Premier League thread

Jase

10 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

Just stumbled across the league table....despite all that has been talked about regarding a crisis and sacking Conte and all that, we're just 3 points off the top of the table!

I get we haven't had the toughest starting fixtures, but points are counted exactly the same against any opposition. For me, win against united next week and it's fantastic start to the campaign. 

Well this is how media works. If Conte is 3 points from the top, Chelsea are in crisis, Conte will be sacked... :D If Jose is 3 points from the top, they are brilliant, they will win the league. :D 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think it's time we started talking about the title. Barring some exceptional events, we will most likely at least be very strong contenders for the title. So here's my view of it:

We currently have 52 points and 17 matches left. I think the minimum target to win the EPL would most likely be around 86 points. In the past decade, only once would 86 points not have won you the title (in fact just twice since the launching of the premiere league itself in 92). That means that of those remaining 17 matches, we will need to get 34 points. That is 11 wins, a draw, and 5 losses or 10 wins, 4 draws, and 3 losses...etc. 

Now if we look at our fixture list, it seems that the remaining tough games where we're more likely to drop points are: Liverpool away, Arsenal at home, City at home, Utd away and we can maybe throw in Everton Away into the mix. Based on the above I think we can afford to not win a single one of those five matches and still get the title if we continue to beat the lower teams in the league as we have done consistently so far this season.

Of course I hope that we do beat other teams in the top 7, especially that there are no guarantees that we will continue our 100% record against the smaller sides, particularly when you see that we seem to be playing all the mid-table teams away from home in the second half of the season. But my point is, if we want to get that title our emphasis should not be just on beating the other title contenders but rather to continue what we've been doing against the smaller sides because even if we fail to beat any of the teams currently in the top 7 we can probably still win the title by beat everyone else in the league. 

35 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

I think it's time we started talking about the title. Barring some exceptional events, we will most likely at least be very strong contenders for the title. So here's my view of it:

We currently have 52 points and 17 matches left. I think the minimum target to win the EPL would most likely be around 86 points. In the past decade, only once would 86 points not have won you the title (in fact just twice since the launching of the premiere league itself in 92). That means that of those remaining 17 matches, we will need to get 34 points. That is 11 wins, a draw, and 5 losses or 10 wins, 4 draws, and 3 losses...etc. 

Now if we look at our fixture list, it seems that the remaining tough games where we're more likely to drop points are: Liverpool away, Arsenal at home, City at home, Utd away and we can maybe throw in Everton Away into the mix. Based on the above I think we can afford to not win a single one of those five matches and still get the title if we continue to beat the lower teams in the league as we have done consistently so far this season.

Of course I hope that we do beat other teams in the top 7, especially that there are no guarantees that we will continue our 100% record against the smaller sides, particularly when you see that we seem to be playing all the mid-table teams away from home in the second half of the season. But my point is, if we want to get that title our emphasis should not be just on beating the other title contenders but rather to continue what we've been doing against the smaller sides because even if we fail to beat any of the teams currently in the top 7 we can probably still win the title by beat everyone else in the league. 

We have to win the league from here, we are on course beat our 2005 points record. Ofcourse im not expecting that to happen im just emphasising what a good position we are in. The only way it can sort of be passed off as anything other than bottling is if we get to late 80s and City, Liverpool or Spurs have a mad run now and get more.

As for the coming fixtures in my opinion we should be looking at winning all bar Anfield right uptill the City game, won't be easy but with Antonios league mentality its certainly doable.

2 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

This season we'll need at least 89points to guarantee the title imo. Everyone in the top six is on course to get above 75points. This is just an unusual season, considering the strength of all the top 6 teams, I think we still need to win 12 and draw some out of the remaining 17 games. 

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

We have to win the league from here, we are on course beat our 2005 points record. Ofcourse im not expecting that to happen im just emphasising what a good position we are in. The only way it can sort of be passed off as anything other than bottling is if we get to late 80s and City, Liverpool or Spurs have a mad run now and get more.

As for the coming fixtures in my opinion we should be looking at winning all bar Anfield right uptill the City game, won't be easy but with Antonios league mentality its certainly doable.

We really are in a great position even if 5/7 points don't seem like much. Statistically we should go on to win the title, but then I remember that we honestly shouldn't be in this position to begin with. On paper our squad is at most the fourth best in the league. Conte and his 3-4-3 system have done absolute miracles for us. But I just keep worrying that eventually someone will 'figure it out'.

If we somehow manage to break our 05 record with all of Moses, Alonso, Cahill and Matic in our XI we should build Conte a bloody statue outside the bridge! 

1 hour ago, kellzfresh said:

This season we'll need at least 89points to guarantee the title imo. Everyone in the top six is on course to get above 75points. This is just an unusual season, considering the strength of all the top 6 teams, I think we still need to win 12 and draw some out of the remaining 17 games. 

Yeah, I think the average of the top teams will be slightly higher this season but I highly doubt any of the teams, us included, will continue with the same averages till the end of the season especially when the bottom teams start fighting a lot harder for points to avoid the relegation zone. 

5 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

We really are in a great position even if 5/7 points don't seem like much. Statistically we should go on to win the title, but then I remember that we honestly shouldn't be in this position to begin with. On paper our squad is at most the fourth best in the league. Conte and his 3-4-3 system have done absolute miracles for us. But I just keep worrying that eventually someone will 'figure it out'.

If we somehow manage to break our 05 record with all of Moses, Alonso, Cahill and Matic in our XI we should build Conte a bloody statue outside the bridge! 

So do i when i look at it from a paranoid fan POV, but i try to flip it and imagine us 7 points behind a team managed by Conte and thed be no way i could think of a way back. If City beat Spurs and we get a result at Anfield we have half a hand on it even this early in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

Yeah, I think the average of the top teams will be slightly higher this season but I highly doubt any of the teams, us included, will continue with the same averages till the end of the season especially when the bottom teams start fighting a lot harder for points to avoid the relegation zone. 

We have got it good as far as that is concerned, it looks like its going to be a four way battle to avoid the drop, we have all four of them at home and three of them before April.