Hotseat 4: Korea Beepu

Spike

Number four belongs to our Kiwi Korean friend @,!

But first remember some basic rules:

• Don't harass other members with inappropriate questions.
  • Don't insult or troll members.
  • Don't expect your question to be answered, it is up to the member to answer it or not. If they feel uncomfortable answering it they have the right to not answer it.
  • Be sensible and respect other users.
  • Have fun!

There are already quite a few people on the list for next hotseats but don't be afraid to nominate yourself!

Previous Hotseat Link:

Hotseat 1: Henrique

Hotseat 2: Madmax

Hotseat 3: Rmpr

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How big is football in Korea? How do e-sports (like Starcraft 2 tournaments etc.) compare to traditional sports? (Football, Basketball etc.) in Korea? Is it as big or almost as big as those conventional sports or is that a myth?

@, I was solely joking in my post in the last thread, hence the :P, sorry if you felt like I was on your case, I wasn't, but I won't mention it again so we avoid the idea. I thought it was always on the Tuesdays (western time), my bad if it was supposed to be only tomorrow.

As for the flavor of the week (;)) I really like your avatars and sometimes signature that seem to feature always the same girl. I wanted to know the story behind them and who is/are that/those girl/s you use

How come you became a Chelsea and football in general fan

Your age and occupation

Places you wanted to visit

Your views about living in Korea, what you like/love and what you wish were different

I think there are alot of misunderstanding here, I am not actually Korean. I just used the name Korea Beepu (which how a native korean would pronounce Korean beef) because it was inspired by a family friend that was comparing New Zealand beef with korean beef. And he was saying "Ooh Korea Beepu row quarity high price, new jirande beepu high quarity row price."

So I am sorry if anyone thought I was Korean......... But as I was growing up I did have Korean influence from family friends etc. And I can speak the language somewhat.

I will answer the questions anyway, since I know what you guys are asking.

Hiw do you think Kora will do at the World Cup, is your opinion affected by the fact that they lost to Tunisia 1-0 today?

Korea may not have the most talented squad but they are no pushovers. I wouldn't know as much as a native Korean would, but they have a decently young squad with players who plays in Europe like Ki Sung Yong and Son Heung Min. I won't say they will reach the heights as in 2002, but I would think they can get out of the group stages. Their group is abit tough though with belgium and russia, but they are seriously hard workers and I think they can pipe russia for 2nd spot.

Sorry if I can't provide a more in depth answer.

How big is football in Korea? How does e-sports (like Starcraft 2 tournaments etc.) compare to traditional sports? (Football, Basketball etc.) in Korea? Is it as big or almost as big as those conventional sports or is that a myth?

I can only tell you from what I hear, from what my friends tell me and what I saw when I was there. But football is quite big in Korea, especially during the worldcup season. They have campaigns to support the national team and have music groups perform to support them. In terms of other sports, I can say that baseball is huge in Korea.

And regarding the e sports, starcraft is absolutely massive. It's not as big as traditional sports but its considerably bigger than other countries. Pro starcraft players are sometimes seen as pro athletes and do make good money!

http://www.cracked.com/article_18763_5-insane-true-facts-about-starcraft-professional-sport.html

@, I was solely joking in my post in the last thread, hence the :P, sorry if you felt like I was on your case, I wasn't, but I won't mention it again so we avoid the idea. I thought it was always on the Tuesdays (western time), my bad if it was supposed to be only tomorrow.

As for the flavor of the week ( ;)) I really like your avatars and sometimes signature that seem to feature always the same girl. I wanted to know the story behind them and who is/are that/those girl/s you use

How come you became a Chelsea and football in general fan

Your age and occupation

Places you wanted to visit

Your views about living in Korea, what you like/love and what you wish were different

The girls on my signature and avatar are from the K-Pop group Crayon Pop. They are quite unique compared to other Korean groups as they are more quirky and comedic rather than the sexy or cute concept other groups use, which is the main reason I like them. As much as I like women and attracted to them, I don't like it so much when women feels that they have to show skin to be someone or to be popular, etc.

The girls on my signature are twins.
5jHTAzM.jpg
The one on the left is Way and the right is Choa.

I became a Chelsea fan in 2002 or 2003, I was about 10 at that time. I knew about Chelsea, but at that point of time I hadn't really decided which team to support, I quite liked United when I was younger because of beckham. I was watching an arsenal game which at that point of time I was neutral but also interested in and was looking at teams I could follow. My dad changed the channel to a chelsea match, at this time my dad quite liked chelsea already because of Zola and Gullit, etc. I complained to my dad for changing the channel and he said "just watch this one, Chelsea is a good team too." So I did and Gudjohnsen really caught my attention. I didn't know why but I liked him, after that I started following them more closely and heard that they were bought by a Russian millionaire.

I remember my mom bought me a notebook with the chelsea team on the cover, Crespo and Veron was there. After that I didn't stop supporting them.

I am 21 years old, currently on my last year of uni studying international business and marketing.

I would like to go to the USA since I've never been there before, London definitely, and maybe Japan for the first time as well.

Edit: forgot to answer your last question!

I cannot say as a Korean, but for me personally who have been there and who have lived with koreans before, I can say that Koreans are very hierarchical. That means that you have to respect the older people full stop. I do think that respect for people older than you is important but not to the extent of how the Koreans are, sometimes older people would take advantage of that 'respect'. While in New Zealand is quite the opposite, I was quite shocked of how things are so casual here. I think there should be a balance between the two. And also, like many asian countries, Koreans are obsessed with physical appearance. Plastic surgery procedures are just like going to the dentists, some guys wear make up etc. It's kind of a shallow way of life I feel, theres nothing wrong in wanting to look good but if its to a point where what people think of you dictates your life then maybe it's a bit too much.

Do you live in fear of a N.Korea attack or does the media play it up a lot?

The general consensus I get is that they don't get bothered by it too much, everybody knows N korea is just all talk. It's like a kid threatening everyone. Alot of the time it's the media I can say.

Do you remember the World Cup 2002?
If so how was that experience for you?

Sorry I don't remember the 2002 world cup very well other than el phenomenon. And I can't answer the second question since i guess youre asking about how a korean would feel having the world cup at home.

My whole life is a lieee....

I'm almost scared to ask.... Where are you from? :ph34r:

Sorry to disappoint you :( Actually I get this alot, since I use this username pretty much everywhere in the past few years.

I was born in Indonesia, now I am in New Zealand.

From your influences, can you enlighten me on the Korean naming customs?

Btw Crayon pop is awesome. :) jumping jumping

What do you mean? Why they have 3 syllable names? like Kim ___ ___?

It's interesting how popular they are now after bar bar bar (jumping song) they were pretty much unknown before that.

Yup.

Park Ji-Sung, Ji-Sung Park - what do you call him? What's the family name?

Now I feel weird asking this to a Kiwi.

The family name is the one in front, so for Park Ji Sung: Family name is Park, Given name is Ji Sung. And the top 3 family names in Korea are 1) Kim 2) Lee 3) Park. So most of them has the same family names but not really related to each other.

The family name is the one in front, so for Park Ji Sung: Family name is Park, Given name is Ji Sung. And the top 3 family names in Korea are 1) Kim 2) Lee 3) Park. So most of them has the same family names but not really related to each other.

errr i am not kiwi. Ive never watched a cricket game my whole life, and dont know who that guy is. Not a fan of the major sports here..

This is even 'worse' than Henrique's.

First you think the guy is a Korean, then you think he's a Kiwi and he ends up being an Indonesian that knows pretty much every language and place in Asia :P

I hope you understand that when I say worse, I mean we knew nothing about you and all our assumptions were wrong.

That's why I like this thing so much.

You said you're majoring on marketing and international business. What are your plans to the future regarding your career?

Where do you usually watch Chelsea matches (the time zone must force you in the house, I suppose)

What is it like living in New Zealand? I feel like Australia is a lot like living in a more 'evolved' Brazil, is NZ similar to Australia when it comes to values and way of live?

What TV shows and books you're currently watching/reading and some of the past that you really enjoyed too?