

Lampard+Essien(prime)+current Matic would be my midfield trio.